Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By coipu

Sky rolling out Transparent DNS Proxies

This is a discussion on Sky rolling out Transparent DNS Proxies within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I donít know if itís rolled out to all fibre users (certainly isnít on all of any ADSL ones) but ...

wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky rolling out Transparent DNS Proxies

I donít know if itís rolled out to all fibre users (certainly isnít on all of any ADSL ones) but they seem to have started employing Transparent DNS proxies.

For anyone who doesnít know what these are basically it hijacks any custom set DNS servers on a device and redirects it to their own.

I was having issues that seemed to be due to slow DNS updates so I talked to support for the DNS servers I use and they had me check a dns leak testing site which showed a leak as it constantly came back as skyís dns. I contacted Sky about it only to be told they had changed nothing and it was the DNS servers at fault not them. I tried other DNS servers with the same outcome, I even rolled out my own internal one and still the same but Sky help wouldnít accept it was their doing.

I then stumbled across a thread on their own forums with others experiencing it, since then there have now been others who are seeing the same thing.

Eventually in my effort to prove to Sky it was them at fault I find a smart dns service whose help described my issue and steps to test it. I signed up tho their free trail and followed the test process and it confirmed there was a transparent dns proxy in place.

So itís worth checking if they are doing the same to you, especially if you use a different dns on your devices. Do a search for fine outbid your isp is using a transparent proxy to see how to test as you may be thinking you are using a faster, quicker updating, more secure dns than skyís but you may very well just be using skyís

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky rolling out Transparent DNS Proxies

There is no evidence of DNS Leak on my Sky Fibre Pro connection. I know for a fact that my AAISP connection will not be doing such things, so I had to test by forcing IPv6 off and pushing my test machine solely down my Sky connection with manual DNS client settings pointing to 1.1.1.1. DNS Leak test sites consistently reported either Cloudflare for 1.1.1.1, and Level 3 for 4.2.2.2, as expected.

mabuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      There is no evidence of DNS Leak on my Sky Fibre Pro connection. I know for a fact that my AAISP connection will not be doing such things, so I had to test by forcing IPv6 off and pushing my test machine solely down my Sky connection with manual DNS client settings pointing to 1.1.1.1. DNS Leak test sites consistently reported either Cloudflare for 1.1.1.1, and Level 3 for 4.2.2.2, as expected.
      It's implemented in Sky's routers via a recent firmware update. Third party routers used with Sky's connection would be unaffected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mabuk View Post
      It's implemented in Sky's routers via a recent firmware update. Third party routers used with Sky's connection would be unaffected.
      Good it know, but this was not mentioned on the first post, hence my test is still valid. It at least shows that nothing is happening at the ISP level. I'd be seriously concerned if that was the case and I'd be kicking myself for now being in a 18 month contract with Sky fibre. I know they do censor some pirating sites due to High Court orders, but if they were meddling with my DNS (and really, I should state that it's bad enough that they are doing it on their own routers) then I'd have straight up cancelled my line and dropped back to a single VDSL circuit.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

All my traffic (including DNS) goes straight out the VPN apart from catchup on the TVs (havent found a VPN that just works for all uk streaming). Everything gets blocked if VPN goes down. Guess there might be a stricter policy over third party routers coming in the future by the looks of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      All my traffic (including DNS) goes straight out the VPN apart from catchup on the TVs (havent found a VPN that just works for all uk streaming). Everything gets blocked if VPN goes down. Guess there might be a stricter policy over third party routers coming in the future by the looks of it.
      Hmm, that is odd considering that they have recently relaxed that rule.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

It's just a guess on my part of course, but they ain't gonna be able to monitor/sell our data/control as much of the internet as they seem to be trying to do without removing our tools to bypass them. I'm paranoid I know, but I see the Government making all ISPs tighten up on us once more of us are VPNed than not. That or they'll make the VPNs roll over and harvest our data anyway
      dog-man likes this.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Sky have responded on the Sky community forum with the following;

Thanks for your patience.
      Weíve identified the root cause and are working towards a permanent solution.
      In the meantime, if you think youíre impacted by the issue described in this thread, contact Sky.
      An agent will run through some steps and if required, escalate your case to our network team who may need to update your Sky Hub (7days).

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadba...2989332/page/6