Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

fibre speed query please

This is a discussion on fibre speed query please within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all been with sky broadband for many years. last 4 or 5 years on fibre and was getting around ...

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

fibre speed query please

hi all

been with sky broadband for many years. last 4 or 5 years on fibre and was getting around 35mb on laptop (or samsung tablet) connected wirelessly in next room from router (which is a glossy black sky hub).

a few months ago (unrequested) i was upgraded at no extra charge to fibre extra, supposedly higher speeds etc. since then my wireless speed to laptop has dropped to around 25mb. if i hold the laptop near the router this usually increases it to around 30mb. my uploads speed remains a constant of approx 15mb and ping of 7mb.

if i plug the laptop (HP Envy, 2 years old) into the router via ethernet i get around 70mb. is there anything i can do to increase my wireless speeds to anywhere near the wired speed.

i wish they hadn't told me i was being upgraded because at that point i was quite happy with 36mb speed but now i know that wired i can get 70mb i would like to get somewhere nearer towards that.

many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      LyndyLou is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rayleigh (EARAY)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: fibre speed query please

I had the same problem as you when upgraded. Phoned Sky to complain and was told that the router I had was not really compatible with the faster fibre broadband. I think the router I had was SR 102 . Agreed to replace with Sky Q Router free of charge but wanted to charge 9.95 for delivery. I told them that if my router was not compatible they should not have upgraded me and to either put me back on the slower fibre or send Sky Q Router free of all charges. I received the Sky Q Router, probably because they would have been unable to reverse the upgrade. With new Router upload speeds increased.