Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Ditched SR102 - now using TP-Link VR900

This is a discussion on Ditched SR102 - now using TP-Link VR900 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; G.Inp is not required by Sky. G.Inp is a form of error correction applied to VDSL . Option 61/60 is ...

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Re: Ditched SR102 - now using TP-Link VR900

G.Inp is not required by Sky. G.Inp is a form of error correction applied to VDSL . Option 61/60 is what Sky needs and that's where you entered your username and password. Option 60 too I hope.

It's often referred to as MER but it isn't.
      Scubbie likes this.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

2. Advertisement
      sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      G.Inp is not required by Sky. G.Inp is a form of error correction applied to VDSL . Option 61/60 is what Sky needs and that's where you entered your username and password. Option 60 too I hope.

It's often referred to as MER but it isn't.
      Hi ... thanks for the info... all good stuff.

All those things you mentioned are in the update info for the latest firmware except cant see where the 'option 61/60' comes in?

Anyway, the new firmware seems to do the trick and other than changing the log in password for the VR900, I think all I needed to add was my Sky usernam/password and basically, the box configured the rest itself :-)

It's nice to be free of the SR102. I'll just keep that in it's box ... just in case I ever need it. Also, with luck, TP-Link will add more features and functions to future firmware updates, but at least this one means that the VR900 is a go'er with Sky Fibre Broadband :-)

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 20.7.a*
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Username password is option 61 or vendor identifier string, thats what tplink have added to enable sky connections. Option 60 or vendor class identifier string should also have been added as netgear have done. Some say its not needed but I have always entered it on my routers and never had any problems, maybe it isn't needed but it certainly does not hurt to have it, and that's what the sky routers send.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

sam_skyuser (11-10-15)

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Username password is option 61 or vendor identifier string, thats what tplink have added to enable sky connections. Option 60 or vendor class identifier string should also have been added as netgear have done. Some say its not needed but I have always entered it on my routers and never had any problems, maybe it isn't needed but it certainly does not hurt to have it, and that's what the sky routers send.
      Thanks for the info... I guess the VR900 has both now then with the new firmware? The box offered the usual two boxes to enter the username/password combo (think it also asked to confirm by typing the password in again?... cant remember for sure?). It took what seemed about 30 seconds or so to authenticate against Sky's servers then the 'connected' status light appeared on the front and was also confirmed in the VR900's UI.

I dont know when TP-Link introduced the VR900, but it looks like the original firmware date is from April 2015 and with the latest firmware being the second (maybe 3rd?) one released to the public.

Having things like the ability to plug in a 3g/4g dongle seems a nice touch too. I guess handy if you ever needed a backup internet connection?

SteakNinja is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Luton, Bedfordshire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sam_skyuser View Post
      First thing I did was to flash the VR900 with the latest firmware that supports the Sky fibre network (Sky vdsl connection is in the listing now of ISP's when you first set up the device ) and then I entered my username and password that I'd previously extracted from the SR102 (using WireShark )
      Apologies for reviving this thread... :P

I am testing a few current VDSL routers on my home Sky connection, for performance. Among the contenders is the Archer VR900.
      Its worth noting now that the 'Latest' firmware published 10/12/15 appears to be a non-UK firmware, and as such does not support many of the ISPs in the UK.
      Firmware published on 11/11/15 does appear to be valid for Sky(MER) ISP.

...That being said...

Sadly i have had massive trouble connecting still
      When connecting to the Sky line with the ASUS DSL-AC68U, the connection process was really great...
      Infact, the Broadband Username worked as 'anything@skydsl' and 'anything@btbroadband.com', no Password.
      Now, i did try my supposed personal Username etc. with zero success with the VR900.

I suppose my question is, if the ASUS can negotiate Sky's VDSL without a specific U-Name/Pass, can anyone here theorise why the TP-Link would have so much trouble even with the firmware update?

I realise this is a Sky specific Forum, and it sounds like a TP-Link issue, but just wanted to get some thoughts from people who have already seemingly tackled this issue.

Thanks

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

Hi

This is slightly off topic but I wondered if you are seeing any difference in sync speeds between the standard sr102 if you have one and the vr900.. I just bought a d7000 which works great out of the box but its syncing lower than the sr102 so I am interested to know how the vr900 compares sync speed wise if you are able to see.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SteakNinja View Post
      Apologies for reviving this thread... :P

I am testing a few current VDSL routers on my home Sky connection, for performance. Among the contenders is the Archer VR900.
      Its worth noting now that the 'Latest' firmware published 10/12/15 appears to be a non-UK firmware, and as such does not support many of the ISPs in the UK.

...That being said...

When connecting to the Sky line with the ASUS DSL-AC68U, the connection process was really great...
      Infact, the Broadband Username worked as 'anything@skydsl' and 'anything@btbroadband.com', no Password.
      Now, i did try my supposed personal Username etc. with zero success with the VR900.

I suppose my question is, if the ASUS can negotiate Sky's VDSL without a specific U-Name/Pass, can anyone here theorise why the TP-Link would have so much trouble even with the firmware update?

I realise this is a Sky specific Forum, and it sounds like a TP-Link issue, but just wanted to get some thoughts from people who have already seemingly tackled this issue.

Thanks
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Zen VDSL 80/20 - ex sky fibre pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Zyxel vmg3925 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Thanks

My vr900 needed sky username and password plus the mac address gained from sr102. Without all that info it would not logon.
      Router is on Version:0.9.1 1.3 v004c.0 Build 151210 Rel.60969n*

=SteakNinja;458516]Apologies for reviving this thread... :P

...That being said...

Thanks
      Last edited by Isitme; 17-01-16 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Fixed 'qote'
      zyxel VMG3925 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

Thanks

Ah, i didnt try the MAC. I will give it a go at some point and get back to you if it helped.

but I wondered if you are seeing any difference in sync speeds between the standard sr102 if you have one and the vr900
      What do you mean by Sych Speeds?
      I have a 101, but will be testing a 102 soon.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sync speed is the speed you see on the router stats, not the actual download speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ah ok, my test criteria does not require those stats, so i haven't collected them. Sorry i cant offer an opinion.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast