Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving into new house - a few fibre related questions

This is a discussion on Moving into new house - a few fibre related questions within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, It's been a while since I've posted so I hope you're all well Within the next few months ...

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Moving into new house - a few fibre related questions

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted so I hope you're all well

Within the next few months I'll be moving away from the busy area I currently live in and to a small village. Luckily the street I'm moving to is Fibre enabled and is accepting orders. I'm currently on Sky's 38mbps unlimited Fibre package and have been so since the product was first announced back in 2012 (I was told by the Openreach engineer at the time that I was the first person on the street to take fibre!). I received an email from Sky a few weeks ago stating that the network had been upgraded area by area and as a result I was to be upgraded to Fibre Max at no extra cost. My first question is, would I be eligible for the Fibre Max upgrade once I move to the new address or is it something that was exclusive to the street I am soon moving out of. I checked the speed at my new house by using BT Wholesale checker as well as Plusnet and the results showed a minimum speed guarantee of 52.5 Mbps. Not quite sure what the stats on BTO showed, hoping someone will be able to elaborate a bit.

Moving into new house - a few fibre related questions-screenshot-2018-12-16-23.45.40.jpg

Finally, ideally I'd like as little downtime as possible (like most people I guess). Is it a case of alerting Sky of the house move and arranging a switch on date at the new property? (preferably my move in date). Will I be able to just bring my router and plug it in straight away once the line is switched on or will I require an engineer visit like I did back in 2012? If I remember correctly, Sky did away with the engineer visits a few years back and began sending out self install kits. Unfortunately, I don't have such a kit - the Openreach engineer fitted a new faceplate on my master socket so not a filter in sight.

The area I'm moving to is not Virgin Media enabled so no doubt everyone will have a BT line. The current occupants have Sky Broadband, though I forgot to ask whether this was Fibre or standard. I'll assume it was Fibre as they had 2 teenagers streaming Netflix when we viewed the property and on a quick check, the estimated ADSL speed is between 1.5 - 2.0mbps (eek!)

I think that's all the questions I have for now, I'm hoping someone is kind enough to answer my queries Hoping all goes well and we don't face a 'cabinet full' situation like a friend of mine did when he moved last year.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Moving into new house - a few fibre related questions

My first question is, would I be eligible for the Fibre Max upgrade once I move to the new address
      I am prety sure the upgrades are done by region, not user. It is possible your new area has already been upgraded. Why not ask the present occupants?

Finally, ideally I'd like as little downtime as possible
      It is difficult to say. The fact that Sky are active on the line may help, but normally it takes up to 2 weeks for a transfer to go live. Your best bet would be to get in touch with the Home Moving Team and see what they have to say.
      https://www.sky.com/help/articles/moving-home-with-sky

The estimated speeds look very good, even impacted is 70Mb+. The 54Mb figure is the absolute miniimum you are gauranteed. If you receive less than this you can cease the contract with no penalty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Many thanks for the reply

I’ll confirm with Sky then on whether the upgrade will be honoured at my new address. I’m glad the estimated speeds are good, I’d be happy with anything above 35mbps as long as it’s stable.

I viewed the house again last night and the current owners do not have a VDSL faceplate on their line. The owners were not home so they had a friend let us in and show us around, unfortunately they couldn’t confirm whether they were on Fibre or ADSL. They were using micro filters however.

It’s a bit of a shame as I would have much preferred a VDSL faceplate rather than having to use filters. I remember back in 2012 when I had Fibre installed at my current property, I was told by the Openreach engineer that a new faceplate was definitely required as the older type ones couldn’t support the higher speeds. What’s changed from now and then? I’m guessing Sky won’t grant it if I request for an engineer to do a full fibre install, they seem to be sold on self install these days :/

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

With regards the VDSL faceplate, there is nothing to stop you taking your existing one with youm so long as you leave the Master socket in servicable condiion. It is easy to remove and refit, although you may need the original screws to refit the faceplare..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.