Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By orbiter

Help Needed with Netgear D7800 Setup

This is a discussion on Help Needed with Netgear D7800 Setup within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone, first time caller here. I have just upgraded my Sky broadband to Fibre unlimited. I decided to make ...

Brightspark101 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Surrey
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Help Needed with Netgear D7800 Setup

Hello everyone, first time caller here.

I have just upgraded my Sky broadband to Fibre unlimited. I decided to make full use of my new “superfast” connection, so I decided to purchase a proper router. Then I discovered that Sky don’t want you to do that. So long story short, after many hours research I decided upon the Netgear D7800 Nighthawk (probably the most ridiculous name for a router ever).

Now this is where my problems start. I received my Sky SR102 last weekend, plugged everything in, and set it up on my old broadband connection. Everything was working fine. Yesterday Sky activated my fibre connection. So I unplugged the SR102 and plugged in the D7800, I read a few posts online that stated setup with this router was a breeze as Netgear have all the Sky settings preinstalled.

So, I connect the D7800 into my PC via Ethernet. I enter the router URL into Chrome. I’m presented with the first Netgear Genie setup page. I select UK from the country dropdown list and Sky from the ISP dropdown list, then click next.

The next page asks for my username and password. Now I have read a few posts on here that you no longer need to run Wireshark to acquire this info. You can enter whatever info you want into this field, as long as it is the same format.

I entered: kippers4tea@skydsl.com|pingpong1234

A kind forum user posted this info for someone, I apologise as I don’t remember your handle.

Next I am given the option to enter a MAC clone. I think this is where I may be falling down. On the back of my SR102 is a MAC address, this is what I entered into the setup genie.

After entering these details I clicked next, then I get a spinning wheel while the genie “performs full scan of PVC/protocol”. Sometimes this completes, other times it just hangs on this step. Causing me to refresh the page and start from the beginning. If this step does complete the genie tells me it is “applying internet settings” and that it could take a few minutes. Eventually this brings up a no connection message.

I should also mention the first thing I did upon connecting the D7800 to my PC was to download the latest firmware.

I remember seeing a post by forum user “Poppy10” they said setting up this router was a doddle, so I must be doing something wrong. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Apologise for the long post, I just wanted to include as much information as possible.

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Help Needed with Netgear D7800 Setup

Don't think you need to worry about the mac clone either anymore, however what you DO need to do is unplug your sky router and leave everything disconnected for ten minutes before connecting your Netgear. It should work fine.

I think I posted that particular login and it did work as I tried it, but perhaps you should create your own, jamfortea perhaps, maybe Sky already have someone using it. Don't know if that is true but it may be.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Exchange:
      Thanks

Marjohn thank you very much for your reply. I will try again this evening, with a different login, no MAC address and disconnecting everything for 10 minutes.

I'll report back later. Thanks again.

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion 8800AXL R2
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Glad you created this thread brightspark as I got my new D7800 today too and am having the same difficulty getting it connected. So I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread here with you.
      I have tried the same as you but i'm posting some pics so others who will likely be able to help can see what were seeing on the router pages.

Ok so i've tried the same as brightspark above..
      I have ripped the user and password from the sky router and tried putting it into the D7800 in all different ways inc where it
      says option 61.... I have also got and added the option 60 details too.

I have also added the MAC number from the back of the sky router to the D7800 where it says "use this MAC address" so that it can spoof it.
      I notice though that the last digit of the MAC number on the back of the sky router is different from the Broadband Port
      MAC Address's last digit in the sky router settings.. The MAC on the rear of the sky router ends in 38 but the MAC number in the sky routers Broadband Port ends in 3a.. Which one should I use?

Anyway.. I hope you can help us please guys.. Here are some images from my new D7800 internet settings page so you can see if there's anything amiss ?

Thank you

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Needed with Netgear D7800 Setup-1.jpg   Help Needed with Netgear D7800 Setup-2.jpg   Help Needed with Netgear D7800 Setup-3.jpg  

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Orbiter, no problem at all the more the merrier. I'm just about to start tinkering again. I'll let you know how I get on shortly. Fingers crossed and wish me luck. BTW I'm pretty sure that the correct MAC address is the one under the broadband port option in the Sky router settings.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right, well after a few hours of trying again I'm afraid to say no success. I unplugged the sky router for 15 minutes, then plugged in the Netgear D7800. Fired up the URL selected UK and Sky from the dropdown boxes, and asked the router to automatically set up the router. I tried a new username and password combo, no luck. I tried entering the MAC address as well as the username and password. No luck.

I just don't see what I'm doing wrong. It must be me as others have successfully got this router and sky fibre running.

Interestingly in the few days I had the SR102 and my old sky broadband connection the wifi was flawless. No dropout or disconnects. Ever since the fibre has been active the wifi signal is all over the place. The speed is fine but it drops connection with the various phones and tablets in my house like no ones business.

Anyway I'm calling it a night. I really don't know what else to try.

Thanks

Same here mate... Was trying again to get the d7800 connected for about 4 hours last night without success.

Im really not sure that the firmware in these routers (mine is latest FW too) is stable as it takes the settings changes a while to take on this router, and sometimes ive had to set them twice for them to update.

Ive tried the auto setup a few times but it always fails so ive been using manual settings mainly.

Im just wondering if there are some LAN settings that we need to change? As ive tried all the combinations i can think of with regards the settings on the internet page Ive shown in the images earlier.

Initially I got my option 60 & 61 details using Wireshark but last night i used the online tool and selected the Sagem option which is said to work.. Sky BB Pasword Calculator.. It did give me the correct username but it shows the password as a 10 digit number IIRC insted of the 7 digit one I got from Wireshark Still made no difference to getting a connection though.

I hope others will pop in & help us soon as I don't think this is a router/modem issue.. I think I'm just not understanding the configuration settings as im no network guy.

Thanks

@Brightspark... And any other folk who may run into issues with the Netgear D7800 series.

Mine is up and running now

I think it's what I initially suspected ... Either the router's firmware is still a bit flaky, or the settings page doesn't like changing it's settings too much, and was not
      updating somehow. At one stage I noticed that the Option 60 & 61 boxes had disappeared no matter what I clicked on in the menu... Only after a full reset did they return.

Anyway what I did was.. Whilst the router was switched on and connected to the DSL/phone line... I pushed and held the little reset button on the back of
      the router for about 10 seconds or so (you'll need a pen etc for the small button)

During setup I didn't use the Auto setup!

Once the router resets it will start scanning again just like first startup. Although even after doing this it still remembers some previously entered numbers in the dropdown menus

After that put in your details on the internet page.

Select Country = UK
      Select Internet Service Provider = I chose Other but changed it to Sky later. I was still sure at this point that the router wasn't going to connect
      and thought that choosing Other may have given me some extra options.

Transfer Mode = VDSL(PTM)
      DSL Mode = VDSL2

Internet = Enable This Interface

Vendor Class Identifier String (option 60) which looks something like this 2.8c.1095.R|003|SR102|A52016ER028668
      Client Identifier String (option 61) which looks something like this, the first part before the @ is your SR102 MAC code 1234567891011@skydsl|89a12345

Does your internet require login = NO

Router MAC address = I chose Use this MAC address entered my SR102 MAC number, however after the setup completed the MAC was showing as Use Default address and the the Netgears MAC address was there... Even though when I went to the Advanced Menu, it showed my SR102 MAC. This is what I mean about the router not updating settings and remembering previously entered ones.

I left the router for about 1 minute and the DSL/Internet light (second from the left) went from red to white... And that was it

The issues I had with the SR102 (poor wireless signal and only half the routers indicated fibre connection speeds) are now gone. I've now got a full wireless
      signal everywhere and can download wirelessly at 35Mbps instead of about 16Mbps.. Woohooo

Hope this helps & you get on ok with yours
      Last edited by orbiter; 06-02-17 at 12:05 AM.
      poppy10 likes this.