Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Hi Guys

This is a discussion on Hi Guys within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ive had Sky Fibre for about a year now. I knew I could not live with Sky Hub as had ...

Christiangaz777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Guys

Ive had Sky Fibre for about a year now. I knew I could not live with Sky Hub as had for over a year SR102 and it has been useless.

My setup is wireless and there is no interference around the router, it is placed on a table off the ground. I purchased TP Link Archer C5 to try and make use of a 5GHZ band.

What I have been finding over the 4 months I have had the Archer C5 is that yes it works, but it doesnt play too nicely with Sky Hub. I get more breakups of connection than before. I am using 5GHZ band and the router is placed next to Sky Hub, connected with ethernet cable.

I dont know what to do. Would a homeplug help? I am using my laptop upstairs mostly, I rarely get 5 bars. I am using windows 10, and my laptop has one of the latest wireless chips from Intel. Is there any other settings I can change? Either on laptop, TP-Link settings or Sky Hub?.I mean 7/10 times I am getting about 34-37 down which is what I am paying for, but the drops are too much to handle.

Hoping I dont have to spend any money. Sky are best for Customer service, but recently they got so simple and it is just getting worse. I know they cant help me with a 3rd party router even though I am still using Sky Hub as the main router.

Regards

Garry

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Hi Guys

Guys would I benefit from moving the Archer upstairs and feeding a 20 or 30m cat 5e or 6 cable from the Sky Hub to it? Then maybe I could use a smaller cable for my PS4 or laptop, or would I have to use the wireless for them. PS4 is terrible for internet connection

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Cables imho beat wireless hands down in all situations.
      In the holdi household the only things that connect by wireless are phones.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Cables can be cumbersome, thats why I mentioned homeplugs. But with the 2 routers im worried of creating any interference.

Would be great to hear from anyone else

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christiangaz777 View Post
      Cables can be cumbersome, thats why I mentioned homeplugs. But with the 2 routers im worried of creating any interference.

Would be great to hear from anyone else
      If you are using the wireless on the TP and it is placed near to the Sky hub, you would be better disabling the wifi on the Hub. Although the bands are less congested, 5ghz does not have the same 'penetration' power of 2.4ghz. If you are going through walls/ceilings/floors it may be better using the lower 2.4ghz band.

If you are reducing the amount of walls/ceilings by moving the TP upstairs, then that would be the best solution. Homeplug would work, but you will likely get a better performance using a Cat5e cable. Just be sure when you buy the cable it is solid copper and not CCS(copper covered steel) or aluminium.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I do have wifi off with Sky Hub. Its how I managed to get the connection through the TP Link. And do you mean if I get the cable, feed it straight to my Sky Hub (or TP Link) and take it upstairs? Hoping there would be an easier way than fishing the cable through a wall (hence the reason I mention homeplugs). I am just worried about creating any more interference. Also, the end of the cable would have to be flexible enough to plug it in to my laptop/and PS4.

There is also powerline adaptors what about them?
      Last edited by Christiangaz777; 01-01-16 at 08:33 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

As I said, you can use a cable to link the 2 routers or if that's impracticable use Homeplug or Powerline, same think with different name. If you buy Homeplugs make sure they are at least 500mb, or you will loose out on your fibre speed. These would be connected to the Hub at one end and your TP router at the other. If you are using a laptop, wireless should be sufficient, unless you are gaming then a cable is preferred.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi there. I actually went with a tp link power line it says 500. It was non wifi version.

After some tinkering (trying to find space for cables and ideal distance) I moved the TP-Link router upstairs and connected with the power line from Sky downstairs.

After remembering to connect the TP end to the main socket I connected TV and PS4 via Ethernet.

On PS4 I got between 31 and 37 mbps down which is amazing, wifi I'm using on my laptop/phone etc and I think there is an improvement have been getting the speed consistently time will tell.

Cost me 24.99 for 2 plugs. Maybe I'll post results of ping etc when I get the chance just because I havnt got a clue about these stats.

Regards

Garry