Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Replace SR102 with Bridge

This is a discussion on Replace SR102 with Bridge within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Be nice if there was a box that just did this. Was looking at the manual for the Vigor 130 ...

amj.62 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Replace SR102 with Bridge

Be nice if there was a box that just did this. Was looking at the manual for the Vigor 130 and I see you can add DHCP options and I guess option 61. Probably wishful thinking, but any idea if this would work?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Not without double NAT.

ThePeginator is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi all, first post (go easy!). Sorry for dredging, better than a new thread though.

Currently on sky fibre, have long since replaced my sky router with a ASUS RT-N66U via an open reach modem using the well established methods.

My plan is to get one of those AliExpress Celeron boxes to install pfsense on to replace the ASUS and relegate the ASUS to AP duties.

In terms of setup, will that work? Using the pfsense in place of ASUS with the correct config on the WAN side using ‘option 61’, via the open reach modem? I’ve see a lot of people using a vigor 130 but if there’s nothing wrong with the openreach modem that would be ideal.

Ive done some reading and saw it suggested somewhere that sky have dropped their requirement to use their own hardware and that it’s no longer required to use your own username and password information? (Which I have, working on the ASUS from many moons ago) and that there is generic ‘login’ details that can be used instead? Any advantages one way or the other?

I know there’s a fair bit documented on this subject but it’s fragmented across the web and trying to connect the dots as a - relative - layman can be tricky. Cheers.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

I have used opnsense (also free) for 2 years with sky with no problems. Happy to supply settings if you want them. Ipv6 works too with no issues.

My setup like yours has my asus purely for wifi these days..

I have a qotom i5 with 2 nics and ssd.

You can use anything you like for the login provided it's in the right format.

I use to use pfsense but much prefer opnsense but yes they both work.
      Last edited by skyeci; 26-01-20 at 03:02 PM.
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyeci View Post
      I have used opnsense (also free) for 2 years with sky with no problems. Happy to supply settings if you want them. Ipv6 works too with no issues.

My setup like yours has my asus purely for wifi these days..

I have a qotom i7 with 2 nics and ssd.

You can use anything you like for the login provided it's in the right format.

I use to use pfsense but much prefer opnsense but yes they both work.
      That might be very useful if I go down that route. Pfsense looks very powerful but fairly complicated.

Whatís the advantages of opnsense over pfsense? Or at least the fundamental differences? Iím sure I could google it but Iím guessing thereís some reasons specific to this use case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

Opnsense is a fork of pfsense. Bonus for me is a few friends use it plus one of them helped to get it working properly with sky settings at the time.
      Never really had any issues with opnsense since I swapoed over. I use the vpn for inbound to get to my network a fair bit and that all works great too.
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyeci View Post
      Opnsense is a fork of pfsense. Bonus for me is a few friends use it plus one of them helped to get it working properly with sky settings at the time.
      Never really had any issues with opnsense since I swapoed over. I use the vpn for inbound to get to my network a fair bit and that all works great too.
      That does sound ideal. It looks a fair bit simpler and more user friendly that pfsense.

Really all I want is usual home routing stuff, some QOS, probably some basic VLAN stuff and VPN routing as currently Iím doing that on each device but I want to run it on the router going forward. At the moment I donít VPN into the network from outside but that would be a very nice thing to have setup for the future as I work away from home a lot and the ability to get access to the network whilst away could be very handy.

Iím sure setting all that stuff is very well document for opnsense, as it is for pfsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12