Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unstable sky fibre speeds and disparity between sync speeds and download speeds

This is a discussion on Unstable sky fibre speeds and disparity between sync speeds and download speeds within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello I am hoping you can help with some speed issues that we have been having with our SKY Fibre ...

pearls_girl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unstable sky fibre speeds and disparity between sync speeds and download speeds

Hello

I am hoping you can help with some speed issues that we have been having with our SKY Fibre

We have had SKY products for years and years and we recently upgraded to SKY Fibre Unlimited 40/10 from SKY Broadband Unlimited.

We used to be on SKY Broadband Unlimited (before moving to Fibre) and we used to get a solid and stable 5 mbps and I could ALWAYS get a TOTAL download speed of about 500 kilobytes/sec

What I mean is let us say I was downloading multiple files and yes a few were slow or fast etc but because I would have many going at the same time my TOTAL download speed was ALWAYS hitting about 500 kilobytes/sec

We got an activation date of 30th July 2018 and on that day we had some Engineer telephone us and tell us that SKY Fibre was active on our line and we would have a 10 day testing period where the speed would be “up and down” and after that we should have a stable speed on our line.

I tested the speed on about 13th August 2018 onwards (well after the initial 10 day testing period) and the problem was that it was inconsistent sometimes I would get 37 mbps and then the next day it would 20 - 25 mbps and then a few hours afterwards it could be 15 mbps

If I would say an average or the most common then I would say most of the speed results were 20 mbps - 35 mbps but the point is that it is NOT stable!!

I could download files from Ubuntu or Microsoft or the Java SDK etc at solid 3 to 3.7 megabytes/sec and some other day it would be just 2 megabytes/sec

I could NOT understand why I was not getting a STABLE speed - as I was told AFTER the 10 day testing period (DLM) then you should get a STABLE speed

I understand that you are going to say that there are a ZILLION factors that affect speed etc and yes I understand that - the POINT that I am making even if a server or file is downloading slow and I am downloading MULTIPLE files from DIFFERENT servers etc then I SHOULD be hitting the TOP speed and whether that it is 2 megabytes/sec or 3.5 megabytes/sec it SHOULD be the same

I rang SKY support and they checked our line and I was told we were synced at the MAXIMUM which was 40/10 and I was told to check my Router Setup web page 192.168.0.1 and it was synced at 39999 kbps (upstream) and 9999 kbps (downstream)

FWIW I was told by SKY support that the Engineer had connected us to a cabinet which was MUCH closer to our house than what SKY had thought we would connect to when we ordered the SKY Fibre and that was why we got a MUCH higher sync/download speed than we were told during the ordering process.

The router we have is the Model ER115

Downstream
      -----------------

Connection Speed: 39999 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 14.7 dB
      Noise Margin: 25.1 dB

Upstream
      --------------

Connection Speed: 9999 kbps
      Line Attenuation: 15.7 dB
      Noise Margin: 31.31 dB

I understand you get a TONNE of people who have this problem but I do NOT get it - pre Fibre I used to get a SAME speed and if I downloaded multiple files and I ALWAYS hit the TOP speed - why does it NOT happen NOW??

I did connect my laptop to the SKY router using an ethernet cable (about 3 metres long) and there was NO improvement in download speeds when I did a few download tests

I am NOT an expert on computers and Internet and stuff but I try to understand things as much as I can - I just want to understand why the speed is NOT stable and why there is a DIFFERENCE between sync speed and actual total download speeds we are getting (throughput speed?) - sometimes I can get a total download speed of 3.7 - 4.2 megabytes/sec at other times it is a total download speed of just 2 megabytes/sec??

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Unstable sky fibre speeds and disparity between sync speeds and download speeds

your line will support 80/20 I would think with an attenuation of 14.7.mine is 14.9 and I am around 65/20 on eci cab. If I was on huawei it might be a bit higher due to g.inp and lower snr profiles. The closer cab part is just not true. Open reach will not move a line between cabs. just doesn't happen...

re download speeds I suppose it's possible you may be seeing the effects of a busy cab or even the router itself if you doing this over wifi etc? In your case the 10 day thing won't apply. Your line is already connected at full speed for the chosen product. I do see download speeds changing at times (throughput and not sync).

have you tried a wired speed test from think broadband ?Wireless test is not accurate enough.
      Last edited by skyeci; 18-08-18 at 05:12 AM.
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats

click for Huawei VDSL line stats

pearls_girl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Unstable sky fibre speeds and disparity between sync speeds and download speeds

I just want to give an update if it helps anyone.

I was getting good speeds but not hitting the top speeds that we should have been getting as we were syncing at 40/10 - so the theoretical maximum speed should be 40 megabits/sec which is 5 megabytes/sec and obviously you will NOT hit that and the best you will get is 90% or so

I was using a rubbish cheap HP laptop and it got 3.5 - 3.8 megabytes/sec and even with an Ethernet connection to the Router it made NO DIFFERENCE

I then got a NEW Surface Book 2 (about a month old) laptop and when I got it setup and tried downloading from Steam and I was surprised to see that I was consistent 4.5 megabytes/sec and a lot of the times I was getting 4.8 megabytes/sec and I think the highest was 4.9 megabytes/sec

I also got a consistent 4.5 megabytes/sec on GOG Downloader (Good Old Games) and I was getting 4.3 - 4.8 megabytes/sec using other well known downloading methods/programs

I also got same results using a year old Surface Book - it seems that the laptops with good processors and that are NEW get the top speeds that your Router is showing

I also tested a Dell XPS 15 with a core i7 quad core processor and 32 GB RAM and that was SLOW - maybe cause it was a few years old??

I did look at the WiFi properties in the Surface Book 2 and the WiFi channel matched what the Router was saying and on the old HP it was NOT so maybe that has something to do with it??

I am NOT 100% sure why it is but some machines hit the top speed and others do NOT and it must be to do with some settings or hardware power??