Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using Direct Access with Sky

This is a discussion on Using Direct Access with Sky within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all,Wondering if you can shed light on a situation that has been an issue for months now.We have multiple ...

Ray1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: N/A
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Using Direct Access with Sky

Hello all,Wondering if you can shed light on a situation that has been an issue for months now.We have multiple users who for whatever reason cannot use our Direct Access system whilst working at home.Similar to this thread: Microsoft direct access (vpn) not working for multiple users have established that the majority of users if not all use the SR102 router. Could it be firmware related?It'll work, but then all of a sudden one day, it won't. The system does not require any inbound connections, it reaches out on port 443 (HTTPS), which creates an IP-HTTPS tunnel. Does the router block this? Does certain firmware block this?Many thanks all.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Using Direct Access with Sky

Hello Ray1 and welcome to the forum. Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm not aware of any intentional blocking of port #443 on the SR102.

There are a couple of things that I might suggest...

If it is possible could you check which firmware version is being used? I maintain a table with all the current versions listed for the different routers here. Of note the SR102's firmware did roll back from 1086 for many people and 1087 hasn't been rolled out. Essentially there were some issues identified with 1086 that caused some SR102 routers to reboot on some Fibre connections, so the roll out was stopped. 1087 then hit the forums but I believe that this was being tested and not public. There may be another version being tested now.

Whilst this might be a little bit more of a headache, would it be possible for you to reconfigure your VPN to use another port? Whilst 443 is pretty 'normal' a lot of hackers out there search to see if specific ports are open on many routers, expecting certain traffic & applications behind them.

Alternatively you get a small group to reserve an IP Address for one of their computers and forward port #443 specifically to them to see if this resolves the issue.

We have some useful guides on this forum for the SR101 which will work identically with the SR102.

IP Address Reservation

Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom services)

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

spadge007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middleton
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1 View Post
      Hello all,Wondering if you can shed light on a situation that has been an issue for months now.We have multiple users who for whatever reason cannot use our Direct Access system whilst working at home.Similar to this thread: Microsoft direct access (vpn) not working for multiple users have established that the majority of users if not all use the SR102 router. Could it be firmware related?It'll work, but then all of a sudden one day, it won't. The system does not require any inbound connections, it reaches out on port 443 (HTTPS), which creates an IP-HTTPS tunnel. Does the router block this? Does certain firmware block this?Many thanks all.
      We use direct access also and not had any problems with sky routers. I setup and configured the direct access implementation and have a SR102 at home.

Just checked the firmware on my SR102 is 2.89.1088.R

Have you configured your DA setup to only use iphttps. Have you got teredo and or 6to4 support enabled.

lettice is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0.4 mile away and cabinet 350 yards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: ER110UK Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ2tb + minis
      Thanks

Yes sr102 firmware is now 2.89.1088.R.
      DSL firmware remains the same A2pv6F039m1.d24m
      It must have been last week that it got updated on my old sr102, as on the 24th it was still on 1086 and on 27th it was 1088, took screen prints then for the move over.

Edit: sorry was on 1086, not 1087, as i put earlier.
      Last edited by lettice; 03-03-16 at 12:45 PM.

spadge007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Middleton
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lettice View Post
      Yes sr102 firmware is now 2.89.1088.R.
      DSL firmware remains the same A2pv6F039m1.d24m
      It must have been last week that it got updated on my old sr102, as on the 24th it was still on 1087 and on 27th it was 1088, took screen prints then for the move over.
      My SR102 is running the same DSL firmware A2pv6F039m1.d24m