Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Echolife HG612 - Limitations?

This is a discussion on Echolife HG612 - Limitations? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Morning, I've just switched provider to Sky and with the help of MaccaUK and Skyeci's posts in other threads, I ...

bathingape is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U with HG612
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Echolife HG612 - Limitations?

Morning, I've just switched provider to Sky and with the help of MaccaUK and Skyeci's posts in other threads, I have managed to connect to Sky seamlessly without having to plug in my new Sky hub.

I am using the Asus RT-AC68U along with the BT Echolife HG612 modem. My question is that are there any limitations on what speeds the HG612 can handle? I am now up to 76MB before with my line estimating a speed of between 60-70. Hopefully I'll reach those speeds but is the HG612 capable?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Echolife HG612 - Limitations?

Not quite sure that I understand your post. Are you saying that your current download speed is higher than your estimated download speed or are you saying that you do not believe the speed that is being reported?

Due to protocol overheads, speed test results will always be lower than the sync speed reported by your modem/router.

Do you know whether the fibre street cabinet your line is connected to is ECI or Huawei as your modem should work best when connected to a Huawei dslam?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Not quite sure that I understand your post. Are you saying that your current download speed is higher than your estimated download speed or are you saying that you do not believe the speed that is being reported?

Do you know whether the fibre street cabinet your line is connected to is ECI or Huawei as your modem should work best when connected to a Huawei dslam?
      Right now the modem is reporting as syncing at 50/20. I'll wait a few days before complaining that I'm not near 70/20

However my question is basially to determine if these HG612 modems have a limit as to what speeds they can handle?

Also is there any way of determining what my fibre street cabinet is connected to?

Thanks

The HG612 is capable of handling download speeds of up to 80 Mb/s. I have heard of higher speeds being reported but I'm sceptical of these reports.

There is info here:
      ::. Kitz - Cabinet Lookup .::
      on identifying the type of fibre cabinet you are connected to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

bathingape (01-12-17)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bathingape View Post
      Right now the modem is reporting as syncing at 50/20. I'll wait a few days before complaining that I'm not near 70/20

However my question is basially to determine if these HG612 modems have a limit as to what speeds they can handle?

Also is there any way of determining what my fibre street cabinet is connected to?
      Managed to retrieve that by Telnet. Looks like I'm connected to BDCM/Huawei.

Thanks

The modem should be fine. Not sure about the router you are using though. I will leave it to others with personal experience of the Asus RT-AC68U to comment on this.

With fibre the initial connection speed is the highest that is likely to be obtained and this is reduced over time if the error rate is too high. It may be best to wait a few days to see if the connection speed changes but if you don't achieve a speed within the range quoted when you ordered Sky Fibre you will have to speak with Sky's technical department which will necessitate swapping back to Sky supplied equipment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

bathingape (01-12-17)

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Billion 8800NL V1(bridge mode) + APU2C4 Pfsense box 2.4.0-RC (amd64) with IPV6
      Thanks

You need to provide detailed line stats from the 612 to see what's happening. Are you g.inp enabled yet? If not most likely you will pick up some sync on the ds...also huawei cabs benefit from lower DS snr profiles. This will also improve ds sync, my mums line went from 50 to 79 on the ds due to g.inp and ds lower snr profiles as she is very close to the cab. Dlm handles all this and not sky. How long have you been on fttc

You can unlock the 612 if you haven't already to obtain stats.. the hg612 is perfectly adequate for 80/20 vdsl
      Billion 8800NL modem (bridge mode)
      Pfsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

Upload stats user: SKYECI
      See mydslwebstats.co.uk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to skyeci For This Useful Post:

bathingape (04-12-17)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyeci View Post
      You need to provide detailed line stats from the 612 to see what's happening. Are you g.inp enabled yet? If not most likely you will pick up some sync on the ds...also huawei cabs benefit from lower DS snr profiles. This will also improve ds sync, my mums line went from 50 to 79 on the ds due to g.inp and ds lower snr profiles as she is very close to the cab. Dlm handles all this and not sky. How long have you been on fttc

You can unlock the 612 if you haven't already to obtain stats.. the hg612 is perfectly adequate for 80/20 vdsl
      Sorry for the delayed reply.

You need to provide detailed line stats from the 612 to see what's happening.
      Which stats can I provide mate? My HG612 is unlocked and I have the HG612 tool running (nearly) 24/7 collecting stats

Are you g.inp enabled yet?
      What is g.inp and how do I determine if I am enabled?

How long have you been on fttc
      I have been on FTTC with BT since May 2016 (50/10) at current premises and only switched to Sky last week (76/20).

Really reluctant to start messing about with things until I know what to do and what to look for as I don't want DLM restricting my line due to constant modem restarts

Also, I'd say i'm around 200 yards from my cabinet.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Billion 8800NL V1(bridge mode) + APU2C4 Pfsense box 2.4.0-RC (amd64) with IPV6
      Thanks

are you uploading your stats to mdws? if not you can upload limited stats for free at or pay a donation for full uploads. take a look.
      www.mydslwebstats.co.uk

You could post a screen grab from "stats" screen from hg612 stats if you are using thar. will tell you if g.inp is on or not. your snr profile and attenuation figure etc.. useful to see..

no need to reboot anything.
      Billion 8800NL modem (bridge mode)
      Pfsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

Upload stats user: SKYECI
      See mydslwebstats.co.uk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to skyeci For This Useful Post:

bathingape (04-12-17)

Exchange:
      Thanks

are you uploading your stats to mdws? if not you can upload limited stats for free at or pay a donation for full uploads. take a look.
      www.mydslwebstats.co.uk

You could post a screen grab from "stats" screen from hg612 stats if you are using thar. will tell you if g.inp is on or not. your snr profile and attenuation figure etc.. useful to see..

no need to reboot anything.
      Are these screenshots useful?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast