Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

SR102 poor wireless signal with Sky Fibre. Instructuction req. to connect Apple Time Capsule

This is a discussion on SR102 poor wireless signal with Sky Fibre. Instructuction req. to connect Apple Time Capsule within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, could someone please help and post the line by line instructions on what is required to improve wireless signal ...

m360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

SR102 poor wireless signal with Sky Fibre. Instructuction req. to connect Apple Time Capsule

Hi, could someone please help and post the line by line instructions on what is required to improve wireless signal please - just cannot understand all those listed on google - sorry.

I have Sky fibre unlimited due to be connected in a week, for now I have a Sky router SR102. Wired I get 12-14 MBps with my MAC directly connected to the router or connected to a DLan plug in adapter.

However, wireless from the Sky SR102 I get just 1-2 MBps or just crashes every 5 minutes.

I have an Apple Time Capsule Airport 2 TB, and it has been suggested that the best set up would be to switch the Sky SR102 into modem mode and connect the Time Capsule as an access point to give me wireless for the whole home.

I have the sky password and username for the SR102 but am unable to follow any of the instructions posted across the internet from here on in. Any help would be so appreciated as I am tearing my hair out.

Once I have an interim solution with the time capsule then no issue buying a better router if that will give me best solution - could you advise, no issue with cost, just want good wireless!

Have heard Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Triband router or Asus RT-AC5300

Thanks in advance for help.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: SR102 poor wireless signal with Sky Fibre. Instructuction req. to connect Apple Time Capsul

Any help?

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: SR102 poor wireless signal with Sky Fibre. Instructuction req. to connect Apple Time Capsul

Why not consider getting a bt open reach modem, provided one of your routers supports skys username and password requirements on the wan port. Merlin works on most asus routers which supports skys requirements. Fairly confident the rt-ac5300 has a wan port..

Cabinet look up here
      ::. Kitz - Cabinet Lookup .::
      I would check what cabinet you are on and investigate if your router supports skys requirements. If you have a seperate modem you can do away with the sr102.

Merlin download for asus
      https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkf...Asuswrt-Merlin
      Rt-ac5300 is in the list so might be ok for skys requirements.

Any other questions please ask..

I am using a bt open reach modem alongside an asus rt-ac87u which uses merlin firmware. The wireless performance of the asus is excellent both on 5ghz and 2.4ghz. So far no drop outs or re-syncs...

Cant comment on the apple kit I'm afraid.
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for ECI VDSL line stats

click for Huawei VDSL line stats

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by choppersrock View Post
      Why not consider getting a bt open reach modem, provided one of your routers supports skys username and password requirements on the wan port. Merlin works on most asus routers which supports skys requirements. Fairly confident the rt-ac5300 has a wan port..

Cabinet look up here
      ::. Kitz - Cabinet Lookup .::
      I would check what cabinet you are on and investigate if your router supports skys requirements. If you have a seperate modem you can do away with the sr102.

Merlin download for asus
      https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkf...Asuswrt-Merlin
      Rt-ac5300 is in the list so might be ok for skys requirements.

Any other questions please ask..

I am using a bt open reach modem alongside an asus rt-ac87u which uses merlin firmware. The wireless performance of the asus is excellent both on 5ghz and 2.4ghz. So far no drop outs or re-syncs...

Cant comment on the apple kit I'm afraid.
      Thank you so much for your help
      1. Modem​: are you able to recommend a good one please? By doing away with the Sky router (used as a modem only) is it better?
      2. Cabinet: says 20CN - ADSL, 21CN WBC - ADSL2+
      - am assuming this would support either the asus rt-ac88u or asus rt-ac5300?
      - I have the sky password and user name so fine on that point
      3. Am assuming I then just connect all up and it it will accept Sky fibre - do away with SR102 then require username and password

For now, have interim solution of SR102 with wireless turned off and a home plug connected to it (Devolo 500) - under my stairs where I have sonos and switches connected to SR102 running wired cat5/broadband across home. Then in another room I have the Time Capsule connected to a home plug and am using the wireless from this - getting 14MPS wireless (before fibre unlimited is connected soon) - I therefore don't need to use sky username and password).

So question...

1. If I keep the SR102 as it is (as a modem and wired router), would it solve all my problems if I then just bought an ASUS router (88u or 5300) and plug it either in to the home plug or upstairs where I have an RJ45 socket linking straight back to the SR102 (which would work best home plug or RJ45) and use it as an access point as I am with the Time Capsule (?).

Or

2. Is it better to get rid of the Sky router as you state, add a modem under the stairs BUT which will require the asus router to be located under the stairs which hopefully will give me amazing wireless across the whole house - on basis it was awful simply due to the rubbish Sky Router and not because it was under the stairs in a small cupboard.

Worth noting under my stairs I have Skybox, Sonos, Blu Ray and cat 5 cables running up stairs - all connected to the SR102 or a switch so I get wired broadband across the house. So am assuming to maintain this you must have a router located under the stairs as a modem could not do this.

Sorry it's so complicated just after the best solution for wireless connectivity across the house which with the Sky Router is awful.

Thanks in advance for your help and wish there were people like you who lived in Teddington, Middlesex!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok lots of questions to answer here
      If you go down the modem + router you have 2 bits of kit.
      The modem is the link to the cabinet and the router is for your network. You connect the router from its wan port to lan1 on the modem. The modem needs no config, just plug it in..

Personally I would get a bt modem to suit your cabinet. You need to look up the type of kit in the cabinet which is shown on the right hand side. Most likely it will be eci or huawei kit.
      Bt modems come in eci or hg612 (3b is the current). You can get them on ebay for between 20 and 30.

Personally I would ditch the sr102. Dont sell it. Keep in in case you ever need to plug it in to establish if you have any issues.
      I guess the modem and router will be ok under the stairs. Worst case you might need to use one of the cat5 cables to go between the lan1 on the modem and wan port "upstairs" on the router if the wifi is not good enough...

Have a look at the asus rt-ac87u. Once you load the firmware from merlin you setup the wan port and input the username and password.
      I have a post a few rows dowm with my config settings.
      The main thing is the routers wan port must support user logon details or it just wont work.

See my post re ac87u - mine runs the 2nd latest firmware version which has been great. No router reboots yet

RT - AC87U - excellent in wan mode via BT OR modem

The good thing having a seperate modem is your link wont get punnished if you keep rebooting the router as it will make no difference to the modem...
      If you need any more help just ask

2 types of modem

BT Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B VDSL/FTTC
      Or
      ECI Model is "B-Focus V-2FUb/r Rev.B"
      Last edited by skyeci; 08-02-16 at 03:30 PM.
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by choppersrock View Post
      Ok lots of questions to answer here
      If you go down the modem + router you have 2 bits of kit.
      The modem is the link to the cabinet and the router is for your network. You connect the router from its wan port to lan1 on the modem. The modem needs no config, just plug it in..

Personally I would get a bt modem to suit your cabinet. You need to look up the type of kit in the cabinet which is shown on the right hand side. Most likely it will be eci or huawei kit.
      Bt modems come in eci or hg612 (3b is the current). You can get them on ebay for between 20 and 30.

Personally I would ditch the sr102. Dont sell it. Keep in in case you ever need to plug it in to establish if you have any issues.
      I guess the modem and router will be ok under the stairs. Worst case you might need to use one of the cat5 cables to go between the lan1 on the modem and wan port "upstairs" on the router if the wifi is not good enough...

Have a look at the asus rt-ac87u. Once you load the firmware from merlin you setup the wan port and input the username and password.
      I have a post a few rows dowm with my config settings.
      The main thing is the routers wan port must support user logon details or it just wont work.

See my post re ac87u - mine runs the 2nd latest firmware version which has been great. No router reboots yet

RT - AC87U - excellent in wan mode via BT OR modem

The good thing having a seperate modem is your link wont get punnished if you keep rebooting the router as it will make no difference to the modem...
      If you need any more help just ask

2 types of modem

BT Openreach Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B VDSL/FTTC
      Or
      ECI Model is "B-Focus V-2FUb/r Rev.B"
      Thank you - yes it is Huawei. You have been a great help. If worst case I had to have asus router upstairs and connect to modem downstairs via RJ45 socket (upstairs) and the cat5 run, then how do I get hard wire internet back downstairs to the skybox, sonos and the rest of the cat5 cables located understaffs by the modem so they can work across the house? (Currently have a big metal cabinet with built in gigabit switch and a separate switch).

Thank you - think we're close to having this all sorted!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well hopefully if the router is fine under the stairs then it might not be an issue. If it was maybe you could gigabit powerline back to the switch under the stairs.The ac87u is gigabit as well.
      I would try it all under the stairs first..

Note with the hg612 you can unlock it and then monitor it for your sync rates etc..have a look at kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612 for more details.

Keep us posted
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: VMG1312-B10A & Asus RT-86U with Merlin FW
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

hi ms,

if you decide to get yourself a separate modem (which i agree with chopper is a good idea) the time capsule can be used with it. instructions on how to connect it are in my sig
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298