Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Just a though...Why don't Sky Issue a list of approved FTTC routers

This is a discussion on Just a though...Why don't Sky Issue a list of approved FTTC routers within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As BT allow third party routers on FTCC, would it not be a good idea if Sky did a similar ...

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Just a though...Why don't Sky Issue a list of approved FTTC routers

As BT allow third party routers on FTCC, would it not be a good idea if Sky did a similar thing?

There is no need to approve every router out there, just a couple maybe...

Especially for the Pro users, who I suspect probably do use thier own in most cases.

Just musing...
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

2. Advertisement
      Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Just a though...Why don't Sky Issue a list of approved FTTC routers

I dont see the fuss we know how to authenticate
      Im paying sky more than i would with pretty much any other mainstream isp
      They arnt going to turn peoples line off

Its more down to not wanting support calls due to external router issues

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I've sort of got mixed feelings about the reason(s) Sky lock down their boxes.

On the one hand I understand that they want control and be able to offer support for a device they have issued, but on the other hand, I'm sure they are aware that those who want to, will have the knowledge to be able to obtain their username/password from the Sky box and use it in a third party device.

I'd also guess that these same people are less likely to be calling Sky for support with their box, and if they did need to, I'm guessing again that they'd know that they'd need to hook up Sky's box before making the call to support, knowing that Sky would not entertain their call otherwise?

Personally, I think they could just supply all their users with their username/password and make it clear that the only support that will be offered (think they already do this with regards support?), is with the supplied box. As it stands, Sky 'hiding' the username/password in their supplied boxes is a bit lame and ends up just being a small hurdle users have to jump through before connecting up their own box.

I've been with Sky Broadband for some time now and I remember the very first thing I did when I got hooked up with the original ADSL connection, was to grab my username/password and use my own (Netgear box at the time) kit. It's hard to remember what the specs were like for their ADSL boxes and if they were good, or bad, but since hooking up with Sky Fibre and using their supplied SR102, I knew very quickly that the SR102 left a lot to be desired and very quickly grabbed some third party gear to get around the limitations of the Sky box.

Maybe, Sky will actually bring out a new Sky Fibre box that is that good, none of us will feel the need to use a third party device (nah... that aint gonna happen! :-) ) but in the mean time, I wish they'd drop the pretence and just issue username/password to those that want or need it.

Thanks

Agree with both Sam_Skyuser and Shonk. My thoughts were that as the supplied routers generally fall short of the current standard, Sky could perhaps pick a couple of third party routers that thier support staff could be trained on, it would only mean picking up a differnet crib sheet.

As for the Fibre Pro & the Pro support team, I suspect they don't really care what modem you using. When I had a problem last year, cannot remember who I spoke to, I was getting a nuch slower sync than I should have been, he asked what modem I was using, what sync I was getting and how long I had been using it and when the problem started, did a couple of checks his end and got BT to come out; there was an issue with the backplate connection it turned out. The Pro team were BE so I suspect they are used to different modem/router devices.

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

That was good that the support team were willing to give help, knowing that you were using a third party box :-)

From memory, I think I've only ever called the tech support at Sky once and that was some years ago and was definitely when I was on their ADSL broadband.

Think it was an issue surrounding speed at the time (think I wanted them to drop my SNR margin?) and I remember them giving out the line at the beginning of the call about them only being able to give support if I was using their box (I'd swapped out the one I was using at the time to their's, just prior to making the call :-)) but with regards the actual help that they offered, I remember feeling it was good and they also ensured that they tested my line and other stuff before I finished the call with them.

I guess they could have a small short list of devices that they could name and support so that if a customer wanted to, they could use one of those instead of the supplied device?

I'm not sure but I'd guess that the large proportion of calls are from when something has gone wrong with the actual connection and other than the support person checking the line for faults and if need be issuing an engineer call to fix the problem or replacing their box (there's a thing... if they replace their box, does it actually come with a new username/password?), then my guess is that most help can be offered from the ever popular 'crib sheet' the support teams use?

Thankfully now, we have an ever increasing list of third party devices that will work with Sky's Fibre network and at least those that want to, can pick one of those to use rather than the pretty poor SR102.

aciidsn3ak3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYCSG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Asus RT-AC66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What I don't understand (and correct me if i'm wrong), its only the FTTC service you need to use their supplied router. Their ADSL service allows any.

Thanks

That's totally correct!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aciidsn3ak3r View Post
      What I don't understand (and correct me if i'm wrong), its only the FTTC service you need to use their supplied router. Their ADSL service allows any.
      That is a hangover from when O2/BE were taken over, being able to use their own routers was one of the sign up conditions. They could hardly have some of their customers strictly tied down and others free to use what they wanted. As O2/BE did not have Fibre, there was no need to open this up to Fibre users.

The biggest drawback with the Sky system is using the router to authenticate the connection. This means that unless the router is physically connected to the line, the support staff cannot see the username or password. Making the sign in unique to the user, rather than the router would be a far better system. This is used by most other ISPs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

And there is was no logical reason why they could not do that as far as I can see. I assume that once the fibre gets back to the exchange that customer is patched into Sky'd backhaul. However, changing it now could be a problem so they are stuck with it.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Sky did add a specific 'easy' user ID & password for the ex-O2 & Be customers. Many people who were not on the O2/Be can also use these details. So doing something similar for everyone on an FTTC connection would not be technically impossible.

This is a topic that gets raised periodically with the forum support staff. Raising it every other day would result in this issue falling on stone-deaf ears so whilst I would love to see it changed like last year, it still hasn't happened.

Currently the official line is that non-Sky routers will not be supported on a Sky FTTC connection. There are also currently no intentions to change this policy.

On the up side though, whilst a similar policy existed on the ADSL connections, this did eventually change due to someone promising the ex-O2 & Be customers on their forums (whoops!).

With the swap over to IPv6 that is due I guess within the next 14 months, there will be further changes to the Sky connections. I'll be interested to see how this goes. My SR101 is already seeing my WNDR3800 router with an IPv6 address, even though I'm not on IPv6 and the WNDR3800 says it has an IPv4 address.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast