Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree1Likes

TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre

This is a discussion on TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; According to Magenta Systems CodeLook all fibre enabled cabinets on Arrowebrook exchange are Huawei....

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre

According to Magenta Systems CodeLook all fibre enabled cabinets on Arrowebrook exchange are Huawei.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

sam_skyuser (07-10-15)

3. Advertisement
      sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      According to Magenta Systems CodeLook all fibre enabled cabinets on Arrowebrook exchange are Huawei.
      Great info! ... many thanks

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sam_skyuser View Post
      Interesting stuff. My sync speed is now down to about 55 (still 19 up) and it looks like it's stuck there now :-(

Ok about G.Inp ... is there any (easy) way to find out if your line has had this enabled?.... again, it's info like this that makes me wonder if I can improve on the SR102's modem (happy with my Archer C9 Wireless router) and if so, then I think I'd look at getting something else rather than the SR102? (the TP-Link VR900 looks favourite).
      I know of no way to get the line stats from an SR102 or a TPLInk come to that, doesn't mean you can't, just that I don't know.

Cheapest method is to get hold of an OR modem ( Huawei ) ether already hacked or hack it yourself and hook that up, then you can get the stats. The other way is to bite the bullet and get a modem/router that allows you to get the stats such as the one I am using. However, if you are on a Huawei cab then I'm pretty sure that G.Inp will be on.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      I know of no way to get the line stats from an SR102 or a TPLInk come to that, doesn't mean you can't, just that I don't know.

Cheapest method is to get hold of an OR modem ( Huawei ) ether already hacked or hack it yourself and hook that up, then you can get the stats. The other way is to bite the bullet and get a modem/router that allows you to get the stats such as the one I am using. However, if you are on a Huawei cab then I'm pretty sure that G.Inp will be on.

Thanks for all the great info guys :-)

I know when I spotted this posting from the orginal OP about the TP-Link VR900 and the fact that the latest firmware supports the Sky settings (it's actually shown in the information about the firmware upgrade and names Sky), that I was tempted to get one and do away with the SR102 in the hope that performance... not just the Wi-Fi side of things, but also the modem side... would be worth it.

I extracted my username/password from my old (think it was a Sagem?) modem/router when I was on the ADSL broadband from Sky... not sure if that will still work with my Fibre Broadband, but if not, I'll grab WireShark and see if I can grab the info. At least then I'll have the option of trying something other than the SR102.

Thanks again.

Update: - I've just extracted my Sky Username/Password from my SR102 box using WireShark. I can confirm that they are not the same as the ones I'd got originally when I was on Sky ADSL Broadband. I seem to remember reading that the username/password is linked to the box? ... in that case, it would be expected that the info would be different for the username/password :-)

I'm very tempted now to get something else to replace my SR102 .... not sure if it would be better to get a combined modem/router (like the TP-Link VR900) or keep the modem and wi-fi router setperate?

It's good to have options though :-)
      Last edited by sam_skyuser; 07-10-15 at 08:49 PM.

nivek1612 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armitage
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTC 80/20
      Router: OPNsense and Billion 8800NL v1
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2Tb+2xMini
      Thanks

Firstly wireshark and the password extractor do provide different results BUT both seem to work

I have just configured the VR900 and hit connect - worked first time
      I have the OR modem and a Airport Extreme as my backup solution so I will never again suffer the auto firmware upgrade issues that Sky create :-)
      seawright likes this.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is what happens while your making plans

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nivek1612 View Post
      Firstly wireshark and the password extractor do provide different results BUT both seem to work

I have just configured the VR900 and hit connect - worked first time
      I have the OR modem and a Airport Extreme as my backup solution so I will never again suffer the auto firmware upgrade issues that Sky create :-)
      Hi ... interesting stuff. I used Wireshark on the SR102 to get my username/password. When I extracted my username/password (a few years ago now) when I was on Sky ADSL broadband, I used a password extractor util.

I'm guessing you installed the latest firmware for the VR900 which specifically mentions Sky?

I recently read the review of the VR900 over at the Kitz site and it got good marks all round. It's nice that there's another option for anyone wishing to get a box to use instead of the SR102 :-)

I'd be interested to know if you are noticing any differences with regards your sync speed from the VR900 compared to what you were using before?

(P.s ... the forums are painfully slow again today - Friday 9 Oct')

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sam_skyuser View Post
      Hi ... interesting stuff. I used Wireshark on the SR102 to get my username/password. When I extracted my username/password (a few years ago now) when I was on Sky ADSL broadband, I used a password extractor util.

I'm guessing you installed the latest firmware for the VR900 which specifically mentions Sky?

I recently read the review of the VR900 over at the Kitz site and it got good marks all round. It's nice that there's another option for anyone wishing to get a box to use instead of the SR102 :-)

I'd be interested to know if you are noticing any differences with regards your sync speed from the VR900 compared to what you were using before?

(P.s ... the forums are painfully slow again today - Friday 9 Oct')
      Yes latest firmware from the website and the sync speeds appear identical at the moment. The best feature in my mind of the VR900 is the ability to put a 4G dongle into it as backup in case the Fibre goes down. Working from home means thats a nice safety feature :-)

One thing that i don't like is that there seems to be no way of seeing the connection time without going into the logs :-( But that is minor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nivek1612 View Post
      Yes latest firmware from the website and the sync speeds appear identical at the moment. The best feature in my mind of the VR900 is the ability to put a 4G dongle into it as backup in case the Fibre goes down. Working from home means thats a nice safety feature :-)

One thing that i don't like is that there seems to be no way of seeing the connection time without going into the logs :-( But that is minor
      Hi. Thanks for the info. Sounds good.

Yes, things like being able to use 4G dongles etc. are nice... the price as well, compared to the other similar boxes is good too :-)

Cheers

Thanks

I'm returning the VR900

It seems to resync once or twice a day, the HG612 was rock solid for weeks
      Might be just my connection but something is not right and I can't be hassled with drops as I use Voip extensively

NathOnline26 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello I have just fitted a TP Link Archer AR900 V2 Black I've got Internet etc. Just wondering how to set up IPv6 and also haven't changed mac address where do I change that? Is it needed. I phoned sky yesterday to ask if I can use I different router as I had been complaining a while about dropping connection not connecting atall. And REALLY poor Wi-Fi. They said it was fine. I can't change provider as all fibre connections are taken up this was my only alternative. So going to have To try it out thanks.

Dont suppose any 1 is still active on hear to help. Thanks

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123