Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Q hub and access point help

This is a discussion on Q hub and access point help within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, looking for some help here. My brother upgraded to Sky Fibre max recently and as part of the upgrade ...

glenns04 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Q hub and access point help

Hi, looking for some help here.
      My brother upgraded to Sky Fibre max recently and as part of the upgrade recieved a Q hub. The wifi speed and range is terrible compared to the sr102 (troubleshooting done and even had a replacement hub from Sky).
      He has a spare BT Hub 5a and I configured this as an ap, tested it on my own network (I have an Asus RT-N66U and an unlocked Huawei HG612) and it works perfectly, but when the hub 5 is connected to the Q hub it doesn't seem to see the Q hub at all. The Ethernet connection and activity LEDs on the Q hub don't even come on.
      The Q hub itself seems ok as when connected on to a laptop with Ethernet it gets an IP address and speed tests come in at consistent 70+Mpbs down 19Mbps up.
      Is there a compatibility issue between the BT hub and the Q hub?

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Q hub and access point help

Couple of things come to mind, when going between switches, which the LAN ports on the routers are, sometime you need a cross-over LAN cable. Most ports don't need it these days as they are auto-sensing, however that's worth a shot.

Second, you say you have tried a direct connection to the Q and that's OK, how about a direct connection to the BT hub, is that OK too?

If so, then it would suggest that my first suggestion might work for you.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------