Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Apple Airport Extreme no longer connects after working reliably for years

This is a discussion on Apple Airport Extreme no longer connects after working reliably for years within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been using an Apple Airport Extreme (running 7.7.8) + Openreach Modem for many years and all of a sudden ...

teejvan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chellaston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Apple Airport Extreme no longer connects after working reliably for years

I've been using an Apple Airport Extreme (running 7.7.8) + Openreach Modem for many years and all of a sudden I can't get an internet connection. After a reboot of both devices: nothing. To test, I reverted back to my original SR101 modem (once I found it in the garage) and my connection resumed and worked. From this test I surmise the fault lies with the Airport Extreme but I can't fathom what it may be.

Any suggestions?

Best Regards,
      Teejvan

2. Advertisement
      nivek1612 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armitage
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTC 80/20
      Router: OPNsense and Billion 8800NL v1
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb+2xMini
      Thanks

Re: Apple Airport Extreme no longer connects after working reliably for years

corrupt config file no longer sending option 61

Have you checked its still set ?
      Export the config and then open in in an editor and look to find the section like this

<key>waDC</key>
      <string>#########@skydsl|###########</string>

That said you might want to upgrade to a more flexible router now anyway. With IPv6 now everywhere the Extreme can't support Sk's implementation of it
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is what happens while your making plans

Thanks

I checked the config file and it was still set.

What you say about IPv6 intrigues me; do you think it's possible my line has been "upgraded" and hence why my Extreme will no longer work? Is there a simple way to verify? If this is the case, then it's time to upgrade the router.

Teejvan

nivek1612 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armitage
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTC 80/20
      Router: OPNsense and Billion 8800NL v1
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb+2xMini
      Thanks

The upgrade should not stop it working in IPv4 mode as far as i know as there is no change in the authentication process for IPv4. However there could be some new checks at Skys end for IPv6 compatibility, but i doubt that. Others on here may know.

To check if your IPv6 capable plug in your sky router back in. If its go the latest firmware you should see the ipv6 address populate in the GUI (sorry it been so long since I used Skys routers I don't remember the exact location but its should be easy to find)
      The only issue is if you have not had the router online for some time it may be on an old firmware which will need upgrading first to be compatible with IPv6. That can take a while until skys system recognises its out of date. There are a few ways to force that but none of them are guaranteed so it may be a case of wait a while. Although I guess your already back on the SR101 if the Extreme is broken.

Firmware versions are here

Sky Router Firmware

I'm fairly sure you will be IPv6 enabled but cant guarantee it as there are still some that are not

Lots of recommendation on this site for which routers to use in place of the crappy sky box, as it sound like you may be upgrading soon anyway.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is what happens while your making plans

Thanks

My Sky router received a firmware update last night and now shows me information about IPv6 connections. However, it has now stopped working. It shows a connection to the internet, but all my devices won't reach the internet. I've tried to ping 8.8.8.8 etc.

I contacted Sky support, ran through some troubleshooting, connected my Openreach modem directly to the master socket all to no avail. They are sending me a 2.0 router (one with the modem built in). Hopefully this will work and I can simply go out and buy a new router but I'll be stumped as to why the issue developed in the first place and then why my working Sky SR101 stopped working after a firmware update.

Teejvan