Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upstream speed drop

This is a discussion on Upstream speed drop within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folk, maybe someone would be able to clarify this for me. My upstream speed has dropped by 6mbps over ...

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Upstream speed drop

Hi folk, maybe someone would be able to clarify this for me.

My upstream speed has dropped by 6mbps over night. The line has been stable since DLM finished over a month or so ago. What are the chances that the speed will increase for the upstream again?

Also, after the 10 day training period, does DLM constantly monitor the line and raise/decrease line speed for up and down if errors are fixed/occur?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Upstream speed drop

On fibre DLM constantly monitors the connection but does not respond as quickly as during the training period. What are your line stats? A low upstream noise margin (<6dBs) would make upstream speed recovery unlikely.

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Hope this helps, not sure why it suddenly dropped. I rebooted the router which bought it up slightly. I can try another reboot in a week or so and see what happens?

Broadband Link
      Connection Speed (Kbps) - Downstream: 59381 Upstream: 10421
      Line Attenuation (dB) - DS1:15.0 / DS2:34.7 / DS3:52.3 US0:8.1 / US1:30.1 / US2:44.3
      Noise Margin (dB) - DS1:3.4 / DS2:3.4 / DS3:3.4 US0:6.0 / US1:5.8 / US2:5.8
      Last edited by itype; 04-06-19 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Wrong image uploaded

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Below 6dBs on the US noise margin you are operating near the limit of your connection but as the DS is lower a slight increase could be possible. It wouldn't be worth contacting Sky about the drop in speed they wouldn't do anything.

Turning the router off and on again too often is likely to lower the speed even further though once a week, providing you leave it off for at least thirty minutes, shouldn't cause a problem.

As more and more people get fibre broadband and DSLAM cabinets start to fill up the background noise levels tend to rise resulting in small reductions in speed (over time) for existing subscribers.

All you can really do is ensure that the internal telephone wiring within your property is of good quality and well maintained.

An increase in noise margin or a decrease in line attenuation when plugging the router into the test socket under the removable lower section of modern master sockets would indicate that internal wiring could be causing a reduction in speed.

A filtered faceplate on the master socket often provides better results than using a microfilter.