Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By Wolfman

Sky Fibre Sync Speed Issue

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Sync Speed Issue within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi There, I am posting as i am on my last tether between Sky and Openreach about the following issue ...

Wolfman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sapcote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Fibre Sync Speed Issue

Hi There,

I am posting as i am on my last tether between Sky and Openreach about the following issue and i would like some advice from some experts to try and help the situation along.

In the summer my speeds and stability are great, however in the autumn and winter everything grinds to a halt, sync speeds drop by 13meg, and the stability goes out the window.

I am estimated a speed of between 33meg, and 40 meg, with a minimum contract speed of 29.1meg.

In the summer i see circa 33/35meg, however whenever it gets cold the line suffers and drops meaning i have circa 12 engineer visits a year. They presume i have a lot of aluminium but the records are poor and they are struggling, though have said they won't replace it in any case.

This is currently my router stats page.

Sky Fibre Sync Speed Issue-screenshot-2018-12-23-17.03.01.jpg

Any help or advice?

Thanks for your help or advice.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre Sync Speed Issue

It's just a guess, but it is possibly due to a loose joint expanding and contracting during the hot/cold seasons. There is not much you can do about it if the BTO can't find the fault.
      Have you tried Sky's diagnostic tool? https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics...and-diagnostic

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi,

thanks for responding.

The Sky tests always come back and tell me something is amiss but never tells me what, Sky just say they don’t know and it needs Openreach to come again. Openreach tests and comes back with a good line, though they openly admit it’s got issues but we argue about what speed is acceptable as they want me to accept 20meg as a sync speed. They don’t know what the problem is aside from making the assumption I have old aluminium. Last time they came the crc errors were high however.

Will suggest a loose joint to them in a weeks time when they can next come.
      they believe the line is 787m long, Openreach refuse to replace it as am told for broadband issues they never replace lines, without the speed issue the stability is useless generally.

Thanks

As a follow up.

Does anyone know what tolerance for stability Openreach allow?

This week the service has been unusable on and off, websites won't load, lots of disconnections, today Openreach changed my twisted pair to a better one (on paper, better stats) which dropped my speed from 30 meg to 20 meg (12 meg wired speedtest versus 28meg before the change so was useless) yet router stats page suggests identical speeds should be attained, so that being so rubbish they put me back on the original pair. They reset the Dlm and said can't find the fault and have left it meaning when it works its quick but i can't stream netflix right now as it isn't stable, as it stops working and says no internet connection.

Any ideas? they refuse to do anything as they accept an issue present but don't know what as no pattern aside from weather.

I have a minimum of 12 joints, and most in man holes they can't reach due to location and depth so refuse to go in them.

Would appreciate any further advice.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you can't get a decent phone line and Virgin Media is not available have you considered mobile broadband?

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      If you can't get a decent phone line and Virgin Media is not available have you considered mobile broadband?
      Problem with Mobile Broadband is usage limits are not generous and can be very expensive. Streaming one Netflix movie can pretty much use up the majority of your data.

I would keep on at Openreach, its not acceptable for them to just shrug at the issue and expect you to put up with it when you're paying the same as everyone with a stable connection.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

The 'hand back' speed is shown on the latest BT Fibre checker. Unfortunately this is the sync speed and not the speed you actually get.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your time and advice.

i wanted to close out for anyone else having similar issues.

Openreach finally found the fault which was intermittent along some aluminium cable, after a few hundred meter replacement was completed my speed is sat at 36.9meg and it’s rock stable, so after years have the best of both worlds.

thanks again, and good luck to everyone else suffering.
      Isitme and seawright like this.