Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Q hub poor wireless signal strength

This is a discussion on Sky Q hub poor wireless signal strength within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've recently switched to (what sky call) fibre and have the Q hub. Model ER110 The signal strength is appalling. ...

Valiceemo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Q hub poor wireless signal strength

I've recently switched to (what sky call) fibre and have the Q hub. Model ER110

The signal strength is appalling.

As in I move to the kitchen and I cannot use the internet on my device. If I'm .ore than 10ft away from the router, the signal become unstable and unreliable.

It's ludicrous.

Obviously according to sky it's all my fault.

The router is in a relatively open space and not near any devices that may emit RF signals. Or cause any interference of any kind.

Any tips on improving the quality of signal?

Also, is it possible to use a second router as my dhcp / DNS server, as sky, for some barmy reason, do not allow the manual setting of DNS servers.

I have my own belkin router which is full customisable and has much better signal strength and quality.
      So ideally I'd like to use that as the AP?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Sky Q hub poor wireless signal strength

You could use the Belkin as a wifi access point. Simply turn off the Wifi On the Sky router, turn off the DHCP server on the Belkin and connect one of the LAN ports on the Sky router to a LAN port on the Belkin. If you want to replace the Sky router with Belkin then it must support dhcp option61, I have no idea if the Belkin does support that feature as it's not a make we see here too often.

Note the Sky Q Hub is a mesh network device and if you are using Sky Q boxes connected using wifi then you cannot turn off the wifi on the Sky Q box.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------