Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wall mounting Netgear D7000 - power supply not long enough?

This is a discussion on Wall mounting Netgear D7000 - power supply not long enough? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Pretty much as in the title really. I'm looking to wall mount the router, partly in an attempt to improve ...

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Wall mounting Netgear D7000 - power supply not long enough?

Pretty much as in the title really. I'm looking to wall mount the router, partly in an attempt to improve the range and partly to get the big beast off my desk. Unfortunately, the rather miserly length of power supply lead they have supplied isn't long enough to stretch as far up the wall to where I want to put the router. I have tried asking my local computer shop, Maplins and Netgear and none has been very helpful. Can anyone tell me whether this extension lead at http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ALMLX...I3J1IHLHRYFEVG would do the job or, if not, what else I could try?

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Wall mounting Netgear D7000 - power supply not long enough?

I was thinking about something like that too.

There is one concern that I would have though. I have had some experiences with using similar extension leads for a couple of devices and basically they failed.

The wires were causing a drop in the amps and by the time it reached the device they didn't always perform as required.

If I had the right knowledge and access to the right kit, I might have considered building my own PSU with a longer lead so that it could generate sufficient power for the longer length of cable. Of course this would mean that you aren't using the manufacturer's PSU.

Thankfully Amazon does have a good returns policy, provided that you return the goods in good condition (i.e. not chopped up to make the extension yourself).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

How far do you actually need to extend the cable?

You've said in another thread you were not happy with the range, but you never came back to say why. Is the D7000 in room at one end of the house, does the room have brick walls?

Raising it a couple of feet will make little difference, if the range is poor from where it currently is on a desk.

Let us know the layout and we'll see if there is a way to improve things another way.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

nw1456 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

At the risk of sounding a bit obvious, could you not just use something like this? 1 way gang 3M metre 13amp extension lead cable plug socket uk brand mains | eBay

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

L
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I was thinking about something like that too.

There is one concern that I would have though. I have had some experiences with using similar extension leads for a couple of devices and basically they failed.

The wires were causing a drop in the amps and by the time it reached the device they didn't always perform as required.

If I had the right knowledge and access to the right kit, I might have considered building my own PSU with a longer lead so that it could generate sufficient power for the longer length of cable. Of course this would mean that you aren't using the manufacturer's PSU.

Thankfully Amazon does have a good returns policy, provided that you return the goods in good condition (i.e. not chopped up to make the extension yourself).
      Thinking back to my college days which is a long time ago! It's not the capability of the power supply that is the issue its the length of the cable and the voltage.
      The lower the voltage the more lose you will get over a given length of cable.
      So say 5 metres of cable 12 volts in at one end add the resistance of the cable you might only get 10.5 or 11 volts out at the other end. Then 5 volts over the same length you may only get 2.5 or 3 volts out at the other end. A much thicker cable can compensate for this issue.
      Last edited by Koala5; 28-11-15 at 01:12 PM.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Ohms law... . However, the solution is fairly simple. Cut the cable and insert a length of .75mm two core lighting flex in the middle. You will have to join it, maybe with a couple of chock blocks, or solder and sleave it. It won't look pretty but it will do the job.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Thanks all, have now extended the lead. Re the layout, there isn't much choice in where the router goes. The master socket is the only one we can plug it in to and that is in the front right hand corner of the house as you look at it from the front. The problematic rooms are the lounge at the back right of the house and the bedroom above it as well as the bedroom at the front left. I'm thinking that the easiest thing to do is to wall mount the router as planned to get it off the desk and then use either a wifi extender or upgrade our homeplugs to sort out the range problem.

From reading up it seems to me that homeplugs would be better? We currently have a homeplug in the lounge with the Sky+ box plugged in to it. It acts as a wifi extender to the lounge but I'm only getting around 14Mbps through it. The homeplugs are 5 year-old Solwise 200AVs. I asked Solwise and they recommended upgrading to their 500AVs, I'm assuming this one at Value - Solwise HomePlug AV with Dual Band WiFi - PLV-500AV-PEWN. Does anyone have any comments please or could recommend an alternative? I assume that it would need to be 5Gz compatible as that's the only network with good speed.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Could I suggest that you perform a local experiment to how fast you can copy between two computers either side of the HomePlugs? If the speed falls significantly short of the potential of 100mbps (I'd be happy with 80mbps) then I'd be considering another option.

If it is possible my favourite choice would be to run a length of Cat 5e cable behind the walls, up through the loft, to a wall socket at each end. You could then fit a suitable Wireless Extender and connect the Sky+ HD STB to that.

If you wanted to expand things further at a later date, you could place a 1Gbit Network Switch in the loft and run another Cat 5e cable to another room.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms