Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By det

Broadband Connection Diagnosis - Not quite connected

This is a discussion on Broadband Connection Diagnosis - Not quite connected within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For the past few weeks I am facing an issue with my Sky fibre broadband. Upon booting up my laptop, ...

jamilayz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Station
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

For the past few weeks I am facing an issue with my Sky fibre broadband.

Upon booting up my laptop, it automatically connects to the Wi-Fi, I keep getting the following message whenever I open Internet Explorer or Google Chrome and internet doesn't work on it at all.

The only way I can get it to work it by disabling the Wi-Fi adaptor a few times or rebooting the laptop.

I have also tried plugging the ethernet cable directly into the Sky Q Hub as well but it's the same.

All the drivers are up to date as I have checked but this happens nearly all the time.

I have even tried uninstalling the drivers as well but no luck as well as has rebooted the Sky Q Hub as well.

All the lights are green.

I have checked other devices at the time when I am experiencing this issue and they seems to be working fine.

Ethernet Adaptor:-
      Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

WiFi Adaptor:-
      Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC-3168

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for these a few times but no luck.

Done a clean Windows 10 install as well.

Contacted Sky as they sent a replacement Sky Q Hub but this message won't go away.

Also got in touch with Microsoft and HP but it's not working as it could be a hardware issue ?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,168 Times in 2,043 Posts

Re: Broadband Connection Diagnosis - Not quite connected

It sounds more something to do with your laptop.

As a suggestion try to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels by giving them different names (i.e. 2.4GHz = SkyLo & 5GHz = SkyHi). This might help as your laptop would otherwise try to keep working out which has the better signal.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

jamilayz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Livingston Station
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It sounds more something to do with your laptop.

As a suggestion try to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels by giving them different names (i.e. 2.4GHz = SkyLo & 5GHz = SkyHi). This might help as your laptop would otherwise try to keep working out which has the better signal.

Does Sky Q Hub supports IPv4 & IPv6 on Sky Fibre FTTC ?

The reason I am asking is because as soon I as I unticked IPv6 from my wireless/ethernet adapter properties "Broadband Connection Diagnosis" page disappeared and came back when I ticked it again.

Secondly as per BT Wholesale ADSL checker website, FTTP is available in my are but there is no way to order it or even get an estimate for the associated costs ?

Are there any providers who are offering this service ?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,168 Times in 2,043 Posts

Yes the Q Hub supports IPv6. You're better of with it enabled IMHO.

IPv4 support is a given for all connections at the present time.

All the Sky Hub routers from Sky and the latest Sagem routers support IPv6. All of Sky's broadband and fibre connections should now support IPv6. Some don't but this tends to be because the router (an older model) doesn't support IPv6 or it's not set up correctly. Of course non-Sky routers need to be configured correctly and not all support Skys implementation of IPv6.

Call Sky to see if you can get Sky Fibre. If your cabinet has just been enabled it could take a few days or a couple of weeks.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamilayz View Post
      Secondly as per BT Wholesale ADSL checker website, FTTP is available in my are but there is no way to order it or even get an estimate for the associated costs ?

Are there any providers who are offering this service ?
      You raise an interesting point. I believe that there are a limited number of exchanges where FTTP trials are taking place but for other exchanges I have been unable to find any ISP offering speeds in excess of 80Mb/s download speed even though BT's checker shows that 330Mb/s is obtainable.

Broadband Connection Diagnosis - Not quite connected-bt_bb_availability_checker.jpg

I thought that there must be some confusion between FTTC and FTTP but to quote from A&A Broadband's online order form:

"Superfast" FTTP (Fibre to the premises) at 80Mb/s

FTTP uses a glass fibre to your premises. This means a speed of 80Mb/s down and 20Mb/s up can be provided regardless of distance from exchange or cabinet.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Both those driver sets are just standard driver sets and not seen any problems with a lot of kit that use them in their many configurations.
      Windows 10 will provide default drivers for both of those. For the wireless one Intel have designed it that way. You should not need to go hunting for a specific driver.
      What model of HP do you have?

det
      det is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You raise an interesting point. I believe that there are a limited number of exchanges where FTTP trials are taking place but for other exchanges I have been unable to find any ISP offering speeds in excess of 80Mb/s download speed even though BT's checker shows that 330Mb/s is obtainable.
      BT Retail offer 200 and 300Mbps plans on Openreach FTTP, named Unlimited Infinity 3 and 4 respectively.
      Recently Openreach have started offering 1000 down / 200 up FTTP products too, so we'll hopefully start seeing those being picked up by retailers. Although they've overpriced it (IMO), so maybe not in the residential space for awhile.
      seawright likes this.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
      BT Retail offer 200 and 300Mbps plans on Openreach FTTP, named Unlimited Infinity 3 and 4 respectively.
      Recently Openreach have started offering 1000 down / 200 up FTTP products too, so we'll hopefully start seeing those being picked up by retailers. Although they've overpriced it (IMO), so maybe not in the residential space for awhile.
      I wouldn't count on it. Just about all ISP's that offer residential WBC FTTP only seem to offer 40/10 and 80/20.