Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Can I use the TP-LINK AC1200 Dual Band Archer D5 Modem Router instead of my Sky Black router?

This is a discussion on Can I use the TP-LINK AC1200 Dual Band Archer D5 Modem Router instead of my Sky Black router? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello New to the forums. Can someone please help with my question Thanks...

NathOnline26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can I use the TP-LINK AC1200 Dual Band Archer D5 Modem Router instead of my Sky Black router?

Hello
      New to the forums.
      Can someone please help with my question
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Can I use the TP-LINK AC1200 Dual Band Archer D5 Modem Router instead of my Sky Black route

Sort of.

The DSL Modem is an ADSL2+ Modem, so you can't connect it directly to the telephone socket for a Fibre connection.

It does have a port which can be used for Ethernet WAN. This could be connected to a BT Modem, provided that the QUI supports Sky's log in method for the servers. If not you can disable the WiFi on your SR101 and set up everything to be directed directly to the TP-Link router.

See the thread linked below for instructions on the second option.

Using the DLink DIR613.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Can I use the TP-LINK AC1200 Dual Band Archer D5 Modem Router instead of my Sky Black route

Thanks for the reply Scubbie.
      I'm not too bothered what I use. I'm just not sure on the router to get. I'm either looking for the option to have 1 router/modem. If not I have a spare openreach modem so not bothered. Wanting to get a router from Argos to put on Argos card. Any chance you could advise. Thanks alot.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Exchange:
      Thanks

Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup

@Scubbie I've been looking at using this method now. Seems the most easiest for what I need and can get the router from Argos. Is this a good setup would you know? As I'm guessing the router is already a couple years old. Thanks

Thanks

Certainly the AC68U has been a popular router on these forums. Some members have been able to configure it for a Sky Fibre connection. You'll need a BTO Modem though.

Please search for it for a range of discussion threads as there are some more recent routers from Asus that may be more interesting. I can't recall at this time if the router works as well now on Fibre as it once did.

Check out IPv6 support. All of Sky's broadband and Fibre connections should now be capable of supporting IPv6 but not all are. It could be that the subscribers have old routers that haven't been updated to support IPv6 or they have their own non-Sky routers that cannot support or aren't configured to support Sky's implementation of IPv6.

Many newer routers have a built-in VDSL Modem. This has it's advantages. For a start you can see you actual connection stats. You'll also be able to drop the BTO Modem.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Certainly the AC68U has been a popular router on these forums. Some members have been able to configure it for a Sky Fibre connection. You'll need a BTO Modem though.

Please search for it for a range of discussion threads as there are some more recent routers from Asus that may be more interesting. I can't recall at this time if the router works as well now on Fibre as it once did.

Check out IPv6 support. All of Sky's broadband and Fibre connections should now be capable of supporting IPv6 but not all are. It could be that the subscribers have old routers that haven't been updated to support IPv6 or they have their own non-Sky routers that cannot support or aren't configured to support Sky's implementation of IPv6.

Many newer routers have a built-in VDSL Modem. This has it's advantages. For a start you can see you actual connection stats. You'll also be able to drop the BTO Modem.
      Thanks alot for the reply I've now narrowed it down to the TP link Archer C9 AR900 V1 or V2 what do you reckon? It seems it's more or less plug and play thanks.

Exchange:
      Thanks

This is the 1 I'm looking at. Tp link Archer VR900 V2 just bought it. Will wait to hear back before opening. Thanks.

Thanks

It looks fine.

I haven't any personal experience with the router.

Do check these forums for help with configuring it.
      NathOnline26 likes this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It looks fine.

I haven't any personal experience with the router.

Do check these forums for help with configuring it.
      Hello I have just fitted a TP Link Archer AR900 V2 Black I've got Internet etc. Just wondering how to set up IPv6 and also haven't changed mac address where do I change that? Is it needed. I phoned sky yesterday to ask if I can use I different router as I had been complaining a while about dropping connection not connecting atall. And REALLY poor Wi-Fi. They said it was fine. I can't change provider as all fibre connections are taken up this was my only alternative. So going to have To try it out thanks. I posted this to a blog Scubbie if you have any advice that would be great. Thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hmm I'm not even 100% sure there's much Wi-Fi signal difference ATM not sure about settings to change to help if any. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast