Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky standard fibre speeds and ping.

This is a discussion on Sky standard fibre speeds and ping. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have the "up to" 40 Mbs Sky fibre product. According to the BT Wholesale speed tester my download speed ...

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Sky standard fibre speeds and ping.

I have the "up to" 40 Mbs Sky fibre product. According to the BT Wholesale speed tester my download speed is 31 Mbs and my upload speed is 9.1 Mbs. I am happy with these speeds considering where I am. But BT Wholesale says my ping is 80 ms. The Ookla Betaspeedtest agrees, more or less with BT on my speeds but disagrees with the ping which Ookla says is 18 ms. Is this something that should concern me? I am not a gamer and my access speeds on the internet seem to be okay when I am watching catchup or Youtube etc and to be honest I don't really care as long as I can watch video without any buffering. But I am curious and will concede that, perhaps, I should stay away from the speed sites.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky standard fibre speeds and ping.

If you are not a gamer ping matters very little, provided it is not too high which can cause slow loading. Anything under 100ms is perfectly acceptable.

Try pinging from a command prompt. I have never had much faith in online checkers, especially those associated with a speed test. Type ping bbc.co.uk (or other domain) in a command prompt and see what the result is.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Thanks for that Isitme. I'll leave it at that I think. As I say everything works okay on the internet and I am using wireless to connect and I am rural so really I am quite happy. I was just curious as to why the difference between the two sites.

towny is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01484
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD
      Thanks

Not necessarily the correct thread but I have just switched to fibre and done a speed test showing download of about 29mbps and upload of 9.5, this gives upload a ratio of approx 30% of download. This compares with only14% on the old copper cables where I only had a speed of 0.7mbps.
      Should I notice any difference.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
      Thanks for that Isitme. I'll leave it at that I think. As I say everything works okay on the internet and I am using wireless to connect and I am rural so really I am quite happy. I was just curious as to why the difference between the two sites.
      Using the speed checker you will get different ping times as it will be to different server locations.
      To get a better idea on this you could do a "tracert" to the respective servers and you will see where the delays are occurring. On wifi this, wifi, will probably (not always) be the biggest delay.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by towny View Post
      Not necessarily the correct thread but I have just switched to fibre and done a speed test showing download of about 29mbps and upload of 9.5, this gives upload a ratio of approx 30% of download. This compares with only14% on the old copper cables where I only had a speed of 0.7mbps.
      Should I notice any difference.
      You should notice a big difference when uploading. The maximum sync speed possible with ADSL annex A is 1.3Mb, on fibre this can be as high a 20MB depending on your package. The difference in download speed depends on what you had before, but you will not notice much difference in normal surfing unless you previously had a very low sync speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.