Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre

This is a discussion on TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am new to sky forum, I would like to share my experience to use TP-LINK VR900 with sky fibre, ...

nathanknott is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre

I am new to sky forum, I would like to share my experience to use TP-LINK VR900 with sky fibre, I had SR101 and then we upgraded to sky fibre and got SR102 but I was not happy with the limited features and wireless performance and range, as been using TP-LINK power line units before and found them to be quite stable, I thought I will go for VR900 after checking that it will be compatible with sky fibre, the setup is quite easy and TP-LINK has special firmware for sky fibre, so you would just need to your sky username and password which I think most of the sky users know how to obtain it. Below are some steps which will help you to set VR900 with your sky fibre, you donít require any other unit this is all in one VDSL modem router.

1] Log into the unit, go to advance->system tools-> firmware upgrade and upgrade to the sky firmware which is on tp-link uk website its Archer_VR900_V1_150909
      2] Then go to quick setup select SKY VDSL as below
      TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre-untitled.jpg

3] Then input your sky username and password
      TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre-untitled2.jpg

4] Then complete the remaining setup with wireless setting and save it and you should be able to go on internet.

Hope this helps you if you have tp-link vr900.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nathanknott For This Useful Post:

Claremac (11-10-15),longdistancerunner (15-07-17),Nihilum (30-09-15),sam_skyuser (29-09-15)

3. Advertisement
      sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre

Thanks for that info nathanknott ...

I've very recently upgraded to Sky Fibre Pro and although I'm quite happy with my 62 megs down/19.5 megs up, I notice that my Sky SR102 reports 66 megs down in the stats and I'm wondering if I upgrade to another device, like the VR900, if the modem side of the device will be better than the one in the SR102?

I dont use the Wi-Fi in the SR102 (wow, it's poor!), but use a TP-Link Archer C9 (AC1900) Wi-Fi router and I'm pleased with the results but I'm wondering if it would be worth getting something to replace the modem side of things.... so, how are you finding the VR900 with regards your speeds when compared to the SR102 from Sky?

Thanks again for the info about the TP-Link VR900 :-)

nathanknott is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sam_skyuser View Post

I've very recently upgraded to Sky Fibre Pro and although I'm quite happy with my 62 megs down/19.5 megs up, I notice that my Sky SR102 reports 66 megs down in the stats and I'm wondering if I upgrade to another device, like the VR900, if the modem side of the device will be better than the one in the SR102?

I dont use the Wi-Fi in the SR102 (wow, it's poor!), but use a TP-Link Archer C9 (AC1900) Wi-Fi router and I'm pleased with the results but I'm wondering if it would be worth getting something to replace the modem side of things.... so, how are you finding the VR900 with regards your speeds when compared to the SR102 from Sky?

Thanks again for the info about the TP-Link VR900 :-)
      @sam are you using C9 as an ap just for wireless as i think sky SR102 cant be be used in modem only mode, so i think you are still not utilizing C9 to its full potential.

Its a tough one i think as u already got C9 which looks quite high end, and if you are happy with it doesn't see point in changing to VR900 as you are getting decent enough speed, its always good to have all in one device but your setup will also work and going good.

Thanks

Hi ... thanks for the reply :-)

Yes, I've switched off the Wi-Fi in the SR102 and just using the modem side of the box (the Wi-Fi from the SR102 is a joke).

My Archer C9 gives great performance with Wi-Fi and offers AC Wi-Fi for my devices that have it (Dell Laptop and I have the Archer USB3 dongle for AC on my computer which I use connected to my main TV, and I use it for streaming TV/Films etc.).

Given how poor the Wi-Fi is in the SR102, I suspect that the Modem side of the box can also be improved upon. A box like the VR900 (I've seen the latest firmware that specifically names Sky as part of the update) would seem ideal and I was thinking that the modem in the VR900 would be better than the one in the SR102?

Couple that with a good Wi-Fi (if it's anything like the C9) and I'd definitely think about upgrading to the VR900 and use it for both the modem and the Wi-Fi and put the SR102 away :-)

It would be nice to think that Sky might come out with a better modem/router soon, but in the mean time, it looks like for best performance all round, we have to think about third party gear.

Thanks again :-)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I was thinking that the modem in the VR900 would be better than the one in the SR102?
      Don't count on that. Although the Wifi and LAN ports are pretty rubbish the Modem side of the SR102 has proved very good. There are a few posts on the forum commenting that the sync speed with a 3rd party modem is lower than the SR102.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Don't count on that. Although the Wifi and LAN ports are pretty rubbish the Modem side of the SR102 has proved very good. There are a few posts on the forum commenting that the sync speed with a 3rd party modem is lower than the SR102.
      Many thanks for that .... that's good news. At least the SR102 has some redeeming qualities :-)

Looks like I'll be sticking with the SR102 Modem + Archer C9 Wi-Fi.... but it's good to know there's another working third party bit of kit that works with Sky, in the TP-Link VR900

Cheers

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sam_skyuser View Post

62 Mbps down is about the right throughput for a 66 Mbps sync speed. If you are connected to a Huawei cabinet it's unlikely it would make much difference switching to another router because the SR102 uses a Broadcom chipset.

Thanks

Think this is maybe the third attempt to reply …. The forum has not been available for a couple of days now and even now, after connecting, it seems very slow 

Thanks for the reply and yes, all noted about 62 megs about right for a 66 meg sync.

Actually, since last week, my sync speeds have been going down a bit each day… I thought at first I must have still been on ‘training’, but it seems each day now the speeds go down a bit more and today (Tuesday 6 October) my sync speed is down to just 60 megs and now lucky to get about 55 when I check on the speed test sight 

It would appear that the one saving grace of the SR102 is its modem so it looks like I’ll be sticking with the SR102 and my TP-Link Archer C9 for the wireless side of things.

Cheers

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER or is it?
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

The general downwards creep is something sky do (dunno about other ISPs). I lost 10 meg after couple months solid @40/6 my mum lost around 6 my mate lost 9. Others have mentioned it online too, we can't all have dodgy copper. I think they shave off any unexpected extra, keeps you within their initial quoted range (no cause for complaint) and frees up bandwidth for another "free year" user.

- - - Updated - - -

The general downwards creep is something sky do (dunno about other ISPs). I lost 10 meg after couple months solid @40/6 my mum lost around 6 my mate lost 9. Others have mentioned it online too, we can't all have dodgy copper. I think they shave off any unexpected extra, keeps you within their initial quoted range (no cause for complaint) and frees up bandwidth for another "free year" user.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Hi.... yes, it does seem a little odd this (almost) daily slow creep down in speed. I've noticed the upload has not moved and is still around 19.

My copper is about as new as you can get... less than three weeks old. There is some work getting done to the exterior of my property and as part of the overall work, BT removed the old copper to the pole (I paid for a new BT line about 6 or 7 years ago) and replaced with brand new stuff.

The engineer asked me to check my broadband speeds before and after he'd replaced the cable (this was before I'd upgraded to Sky Fibre Pro) and they were almost the same as I'd always had since getting Sky Fibre a little while ago.... about 37 down and 9 up... so I'd guess that the copper run, at least from the house to the poll, is not a contributing factor on this download creep of speed?

I'm just hoping it's finally bottomed out and my speeds wont slip down any further... fingers crossed.

P.s ... the forum seems a lot better this morning... I can actually connect albeit it's still pretty slow :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast