Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By seawright

Should I bother with a faceplate?

This is a discussion on Should I bother with a faceplate? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I'm moving house in two weeks and into a property that currently has a standard NTE5 socket. I ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Should I bother with a faceplate?

Hi guys,

I'm moving house in two weeks and into a property that currently has a standard NTE5 socket. I was an early adopter of Sky Fibre back in 2012 so in my current property, an openreach engineer actually installed a VDSL faceplate to the master socket. I can't fault the actual connection, its been stable since day 1.

My new place is in a small village and thankfully they've been Fibre enabled for the past 3 years. If all goes well and I'm able to obtain a spot in the closest green cabinet, my lowest guaranteed speed is 52 Mbps with an estimation of up to 78mbps. In preparation for the move, I bought a new Openreach MK3 faceplate from a popular auction site which comes complete with screws - I've never installed one of these myself but I've heard they are relatively easy to fit, almost like stacking a lego brick I've been told!

A friend of mine also lives in the area and when I visited him the other day, he showed me his fibre setup - he doesn't have a faceplate and is using microfilters around the house, yet he is syncing at 79Mbps. When watching the footy through BT TV, there was no buffering or pauses at all to signify a connection drop. This has led me to wonder whether these days, is it its actually still worth installing the faceplate or, as provided in the self install kits these days, are the filters enough? What I really want to avoid is potentially messing something up with the wiring during an attempt to install or potentially losing speed with the faceplate fixed on.

Interested to hear if the faceplates have benefited others or if the filters are adequate enough for most people?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Should I bother with a faceplate?

If you have microfilters then try using them. Run speedtest a few times. If the speed test results are consistent and fall within the advised range make a note of your router stats and try using your broadband as is for the next 10 days. You can then make a decision as to whether to leave the filters in place or remove them and fit your new faceplate in an attempt to improve performance.
      dankargo likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Should I bother with a faceplate?

You could remove the VDSL filter from your existing house and use it in your new one. According to many reports the Built in VDSL filter is superior to the plug in type.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.