Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Ditched SR102 - now using TP-Link VR900

This is a discussion on Ditched SR102 - now using TP-Link VR900 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First off.. many thanks to the members who posted replies and gave great suggestions and info to my post about ...

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Ditched SR102 - now using TP-Link VR900

First off.. many thanks to the members who posted replies and gave great suggestions and info to my post about ditching the SR102 and going with a third party device and thanks to nathanknott for his original post in the forums about the TP-Link VR900 and the information that TP-Link had a new firmware update that supports the Sky fibre network

I've just finished setting up the TP-Link VR900 (vdsl modem/router) and glad to report that so far, everything has gone well.

First thing I did was to flash the VR900 with the latest firmware that supports the Sky fibre network (Sky vdsl connection is in the listing now of ISP's when you first set up the device ) and then I entered my username and password that I'd previously extracted from the SR102 (using WireShark ); I was a very happy bunny when I saw the connection to the internet light appear on the front of the VR900

After setting passwords etc. for the dual band Wi-Fi, basically, the device was more or less done and after doing a speed test, I've found my speeds are back to what I'd originally got when I first upgraded to Sky Fibre Pro a few weeks back and am getting about 61 megs down and 19 megs up.

Obviously I'm going to have a closer look at the other settings in the VR900 (nice user interface) but just wanted to post so that for anyone who might be thinking about moving away from Sky's supplied modem/router, then something like the VR900, with the latest firmware, works a treat

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Ditched SR102 - now using TP-Link VR900

Glad it works for you, seems not all VR900 users are enjoying the same success, let's hope yours continues to behave itself.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Glad it works for you, seems not all VR900 users are enjoying the same success, let's hope yours continues to behave itself.
      Thanks for that :-)

Always a bit of a breath holding moment when you do things like flash a device with firmware and then keep your fingers crossed it actually connects. Glad to report for my own experience, all the steps went really smoothly and easily... the TP-Link VR900 user interface is nicely laid out and the initial set up (once the firmware was upgraded) was very straightforward with Sky's ISP info appearing as part of the on-board list.

All the main settings were put in automatically (after I'd set in my username/password) and the box asked if I wanted to save the settings once the internet connection was established.

I've just spent about 15 minutes having a closer look at the VR900's set up menu and really... for anyone who doesn't want to do more than just select the ISP and enter the username/password, then the 'BASIC' settings options (default) is fine. Going to the advance settings of course give a much more granular level and you can tweak to your heart's content.

Sorry to hear someone is having problems with their VR900....I wonder if they've flashed the box with the latest firmware? ... after reading 'nathanknott's original post in the forum, I made sure I had the latest firmware downloaded to my Laptop and ready to install as the first job :-)

Cheers

Just a quick update about the sync' speed with the VR900.

After the first week when I'd upgraded to Sky Fibre Pro, my sync and through-put speeds were gradually dropping (using the SR102) :-( ....

While looking around the various reports and stats in the new VR900, I noticed it showed my sync speed as .... 19999 up / 66 megs down ... but it also showed maximum possible connection speed as 22 megs up / 70 megs down .... interesting :-) ... just wondering if there's any way I can squeeze even more from the VR900 now ? :-)

nivek1612 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armitage
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTC 80/20
      Router: OPNsense and Billion 8800NL v1
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb+2xMini
      Thanks

I have just packed mine back in the box to return it

there is no uptime in the stats so it not obvious but by telneting into the router I was able to see it was resynching quite often

i was on the lasted firmware

back to my AirPort Extreme and HG612
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is what happens while your making plans

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nivek1612 View Post
      I have just packed mine back in the box to return it

there is no uptime in the stats so it not obvious but by telneting into the router I was able to see it was resynching quite often

i was on the lasted firmware

back to my AirPort Extreme and HG612
      Hi ... sorry to hear you are having problems. I've only just taken delivery of the VR900 late this afternoon (Sunday 11 Oct') and finished setting it up within the hour so I've not really had much chance to have an in-depth look around.

I seem to remember some of the stats showing uptime and SNR type line stats along with lease times etc. I also noticed that my sync speed seems to be reporting what I was getting when I first got upgraded to Sky Fibre Pro a few weeks back and interestingly (hopefully), my present sync speed is shown as 19 megs up / 66 megs down, but the VR900 also shows maximum possible connection speeds of 22 megs up and 70 megs down for my connection .... interesting :-)

Again, sorry you are having problems. As first mentioned, my VR900 is still hot out of the box so really am just finding my way around it at the moment.

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again....

I've just been back into the VR900 and grabbed some of the DSL stats ... it's obviously in a nicely laid out box in the VR900, but here's some of the stuff I've just found...

Line Status:
      Connected
      DSL Modulation Type:
      VDSL2
      Annex Type:
      Annex A/L/M
      Upstream Downstream
      Current Rate(kbps) 19999 66997
      Max Rate(kbps) 22588 70051
      SNR Margin(dB) 14.7 6.6
      Line Attenuation(dB) 0 21
      Errors(pkts) 10 0

Thanks

Hi again... am quickly jumping back and forth between the VR900 and reporting back :-)

Just noticed when I select the IPV6 box, it looks like there's a possible connection using dynamic IP connection... like the IPV4 type? Not exactly sure what that means, but would hope that when Sky roll out IPV6, that it shouldn't be too hard to connect using the on-board IPV6 functionality of the VR900?

pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Hi all,
      Okay this stuff is way too complicated for me but I do have a question. If the software is the latest and it supports Sky why do you/me need to flash it. Surely if this is the latest firmware then it should already be on the device or it should update automatically. Although thinking about that last remark I suppose it would have to have a viable internet connection to update

This is a genuiane question though. I do find this stuff a tad confusing.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

They are assembled and shipped with whatever default firmware the factory has at that time, by the time Joe bloggs buys it then the firmware could be three or more revisions later. As for auto firmware update.... Not always a great idea. Best not to update firmware unless there is a genuine reason to do so. Manufacturers often break things as well as fix things.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Thanks

Hi....

The latest firmware was not on the one I got this afternoon (Sunday 11 Oct') and I'd grabbed the latest firmware from the TP-Link site in preparation for taking delivery of the box today. I'll have a look to see the date of the latest firmware shortly and report back :-)

A forum member, 'nathanknott' was where I first read about the latest firmware for the VR900 and that it supported the Sky Fibre network (the info about the firmware specifically makes reference to Sky ISP) so I was ready with the latest firmware downloaded and ready to go on my Laptop before I started to set up the VR900 this afternoon :-)

The firmware takes the form of a .bin file and the modem router itself has a facility to load a new updated firmware file that is stored on your computer (or other suitable storage device). It was (for me at least) a very straight-forward process to hit the 'update firmware' option in the VR900 and then to browse for the firmware .bin file on my Laptop.

The VR900 then starts the process of loading the new firmware into the box... of course you have to ensure you do not turn off the laptop or Modem/router during the update ...and it finishes off the process of updating by telling you that the modem/router will reboot... at which point you can then log back into the menu to alter or make changes to any settings.

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
      Hi all,
      Okay this stuff is way too complicated for me but I do have a question. If the software is the latest and it supports Sky why do you/me need to flash it. Surely if this is the latest firmware then it should already be on the device or it should update automatically. Although thinking about that last remark I suppose it would have to have a viable internet connection to update

This is a genuiane question though. I do find this stuff a tad confusing.
      Hi again.

The date of the latest firmware provided by the TP-Link support site is 18/09/2015 ... here's the information about what the latest firmware contains. This information is from the TP-Link support site and I've just spotted a number of (their) spelling mistakes :-)

=========================

Archer_VR900_V1_150909
      Published Date
      18/09/15
      Language
      English
      File Size
      15.58 MB
      Modifications and Bug Fixes
      New Features
      1.Devices' name can be modifid in your WLAN or LAN.
      2.G.INP is supported
      3.The PIN code of 3/4G SIM card can be unlocked automatically
      4.HTTPS URL filtering supported in Parental Control
      5.Update and the ISP's list for xDSL configuration,and sky(MER)_VDSL is added to the list.
      6.IPV6 tunnel function is added.

Bug Fixed
      1.fix the bug that BT Youview can't be get by BT user.
      2.fix the bug that URL filtering fails.
      3.fix the bug the NAT Loopback fails.
      4.fix some bugs about the User Interface

Notes
      For Archer VR900(UN) V1

=============================

As you can see, it spefically states that Sky is supported with the new G.INP support that is required by Sky?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast