Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Best Access Point with VPN functionality to add to SR102?

This is a discussion on Best Access Point with VPN functionality to add to SR102? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello Everyone. I have never really liked the SR102 that I have with my Sky Fibre, but lived with it ...

dsab85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Best Access Point with VPN functionality to add to SR102?

Hello Everyone.

I have never really liked the SR102 that I have with my Sky Fibre, but lived with it so far. But more recently the WiFi performance has been very patchy, with multiple devices regularly dropping connections and unable to reconnect etc.

In addition to that I have now a need to use VPN for some Web activities, and as I am unable to use VPN on those devices (TV's) directly I will need to add that functionality via the Router.

So for ease of setup I was thinking about keeping the existing Sky Hub SR102 as the modem/ethernet device and to disable Wifi on it, and to connect a new Router solely as a WiFi Access point.

Which Router/Access point would people recommend for this kind of setup, or should I rather consider a full replacement of the Sky Hub?

Only two requirements are:

- Has to provide daster and more reliable WiFi then the Sky Hub (shouldn't be too difficult)
      - Router needs to be able to run a VPN, ideally one that lets you configure which of the connected devices use the VPN and which are not.

I have no set budget, but would like to stay around the 100 - 150 mark. Seems the ASUS devices are favored by many and would do what I want it to do, but there are so many different Versions that I am not sure which one would be best suited, and which ones might be overkill.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
      dsab

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Best Access Point with VPN functionality to add to SR102?

The first issue you'll hit is that there are few modem/router combos that support VPN, only two come to mind and that's the Draytek Vigor 2860 - not cheap, and the Asus DSL-AC86, but to be honest the modem is bag of pants, although through firmware updates it is now far better than when it was first released, then it was a sack full of pants.

That leaves you with a split option, separate router and modem, a better choice as you can keep the modem for as long as VDSL is the norm, that's possibly decades at the rate BTOR are rolling out g.fast. A standard BTOR HG612 will sort out the modem side, but best to know what type of Openreach cabinet you are connected to, and then obtain either an ECI or Huawei model to match.

Once that's out of the way then you can look for a router that does what you need, the ASUS-RT-AC68 is good as are its more expensive brothers, they have VPN and they support, and this is very important, Option61 which is needed to be able to connect to Sky.

You also need to ask yourself what type of VPN, as if you want to connect to a VPN provider, then the ASUS may not work....

Lot's of questions? ask away.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

dsab85 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

The ASUS-RT-AC68 was actually the one I had an eye on. I still have an old openreach modem in the attic, so could either use it with that or as a Access Point connected to the Sky Hub. What would provide better performance, in your opinion?

The VPN provider I was planning to use is NordVPN, and according to their own website their VPN access can be configured on the ASUS.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Use the SR102 as a doorstop, it's far better suited.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll need to do the option61 fix for the Asus, there are many posts on this forum about that. Look for posts by Shonk, he da man when it comes to Asus.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.