Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

RT - AC87U - excellent in wan mode via BT OR modem

This is a discussion on RT - AC87U - excellent in wan mode via BT OR modem within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Folks just wanted to report how easy and refreshing it is to find a router that works perfectly in ...

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

RT - AC87U - excellent in wan mode via BT OR modem

Hi Folks

just wanted to report how easy and refreshing it is to find a router that works perfectly in wan mode along side the bt open reach modem.

Its been a lot of hassle to get my link stable, some of this I believe is due to being on an ECI cabinet. Since fitting an ECI bt modem and getting my line reset I have not seen a drop in the sync speed as I was experiencing before.
      The router is very easy to flash with merlin and took only a couple of minutes to setup, shame many of the other manufactures don't include the option60/61 on the wan port config, definetly missing a trick. Whilst I have tried a number of modem/router combo's and yes they all worked,they did not sync up to the maximum speed my line can handle and would not work in ethernet wan mode.

Wish I had done this ages ago, thanks to those who have helped me along the way.

I got the merlin firmware from here https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkf...#7rn3tb2osq43r

wan settings I have used so far

WAN Connection Type
      Enable WAN Yes
      Enable NAT Yes
      Enable UPnP UPnP FAQ No
      WAN DNS Setting
      Connect to DNS Server automatically Yes
      Account Settings
      MTU
      Authentication none

MAC Address enter your sky sr102 mac address

DHCP query frequency agressive mode

Manual clientid (for some ISPs) username@skydsl|password

nice to finally get it sorted....
      Last edited by skyeci; 24-01-16 at 05:44 PM.
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

2. Advertisement
      chris_shadez is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: RT - AC87U - excellent in wan mode via BT OR modem

Hi,

I also have the SR102 and an 87u but not so versed in router/networking settings.
      I've read other threads about a different sky router being used with a different "own router" but the settings pages are different and so confuses me when applying that to these specific routers. Think the threads were mostly for DLink DIR613, - Settings referring to DHCP and DMZ, disabling sky routers' wifi and making act as a modem (since sr102 does not have a 'modem only' option) rather than flashing own router to merlin and using it alone.

Would you/somoene plaese advise on how to do this specifically with SR102 and 87u?

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: RT - AC87U - excellent in wan mode via BT OR modem

I would imagine the 87u will only work as an access point with the sr102 as the sr102 wont work in "modem" only mode at all.
      If you use a 3rd party modem inconjunction with the 87u you wont need a dmz or any other non standard config. The 87u will only work in wan mode for sky if you flash it with merlin and connect it to a modem only device..

You could consider a hg612 (bt modem) or 8800nl(will act as a modem only, which is what I do as its in bridge mode)
      I would have a look at what cabinet you are on. If its an eci like me then you can still use an hg612 but it caused errors on my link. The 8800nl has been 100%fine as a modem and currently supports g.inp which has just activated on my line.
      If you want to monitor your line stats then really its either 612 or 8800nl as your modem. Then flash the 87u and connect the wan port to port 1 on the 8800nl and configure the wan port on the asus.
      You will need your sky username and password from the sr102. Theres a program on here to extract the details.
      Job done.

Cabinet details http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-l...#fttc_cab_info
      If you have any other questions please ask.
      Cheers
      Last edited by skyeci; 19-03-16 at 04:56 PM.
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skyeci For This Useful Post:

chris_shadez (02-05-16)