Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Fibre Unlimited and poor wifi performance on ER110

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Unlimited and poor wifi performance on ER110 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Everyone, First time post (hopefully in the right place), so please forgive any noobish questions and a Happy New ...

Thorsy22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Sky Fibre Unlimited and poor wifi performance on ER110

Hi Everyone,

First time post (hopefully in the right place), so please forgive any noobish questions and a Happy New Year to you all.

I'm finally fed up of the woeful wireless performance from the ER110 (which is poor/drops off when outside the room the device is installed in) and wanted some advice/opinions on the way to improve my network.
      I have been doing some research and 2 devices keep popping up the Netgear D7000 and the Asus DSL-AC68U as replacement all in one units, is there any others I should look at as these seem to have been on the market a while - especially with the rate technology is progressing.
      How much benefit/performance difference is there in getting a standalone modem and router (such as the Netgear DM200 and Asus RT-AC68U) - also open to recommendations but dont really want spend a fortune.
      I believe I am on an ECI cabinet if that makes any difference to recommendations.

I also have a billion 7800n modem/router somewhere in the loft from when we moved, but from what I can find although it should support sky fibre am I right in saying only the router part would work not the modem?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited and poor wifi performance on ER110

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsy22 View Post
      Hi Everyone,

First time post (hopefully in the right place), so please forgive any noobish questions and a Happy New Year to you all.

I'm finally fed up of the woeful wireless performance from the ER110 (which is poor/drops off when outside the room the device is installed in) and wanted some advice/opinions on the way to improve my network.
      I have been doing some research and 2 devices keep popping up the Netgear D7000 and the Asus DSL-AC68U as replacement all in one units, is there any others I should look at as these seem to have been on the market a while - especially with the rate technology is progressing.
      How much benefit/performance difference is there in getting a standalone modem and router (such as the Netgear DM200 and Asus RT-AC68U) - also open to recommendations but dont really want spend a fortune.
      I believe I am on an ECI cabinet if that makes any difference to recommendations.

I also have a billion 7800n modem/router somewhere in the loft from when we moved, but from what I can find although it should support sky fibre am I right in saying only the router part would work not the modem?

Thanks in advance.

I would avoid the dsl-ac68u. The modem has been known to have issues. If your billion will support "bridge" mode then you could use that as your modem and buy a decent router with wifi that will work with sky fibre. Most of Asus routers (RT variants) will support merlin so that makes config easy for sky fibre settings such as option 61 for the wan port.

I am on an eci cab too. Apart from latency being quicker on a Lantiq v broadcom modem I prefer broadcom due to easy stats access .
      Last edited by skyeci; 03-01-19 at 08:10 PM.
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyeci View Post
      I would avoid the dsl-ac68u. The modem has been known to have issues. If your billion will support "bridge" mode then you could use that as your modem and buy a decent router with wifi that will work with sky fibre. Most of Asus routers (RT variants) will support merlin so that makes config easy for sky fibre settings such as option 61 for the wan port.

I am on an eci cab too. Apart from latency being quicker on a Lantiq v broadcom modem I prefer broadcom due to easy stats access .
      Thanks for the reply skyeci.
      After checking my BILLION has the firmware for the sky MER/option61 authentication but not the hardware as a dsl modem.
      So my qnext question (sorry) is there any performance difference between the Netgear DM200 and a Draytek vigor130 as the modem considering draytek is more than double the cost of the Netgear?!

Was looking at the Asus RT-AC86U for the router, but is the modem in the DSL-AC88U any good or is it just a bad as the DSL-AC68U's?

Thanks

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

you don't need option 61 if you want to use the billion as a modem only. From what I saw online your billion can be a bridged modem. It's your chosen device as a router that needs option 61 such as the rt-ac68u (install merlin and configure for easy setup). I would set your billion up in bridge mode and check you can get the modem synced to the Telco network. Then if all good you can get a suitable router etc..

I haven't used the dsl-ac88u but it's meant to be high end. No idea if it has option 61 included.. without checking I am not sure.
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Thanks

I've got a small router that has open-wrt support so will test the 7800n in bridged mode later and see how I get on.

hushcoden is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks

Just be aware the Billion 7800n supports ADSL only (not VDSL/fibre)...