Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help needed to gain a guest wi-fi network, replace SR102 or add 2nd router??

This is a discussion on Help needed to gain a guest wi-fi network, replace SR102 or add 2nd router?? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone, I've just spent an hour reading various threads and getting seriously confused so please bear with me. I ...

jimbofitz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help needed to gain a guest wi-fi network, replace SR102 or add 2nd router??

Hello everyone, I've just spent an hour reading various threads and getting seriously confused so please bear with me. I have a sky fibre unlimited connection and I'm running the supplied SR102 router (which works fine) the thing is we've started hosting on Airbnb and I want to setup a guest wi-fi network so we can limit what our guests can access and avoid anything suspect being downloaded. I know the Sky router doesn't support guest networks so what's the easiest way to achieve this, is it best to replace the SR102 or is it easier to add a second router to the sr102 and create a second wireless network that way, or is there a simpler way to achieve this that I'm unaware of.

Excuse my ignorance but I'm so out of touch with all this, since broadband came along it's just been a case of plugging in the router and everything works, it's so long since I had to actually do anything that all my tech knowledge seems to have evaporated over the years

Cheers James

2. Advertisement
      lettice is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Re: Help needed to gain a guest wi-fi network, replace SR102 or add 2nd router??

You might want to look at the new Sky Broadband Buddy service that Sky have launched recently.
      It will allow you to easily control any guest or family member that connects a device on to your network very easily.

https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics...roadband-buddy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

jimbofitz (08-06-19)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Help needed to gain a guest wi-fi network, replace SR102 or add 2nd router??

thanks but that requires you to set access for each individual device, our airbnb guests would have to download the broadband buddy app which would then generate a QR code that I scan with my phone and then I would be able to set access restrictions for their phone etc

There must be an easier way of doing this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbofitz View Post
      thanks but that requires you to set access for each individual device, our airbnb guests would have to download the broadband buddy app which would then generate a QR code that I scan with my phone and then I would be able to set access restrictions for their phone etc

There must be an easier way of doing this
      They do not have to download the app.
      You can as a controller, just manage their content and access by device.
      It alerts you as a controller when a new device is added and you can then just set a profile on your controller device and select what and when they can see.
      You can do that remotely.

The app is more for adding VPN control to a device, so you can have more granular stats on their use (every service and website they look at) and can monitor those devices away from your house.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lettice For This Useful Post:

jimbofitz (08-06-19)

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You could just use your own all in one modem/router that works with sky or vdsl modem and 3rd party router which will need to support skys option 61 and give you the ability to have
      your wifi setup as you wish. Either of these methods will remove the sr102 from use...
      Last edited by skyeci; 08-06-19 at 02:49 PM.
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to skyeci For This Useful Post:

jimbofitz (08-06-19)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      They do not have to download the app.
      You can as a controller, just manage their content and access by device.
      It alerts you as a controller when a new device is added and you can then just set a profile on your controller device and select what and when they can see.
      You can do that remotely.

The app is more for adding VPN control to a device, so you can have more granular stats on their use (every service and website they look at) and can monitor those devices away from your house.
      You're quite correct! why sky don't make it more obvious I don't know. Now all set up and seems to be working perfectly, albeit for 2.50 a month, thanks for the assistance, much appreciated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbofitz View Post
      You're quite correct! why sky don't make it more obvious I don't know. Now all set up and seems to be working perfectly, albeit for 2.50 a month, thanks for the assistance, much appreciated
      Haha,
      Yes the Sky buddy (is based on the Disney Circle parental controls, that has been around for a few years) does a lot more behind the scenes.
      Do think Sky do not want to make it too complicated upfront for the 'average' user, hence the use of encouraging the use of the apps to make it all a lot easier to get started with.

reghar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01740
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Draytek Vigor 180 + Asus ROG Rapture AX11000 + ASUS RT-N56u wired AP + ASUS RT-AX92u wired AP x2
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

If you have an old router kicking around add a wired ap that transmits Guest. The Asus RT-N56u is old and cheap to buy and with wrt firmware lets you have 2 guest networks while acting as an ap on 2.4 and 5 GHz (isn't fully compatible with Tri bands on 5ghz). Anything in my opinion that sky offer is pretty much geared to frustrate. This method can let you have a 100% secure guest network.