Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Slow speeds <2.5mb

This is a discussion on Slow speeds <2.5mb within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I live around 1.8km from the exchange and have had work undertaken on my line by openreach recently after ...

the_biochemist is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chinor
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Slow speeds <2.5mb

Hi

I live around 1.8km from the exchange and have had work undertaken on my line by openreach recently after it 'had issues' in as much as the BB became very unstable and the phone stopped working. That is now resolved as openreach removed my line and replaced it from the pole to the property. My speed used to be around 7mb but now is less than 2.5mb but is stable.

Sky say there is an external line fault still which is causing the problem but the router stats (below) seem like it is more of a problem with DLM not having updated the attenuation and the like - what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

System Log - DSL Log

This page shows the detailed DSL status.
      DSL Information
      DSL Firmware Version 1.0.3.9
      DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.5.2.4_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2
      DSL Link Status up
      DSL Uptime 0 days 2 hours 29 minute(s) 45 seconds
      DSL modulation ITU G.993.2(VDSL2), G.998.4(G.INP)
      ANNEX Mode ANNEX A
      DSL Exchange (DSLAM) Broadcom
      Current Profile 17a
      Line Stats
      Downstream Upstream
      TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation) On On
      SNR 33.0 dB 32.5 dB
      Line Attenuation 11.9 dB 22.6 dB
      Path Mode FastPath FastPath
      Interleave Depth 1 1
      Data Rate 2493 kbps 1999 kbps
      MAX Rate 26168 kbps 35267 kbps
      POWER 7.2 dbm -4.6 dbm
      INP 44.0 symbols 51.0 symbols
      CRC 0 0
      VDSL Band Status
      U0 D1 U1 D2 U2 D3 U3 D4 U4
      Line Attenuation (dB) 3.9 11.9 22.6 29.4 33.0 44.9 - - -
      Signal Attenuation (dB) 3.9 20.3 22.7 0.1 - 0.1 - - -
      SNR Margin (dB) 32.2 32.9 32.6 0.0 - 0.0 - - -

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Slow speeds <2.5mb

Are you sure it's a Fibre connection?

Seriously if they can see a fault on the external connection then they should have booked a BTO Engineer to come out to repair the line. There would be nothing that you or I could do at this time.

Some things to check at your end would include:

• Ensure that the DSL cable from your router to the telephone socket hasn't been damaged or pulled just enough so that any damage isn't not visible.
      • If you have a suitable microfilter (VDSL rated, not ADSL2+), swap it in to check things over
      • Don't reboot your router if you can help it as this WILL slow things down

Also, as you have your own router, triple check that you have the most recent firmware and that it supports BTO's latest changes.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Yep, it is meant to be a sky fibre unlimited connection and is a VDSL connection not ADSL so I think it is a correct fttc setup from that perspective.

I called the lovely lady on 17070 as requested by sky and she thinks there is no noise,echo or anything else.

The connection resets at 5am every day so I assume DLM is thinking about something but not changing the profile or attenuation as is is slowly getting worse... Now syncing at 1999 downstream so below the 2.5mb it was a few days ago.

Thinking of cancelling and buying some carrier pigeons, pencils and paper to increase speed.

Router is brand new, firmware update and the DSL settings suggested on skyuser for the model. It also seems to have no interleaving and g.imp working with no crcs at all that I have noticed prior to the DSLAM disconnect every morning. Sky kindly sent me a new filter and have that in the test socket (was previously using the openreach v4 faceplate for the nte5 socket which has made no difference.

Do you think it might just work itself out over another week or so or should I get grumpy with sky??

Thanks

Thanks

It really sounds like you need a BTO Engineer out to repair the cooper line.

Even if you switched to another provider the line would still need to be repaired.

If one hasn't already been arranged, get back on the phone and in a friendly manner chat with the person at the other end. The fact that it failed with a VDSL filtered faceplate and whatever they've sent you now should be ringing loud bells at their end.

BTO are responsible for maintaining the line from the exchange to your test socket. If you had one of their filtered faceplates installed by them, this too is included.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Looking back at your line stats, there is definitely something seriously wrong. With a downstream attenuation of 11.9db and noise margin of 33db, you should be looking at something near the maximum speed for vDSL. Have you tried the online address checker for fibre? You will need to use the address option as your phone number will not be recognised.

Can you plug your Sky router back in and take the stats? There is a possibility that your ASUS is not responding too well. There have been reports of this router not being very good on vDSL lines.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I plugged the sky router in prior to calling sky and very similar and and attenuation... Now seem to have been limited down to 1999kbps down and 798 up now!!!

Spoke to a guy at sky who said I must have missed a digit on the download speed as is must at least be 20mb I was seeing... It took a fraction of a second when he realised I was correct to do a line test and log a bto fault!!

Let's see if they get DLM reset and give me a better banding now!!
      Scubbie likes this.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Try the online checker, I am fairly sure you will get much more than 20Mb. Put your address in this form and it will give you Vdsl and ADSL

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/A...AddressOutput#

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Now I'm peed off!!

The checker reports..

Numbers down max/down min/up max/up min

VDSL Range A (Clean) 76/57.2/20/18.2
      VDSL Range B (Impacted) 62.4/35/20/10

So I should be able to get 40/10 or on a clean line 80/20

I moved in 1 year ago and have never had more than 7.5/4 whenever I have spoken to them they say you live in a small village it's probably the best you could get!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_biochemist View Post
      I moved in 1 year ago and have never had more than 7.5/4 whenever I have spoken to them they say you live in a small village it's probably the best you could get!!!
      What was the estimated speed when you ordered SFU?

I personally would be thinking now about making a suitable case for a complaint based upon your previous call.

Fibre products, like ADSL, do lose their speed with longer lines. However with ADSL products the loss of speed is based on the distance from the exchange. With Fibre it is based on how far you are from the cabinet. If you have a Fibre cabinet in your village, then that is what they should be using, not the exchange.

Thanks

When I moved in I just transferred my package as was from a previous property - they said it was still a fibre area so the plan I was on was OK. Didn't think to press them for estimated speed - just assumed a slow speed when I got it was the price to pay to live in a little Oxfordshire hamlet.

however - It looks like BTO have worked their magic on my throttling situation... Didn't even know this was a feasible vdsl profile!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast