Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fibre: Replacement for SR102 - do i need an Openreach modem or not?

This is a discussion on Fibre: Replacement for SR102 - do i need an Openreach modem or not? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, i am confused about this part as there are many contradicting infos out there regarding this topic. i ...

j4ck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: sky black thingie
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Fibre: Replacement for SR102 - do i need an Openreach modem or not?

Hi Guys,

i am confused about this part as there are many contradicting infos out there regarding this topic.
      i want to replace the SR102 all-in-one modem with an asus (asus rt-ac66u) - do i need a BT openreach modem or not?

If i do need one - how do i know which one (model, brand etc) to get?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Fibre: Replacement for SR102 - do i need an Openreach modem or not?

My understanding is that the Asus RT-AC66U does not contain a modem. So, if that's the router that you want to buy and use, then you would need a BT Openreach modem to go with it. That would give you a "two box solution", which I and some others find preferable.

If you just want a "one box solution", i.e. a combined router and modem (like the SR102), you would need to choose another suitable device. Look for something that includes a modem for use on VDSL2 services.

There are plenty of such combined router/modems out there, but only some of them have firmware that allows input of the Sky connection's userid and password. Have another browse through the relevant threads to see what is popular with other users (I don't have a list, but maybe somebody else will post one).
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

edit//

i think i found my mistake..

ac66u - no modem (i thought it had one included!)
      ac68u - has modem
      n68u - has modem..

so its either ac68u standalone (pricey and a bit overkill for my situation i think), n66u standalone (not ac standard) or ac66u + openreach...

This then brings me to my next questions:

1) in case i get the AC66U (no modem) which openreach model should i get? will any openreach modem do?
      2) in case i get a router with an integrated VDSL modem, then that would be simpler.. what happens however if i move to another place which, lets say, has direct fibre - then i would no longer need the internal modem part.. could i then still use this router/modem combo? (i.e. switch off the VSDL modem inside)?
      Last edited by j4ck; 21-03-16 at 05:53 PM.

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You could consider vr900, d7000 if you want all in one's or one of the asus models that have modem/router combined.

If you want bt or modem then hg612 3b is a good start but as I have said before I would check what cabinet I am on. The hg612 can be flashed so you can monitor it.
      Cabinet check here ::. Kitz - Cabinet Lookup .::

If you are on an eci then hg612 should work but I had one on my eci line/cabinet and it did not work out.

I use 8800nl in bridge mode alongside my rt-ac87u. Some will say the 8800nl is overkill as a modem but it works with my line, provides a backup modem/router should the asus go down. The 8800nl also works with monitoring software if you are into that kind of thing as I am.

The ECI bt modem whilst works it is not just a case of flashing it so you can access the stats. It needs modding hardware wise. I have one here that I originally tried but stopped using it as I can't use monitoring software to view/upload stats.

Options

Hg612 3b - bt or modem( can flash and monitor)
      Bt eci modem (will work with either cabinet but no access to monitor in stock format, would avoid unless on eci cabinet and really didnt want to monitor)
      Can use either with any router that must support sky's option 60/61.
      My asus (rt-ac87u)is flashed with merlin and works
      8800nl either as a modem or you can use it as an all in one if you want.

Other all in ones
      Vr900
      D7000

Probably others but both the above had very good wireless as I tried both of them before moving to the 8800nl+ rt-ac87u
      Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions.
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Exchange:
      Thanks

HI Chopper,

thanks for the elaborative answer! i do have 2 more questions:

1) in case i get a router with modem inside to work with sky fibre, can i still use it if i move to a different provider (and the new provider then does not use this weird authentication method?)
      2) not sure if this question is stupid..:my fibre is about to get set up this week so i dont have infos about the eventual speeds i will have - they mentioned it should be around 34 mbit i believe. in case they manage to push 34 mbit through, where exactly is the bottleneck for the SR102 sky hub.. is the bottleneck only wifi? (i.e. my wifi speeds would not be as fast as they could be?) or would the bottleneck also include LAN? or simply parallel coverage?

my setup will be small, 3 mobile devices + 1 pc on wifi + 1 pc on LAN..

thanks

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck View Post
      HI Chopper,

thanks for the elaborative answer! i do have 2 more questions:

1) in case i get a router with modem inside to work with sky fibre, can i still use it if i move to a different provider (and the new provider then does not use this weird authentication method?)

I dont see why not. most combined units should work with the major players. Sky is probably the only one who has a weird requirement..

2) not sure if this question is stupid..:my fibre is about to get set up this week so i dont have infos about the eventual speeds i will have - they mentioned it should be around 34 mbit i believe. in case they manage to push 34 mbit through, where exactly is the bottleneck for the SR102 sky hub.. is the bottleneck only wifi? (i.e. my wifi speeds would not be as fast as they could be?) or would the bottleneck also include LAN? or simply parallel coverage?

Just from my experience the wifi is very poor on the sr102. I think you said you had an rt-ac87u. Why not setup the 87u as an access point connected to the sr102 (bottom port) to start with. Just disable the wifi on the sr102. This might be fine for your needs.
      If its not then consider getting a modem and run the 2 device setup using the 87u in true wan mode. It bothered me that the sr102 does not have gigabit either but thats just my preference..

You are prolly on a 40/10 profile. Unlimited pro is 80/20

my setup will be small, 3 mobile devices + 1 pc on wifi + 1 pc on LAN..

thanks
      See above for my comments
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB