Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Questions about using 3rd Party equipment..

This is a discussion on Questions about using 3rd Party equipment.. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello Firstly thanks for reading, I have to say I have been impressed with Sky Fibre since switching from BEThere, ...

guitaristanime is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Teignmouth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SR102 (I think)
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Questions about using 3rd Party equipment..

Hello

Firstly thanks for reading, I have to say I have been impressed with Sky Fibre since switching from BEThere, certainly has been a lot better than anticipated. One of the things that's really got me down all this time is the fact contractually we are not allowed to use 3rd party line equipment...

I've always been under this impression it was a pretty serious thing and periodically I've checked up online to see if that's changed, until today happening across this forum I see there are hundreds of people using non-SKY routers and it seems fine?

I'm a datacentre engineer my profession and it's really been painful being bogged down at home by the poor router that's supplied with SKY Fibre, both on the WAN and LAN side of things, I know I can get better performance.

So my question is this, has anything happened to anyone from actually using non-SKY equipment? A few other forums I've read made it seem like doing so could land you a hefty bill from SKY if (or more like when) they find out. I cannot wait to jump at this chance if it infact no one has been penalised at all for it.

Thank you and I look forward to your replies (as I might finally get to make use of a decent LAN at home after all)

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Never heard of anybody being penalised or ejected for using own 3rd party router during my > 4 years on Sky Fibre!

Probably wise to keep the Sky router, so that you can switch back to it in the unlikely event that you should ever need support from Sky.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

guitaristanime (17-06-16)

guitaristanime is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Teignmouth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SR102 (I think)
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Questions about using 3rd Party equipment..

Ta! That's great news.