Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree4Likes
    • 1 Post By tenar
    • 1 Post By 146Kg
    • 1 Post By Isitme
    • 1 Post By rogjack

Has latest firmware upgrade caused our problems?

This is a discussion on Has latest firmware upgrade caused our problems? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; We are running 2.08.2406.R on an ER115. I noticed yesterday that the menus looked different from when I last looked ...

RichardH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leagrave
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Has latest firmware upgrade caused our problems?

We are running 2.08.2406.R on an ER115. I noticed yesterday that the menus looked different from when I last looked about a month ago.

Until recently, we haven't been directly connected to the master socket and so didn't feel we could complain about slow speeds when compared to the 39999 and 9999 we are supposed to get. However, a month ago we had a number of changes made in the house and one of them was to directly connect the Sky Router/Modem to the Master socket.

We had horrendous trouble getting the broadband to work initially after moving the box into the hallway where the master socket is located. Had about a 90 minute support call with Sky but was eventually able to get devices reconnecting via wired and Wi-Fi.

We have been monitoring the speeds ever since, and have had some awful speeds that vary from minute to minute. Sometimes it can be as low as 1.56 Mbps on downloads, whereas upload speed is nearly always averaging around 8.5Mbps or so. Within minutes we can go from very low to closer to what we should be getting, e.g. the other morning we went from 3.8 or so to 36Mbps within five minutes and this was measured on a direct wired link from laptop to modem.

I have noticed in the logs that it is renewing the IP lease about every 25 - 30 minutes. Is this normal? Also I seem to get Link DOWN on the Logical port: 3 followed by Link UP 10-15 seconds later. One port is connecting to a Network switch elsewhere, and the other is usually connected to a Powerline plug that is plugged directly into the wall socket next to the socket that the Sky Modem/Router is plugged into.

As an aside, the connectivity on the (admittedly six years old) TP-Link powerline plugs has progressively been getting worse recently. To make matters worse, the two Network switches I have been using (with one daisy-chained to the other) packed up after moving the powerline plug into a different room and feeding off the switch rather than being directly plugged next to the Sky modem/router. Basically, a number of things have all gone pear-shaped around the same time and it's hard to know what to point the finger at!

What could cause such an obvious fluctuation in Download speed on a Sky Fibre Unlimited connection? Is the old contention ratio still a factor? Any pointers before I get back on the phone to Sky would be much appreciated!
      Last edited by RichardH; 09-11-18 at 04:30 PM.
      Richard H.

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Has latest firmware upgrade caused our problems?

i would eliminate power sockets as this maybe causing the disconnects from what your describing
      RichardH likes this.

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Yes it is normal for the lease to be renewed approx every 30 mins.
      I concur that powerline connectors are likely to be the problem, they will hardly work at all in extension leads and filtered sockets (or in adjacent sockets to filters).
      This could also be causing the link down/up problem.
      The "changes to the house", did it involve any electrical alterations to the ring main/s ?
      I suspect the positive move to use the master socket has been more than swamped by powerline issues.
      I'd remove all powerline connectors and test the speed using a patch lead from the hub to a PC/laptop and if that is OK work out where or if powerline connectors will work for you now.

Please let us know how you get on.
      RichardH likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      Yes it is normal for the lease to be renewed approx every 30 mins.
      I concur that powerline connectors are likely to be the problem, they will hardly work at all in extension leads and filtered sockets (or in adjacent sockets to filters).
      This could also be causing the link down/up problem.
      The "changes to the house", did it involve any electrical alterations to the ring main/s ?
      I suspect the positive move to use the master socket has been more than swamped by powerline issues.
      I'd remove all powerline connectors and test the speed using a patch lead from the hub to a PC/laptop and if that is OK work out where or if powerline connectors will work for you now.

Please let us know how you get on.
      We did have work done on the electrics. The living room had new lights, new sockets and so on.

My speed tests have been performed using a lead directly into the Sky Modem/Router, so where the speedtest results has plummeted, the laptop being used was not using a powerline device at all.

I have read that any powerline plug should not be plugged in next to the modem/router but it was moving the powerline away into the other room that seems to have caused part of the problem.

I think the speed issue is separate to the other issues and is something I need to speak to Sky about. The powerline issue (and the fact that I have two WD Cloud storage devices that have both been knocked out by the recent issues) is something that I need to do a separate investigation on.

One last thing - how long should it take Catchup TV on the Sky+Hd box to come back up after a break in network connectivity? I replaced the two 8x network switches for one 16x switch and all the other devices that use the switch worked again almost immediately, but the Sky box says it isn't connected to the network. Any ideas on that one?

Thanks in advance!
      Richard H.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have you checked the network settings on the box? Could need reset, or powering the box of for a few seconds the on again may cure the problem.
      RichardH likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Unfortunately, rebooting just made the Sky+ HD box fail to get an IP address as well as fail to allow Catchup.

Also noticed that the admin pages on the Sky+ HD box are only showing wireless connections. A few wired connections are working but others are failing to get an IP address even tohugh they are all going through the exact same (brand new) network switch, which is directly connected to the Sky Router/Modem.

This seems to me like DHCP is behaving sporadically at best on wired connections.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, but I will definitely be on the phone to Sky tomorrow after work.
      Richard H.

rogjack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shenley Church End
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

The latest firmware from Sky (2406R) has caused problems with DNS on the ER115, there is a big thread over on the Sky official forums. People are having to reset the router at least once a day. The only workaround at the moment is to override the Sky DNS settings in the router by assigning the DNS at the PC. Most are using Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

The problem has been reported to Sky multiple times but very little action at the moment. They either send out another router or arrange a visit from an engineer. Neither fixes the problem.
      RichardH likes this.

Thanks

That's interesting. I will try that.

However, I have just spotted something else. On my LAN (which has only been running for about 4 and a bit days, i.e. 100 hours since it was last turned off), I have what looks like a staggering number of collision pkts - 9613782! That doesn't look right to me?!
      Richard H.

Thanks

Just looked through the opening few messages on that official forum thread and it does seem likely that this is the same issue.

Thanks for pointing that out. I will now plough through some pages and see what it's all about.
      Richard H.

rogjack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shenley Church End
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Having received around 200 replies to this problem on the Sky official forum it is now down for updating.

A suspicious person might think they were hiding something. Will the thread still be there when it returns?