Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New master socket slower

This is a discussion on New master socket slower within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Iím hoping someone on here might be able to help with my fibre speeds. Iíve been on unlimited fibre ...

andrewtjb12 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy New master socket slower

Hi

Iím hoping someone on here might be able to help with my fibre speeds. Iíve been on unlimited fibre for a while and had full sync at 40/10. This week I decided to upgrade to sky fibre max after seeing my estimate of 62-76mpbs. I was a little disappointed to see I was only syncing at 63/20 rather than being on the higher end.

After connecting the sky q hub my sync increased slightly to 64/20 and my line attention increased slightly. I was looking around at ways to improve my sync speed and decided to upgrade my master socket to the newest NTE5C with the MK4 face plate to see if it would improve things.

First thing I noticed is after turning the router back on after the change it was syncing back down at 63/20 so I rebooted again and it dropped down to 59/19 and now its dropped again to 57/17

Any idea why the new socket would cause it to drop? Surely it should be the opposite?

I donít know what model socket I had before as thereís nothing written on it. It had screws holding the two wires in rather than the clamp.

Another odd thing Iíve noticed is the sky site reckons Iím still at 64mpbs.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: New master socket slower

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtjb12 View Post
      Hi

Iím hoping someone on here might be able to help with my fibre speeds. Iíve been on unlimited fibre for a while and had full sync at 40/10. This week I decided to upgrade to sky fibre max after seeing my estimate of 62-76mpbs. I was a little disappointed to see I was only syncing at 63/20 rather than being on the higher end.

After connecting the sky q hub my sync increased slightly to 64/20 and my line attention increased slightly. I was looking around at ways to improve my sync speed and decided to upgrade my master socket to the newest NTE5C with the MK4 face plate to see if it would improve things.

First thing I noticed is after turning the router back on after the change it was syncing back down at 63/20 so I rebooted again and it dropped down to 59/19 and now its dropped again to 57/17

Any idea why the new socket would cause it to drop? Surely it should be the opposite?

I donít know what model socket I had before as thereís nothing written on it. It had screws holding the two wires in rather than the clamp.

Another odd thing Iíve noticed is the sky site reckons Iím still at 64mpbs.

Thanks

I can't comment on the MK4, but I know the Mk3 had a more aggressive REIN protection which did in many cases lowered the sync.

Do you have an HG612 modem that give you max obtain etc?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately, I don’t I only have the sky hub sr-102 and the sky q hub.
      My speed has dropped again in the early hours its now synced at 54/17 I tried taking the filer off and using the test socket but it didn’t make much difference.
      I even tried putting the old socket back on but it’s still the same so it looks like I’m going to have to give sky a call as I’m assuming there must be a fault somewhere.
      My ping has also gone up from 15ms to 32ms.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I just got off the phone with them the lady I spoke to reckons its synced at 58 on there end even though my router says 54 so she had me reset the router which brought it back up to 55 which she reckons is an acceptable speed.

I tried to explain that its dropped down by quite a bit but all she said was that the line may have dropped for stability and I should wait to see if it will increase gradually.

I suppose I’ll just have to wait and see, in the meantime I think I’m gonna reconnect my archer c2 backup, so I can get some decent WIFI because this sky q hub seems rubbish.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you have a separate modem you can reboot your router with impunity. If not leave your router off for at least an hour when replacing or manually rebooting it otherwise the equipment in the street cabinet may mistake the reboot for a line fault and reduce your download speed to compensate.

JayCee9 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Strathaven
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity option 2
      Router: Netgear D6300
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      otherwise the equipment in the street cabinet may mistake the reboot for a line fault and reduce your download speed to compensate.
      Thatís probably whatís happening with the OP constantly switching off/disconnecting.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah at this point I'm assuming DLM has kicked in as I've dropped down lower again. Spoke to sky again yesterday and they've agreed to send a engineer out to check the internal wiring. So hopefully they can put in a request to reset the DLM.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 41215 kbps 18197 kbps
      Line Attenuation 18.1 dB 0.0 dB
      Noise Margin 8.3 dB 5.5 dB

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

Sounds like to many resyncs in quick succession. Probably now interleaved and with delay due to dlm wanting to keep stability. Hard to tell without unlocked modem. Has your ping increased? If so would suggest delay is on...

Sky's estimates can be off, mine is plus there are other factors like line condition/noise etc...cab type.. if you are on huawei you could benefit from g.inp with increased sync for example..
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes ping has increased used to get ping of 15ms on speed test now getting 38ms.
      Any idea if sky can reset dlm themselves or will open reach have to do it?

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

No they cant. Only an engineer can do it or engineer via network centre etc.

You might want to get a modem you can unlock and view stats if you are into that.

A reset woukd probably put you on an open profile.

Do you know your FTTC cab type. Be good to know.

If it's a large unit next to the pcp it will be hauwei. If it's a small one door unit most likely eci...

Huawei has the benefit of g.inp etc where as on eci we do not at the moment.

Sounds like you are now interleaved with delay to me. Speed test needs to be wired though and not wireless
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New master socket slower-screenshot_20171106-185515.jpg  
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast