Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Help Needed With Sky SR102

This is a discussion on Help Needed With Sky SR102 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys n Gals, this my first post and apologise in advance if I sound rather stupid, I hope the ...

Thunderpants is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Help Needed With Sky SR102

Hi Guys n Gals, this my first post and apologise in advance if I sound rather stupid, I hope the explanation below will help you to understand my issues.

After serving 21 years in the Army I was unfortunately injured once too many and was medically discharged with mental and physical disabilities. I am now living in my adapted house with my wife and two giant breed dogs.

I take a substantial amount of opioid's which in turn cause side affects with thought processes and hallucinations etc.

Anyhoo, I need your patience and understanding if you elect to help me deal with my broadband issues.

Very recently I was with BT with fibre HH5 and didn't really have a problem with it but left as a result of the attitude of call centre staff and joined Sky Fibre 40mb unlimited, with the SR102 router.

It has now been 2 weeks and although it appears that I have the 40mb coming to the house and I have my digi box directly attached to the hub.

I have an ipad,laptop and kindle which are attached wirelessly, I frequently check the signal and change it when needed. My issue is with the wireless, I am using a plug and wireless booster but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Can anyone advise me how I can resolve these issues as I feel Sky fed me a pack of lies with regards to wireless etc.

Best Regards
      Steve

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,207 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: Help Needed With Sky SR102

A warm welcome to the forum Steve.

Firstly when you change the signal, what is it you are actually doing? I.e. changing channel?

What kind of home do you live in? By this I'm more interested in what it is made from.

The Sky Wireless booster isn't great. Personally I'd recommend a Wireless Extender. Connect this using an Ethernet cable to the Sky Hub and your WiFi issues should be considerably better.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      A warm welcome to the forum Steve.

Firstly when you change the signal, what is it you are actually doing? I.e. changing channel?

What kind of home do you live in? By this I'm more interested in what it is made from.

The Sky Wireless booster isn't great. Personally I'd recommend a Wireless Extender. Connect this using an Ethernet cable to the Sky Hub and your WiFi issues should be considerably better.
      Thank you for your welcome, when i change the channel it is through the sky router after i have scanned the signal.

My house is an open plan one and i am using a TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300 Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories this is not making much of a difference.

I also have a BT hh 5 which is gathering dust.

Thanks

Thank you. It sounds likely that the WiFi channel isn't the issue. Can I suggest that you set it to 'Auto' on the SR102 and leave it to sort out the best channel it can?

As for the WiFi issue, did you have the same issue with the BT router? If not then it is possible that you may be able to use it to resolve this one.

That TP-Link will have the same issues as the Sky Wireless Booster. If you purchased it recently, look at getting it returned.

Use the guide in the link below to configure the BT router. Just a word of caution, the BT HomeHub v3 was a PITA to configure in this manner. I'm not sure about the BT Home Hub v5.

How to connect two Routers together

If the BT Home Hub doesn't work, try a different Wireless Extender. I've just looked up a couple and they connect via WiFi to the router. This isn't good. What is needed is either one that connects via an Ethernet cable to the Sky Hub or a pair of HomePlugs, with one having a WiFi connection.

I have an early start tomorrow so can't spend the time this evening looking it up. Try the link above first though.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your help and time,it is very much appreciated. I have managed to follow the directions on how to piggy back the Bt HH5 with the SR102. My wifi is much stronger and I am able to use it in the conservatory which i could not before.

Can i ask what would happen if the power is interrupted to either router, would i have to set up again?

Further can anyone advise if this router would be a better option to my current set up. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...otukdealsev-21

Can i also ask if it could replace the Sky SR102.

Best Regards
      Steve

Thanks

The settings should be retained in both routers should you have a power cut.

The exception would be if there was a significant spike in the power levers and the internal memory was damaged.

Of course it would also be advisable NOT to press the reset button on the BT HH5. That too would wipe any settings. Would I would suggest though would be for you to make a backup of the configuration and keep it safe on your computer.
      Thunderpants likes this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that Scubbie can i ask does it mater which signal no it is on ?

Thanks

If you mean the WiFi channel, then not really.

Of course it is always beneficial to ensure that you are using the best channel for where you live. The Sky Hubs are designed to change WiFi channel to the best one where you live. They can and do periodically change channel as circumstances change.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Further can anyone advise if this router would be a better option to my current set up. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...otukdealsev-21

Can i also ask if it could replace the Sky SR102.
      No it would not be suitable. To replace the Hub you need a router with a built in VDSL modem. Such as this -
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Arch...=tp+link+vr900

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.