Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

asus acrt router to replace sagem

This is a discussion on asus acrt router to replace sagem within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by coipu I use powerline for the NUC/KODI that I use and a Seagate 4TB NAS (tucked away ...

theballboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bt47
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: asus acrt router to replace sagem

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      I use powerline for the NUC/KODI that I use and a Seagate 4TB NAS (tucked away in a cupboard) for a little extra storage as the NUC only has a 1TB secondary drive. The most useful feature of the latest Merlin is that you can assign a perm OpenVPN connection to the NUC which also kills the box's connection if it goes down. Great if you decide to use Genesis and similar addons. The Seagate NAS' are cheap and also have cloud access features if that is important to you, but they are dumbed down quite badly)
      That sounds really useful that you can assign vpn connection to individual IP's. I thought it would have been a blanket approach on the router.

What about the VPN service. From what I gather, its free. Is this the case? is 'openvpn' the service asus provide?
      I currently use Privateinternetaccess VPN

The QNAP i use is top notch and they have made access recently available to google drive so might try sync stuff i need access to with it. I begrudge paying 30 or whatever for DDNS becuase sky wont allocate a static ip.

2. Advertisement
      theballboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bt47
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Iv just bought 2 devolo 650+ gigabit port powerlines. I had 3 tplinks previous and a triple port generic one all rated 500. The tp links were dropping the connection quite a bit and it resulted in me getting kicked out of places online and losing work, and issues in streaming content. looked into it more and seems a lot of people have issues with the tp links. Devolo on other hand seems quite highly rated for reliability and speed, including their new range + technology on the 650's. Which would explain the price differential between them. Tp links are very cheap compared to the devolos.

But i need access for another 2 boxes in one room and a triple in the devolo is at least 60. The wifi bridge is only 25. ac bridge only be 15ft from the router which i thought would give a decent speed when given the sole 5ghz connection in the place. really its only for ondemand streaming / kodi streaming etc. I thought that would do the job. Big price differential from 25 to 60. Especially when Ive spent 50 on new homeplugs so far and will have to acquire the asus router.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER or is it?
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I would only go power line for media streaming/gaming, everything else is fine by WiFi. I use TorGuard as my VPN service.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12