Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Noise test

This is a discussion on Noise test within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure if this is the correct section to post this but I tried to dial 17070 to check for ...

jay0906 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Noise test

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this but I tried to dial 17070 to check for noise on line due to gradual speed decreases over a period but it doesn't work any more. Wondering whether if the service has been discontinued or just not available on sky any more?

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Noise test

still working on sky networks

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Surely all you need to do is dial a single digit, the dial tone goes off and with a silent line you can hear if there is noise on the line. That's what I do anyway.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah i can hear a bit of constant static/crackling is that normal or worth looking in to?

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

It should be completely silent. Bear in mind that some of the copper lines in this country are eons old and are degrading. But broadband signals like a noiseless line. Try connecting your router to the test socket behind the cover of the BT/Openreach box (master socket) where your line enters your house, you will need to remove the front cover of the box, that is assuming you have a master socket, not everyone has one. You could also try changing the filter if you have a spare. If after connecting to the test socket and trying a different filter you still have noise it could well be down to BT. bear in mind though that if you report a fault on your line and BT find it is on the house side of the master socket they will charge you. Also occasionally an engineer will tell you that BT/Openreach only guarantee voice and not broadband. So be slightly cagey as to how you report any faults to do with broadband. It's fine if your broadband and line are with BT but if you use a different provider, such as Sky, getting BT to admit to a fault is an absolute nightmare.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah all the basic troubleshooting stuff I've tried to no avail. That could be the case I think my flat was built late early 1900's according to a google search it's probably using some really dated wiring. Doubt they will be able to fix that if it's the case would be too big of a job. I was thinking maybe it was overcrowding at the cabinet causing crosstalk or line errors just but cant check any diagnostic information on sky routers which sucks. Well I'll give a few days see if anything changes if not ill give sky a ring and see where we can go from there.