Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre

This is a discussion on TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The general downwards creep is something sky do Its nothing to do with Sky really. The Fibre lines especially are ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: TP-LINK VR900 with SKY Fibre

The general downwards creep is something sky do
      Its nothing to do with Sky really. The Fibre lines especially are managed by BTO with their version of Dynamic Line Management. This starts a line off at the highest speed possible then gradually reduces the speed until it is stable. It keeps tabs on the line and if, or when, it suffers from crosstalk as more lines are added to the cabinet it will further reduce the speed. eg, If you are an average distance from the cabinet and are one of the first to be collected you may get the full 40Mb. As the cabinet fills up your speed will gradually decrease until it reaches a level where it is stable at the fastest possible speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER or is it?
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I get that, FTTC is simple enough to grasp, but Sky still chooses (I believe) the default DLM profile applied to lines, and I'll bet you it isn't "speed", and losing 6-10Mbps is poor IMHO. If Sky wasn't so good with deal pricing (I only pay a tenner) I would look elsewhere, they should implement price per Mbps pricing (as should all of the ISPs) which would be fair given the varying speeds that occur on our outdated networks. I ignore modem sync info because I'm supposedly 35/6 but private trackers regularly give me 4750KB/s which is just over my 40Mbps I believe (not sure why). The point I was trying to make to OP was that unless the modem being used is fubar, it really makes bugger all difference which you choose and you should just choose whatever you are comfortable with. I like having router and modem separated. Also bearing in mind Sky's T&Cs in regard to all of this.

sam_skyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: TP-Link VR900 ( vdsl2 modem/router )
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

With regards the slowly dropping speeds....

I know that for almost a week after I'd gone over to Sky Fibre Pro, I was getting a solid 62 megs down and 19 up. No drop outs or other issues were noticed during the first week.

After the speeds started to drop, I just automatically thought it must have been because my line was on the 'training' period and that the speed would go down, then climb up again to a sustainable sync (I guess I was hoping for it to go back to what it had been the first week :-) ).

It would seem that the drop in speed is not necessarily part of a 'training' period and as such it would be nice to think that they'd not mess around with the line, but leave it on the maximum the line can sustain and again, going by my first week's performance, I would expect that to be about 66 megs down sync with me clocking about 62 megs on a speed test?

Speed is king ... BT/Openreach or whoever it is... please give us the max! :-)

All jesting aside, I'm still happy with the increase that Sky Fibre Pro gives, but with all the stuff available now on line and with the ever increasing demands we are making from our broadband connection, a solid fast broadband is obviously a 'must have'.

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

When I first went Pro, using the OR modem my sync was 62, then it dropped to 61, and that's where it stayed. Earlier this year they enabled G.Inp on my line and my sync went to 72; however by then was using a Draytek 2860 which is unstable to say the least. Now running the Netgear I am at 71+ and stable.

I'm quite happy but of course I would like 80 but that's not likely to happen.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      When I first went Pro, using the OR modem my sync was 62, then it dropped to 61, and that's where it stayed. Earlier this year they enabled G.Inp on my line and my sync went to 72; however by then was using a Draytek 2860 which is unstable to say the least. Now running the Netgear I am at 71+ and stable.

I'm quite happy but of course I would like 80 but that's not likely to happen.
      Interesting stuff. My sync speed is now down to about 55 (still 19 up) and it looks like it's stuck there now :-(

Ok about G.Inp ... is there any (easy) way to find out if your line has had this enabled?.... again, it's info like this that makes me wonder if I can improve on the SR102's modem (happy with my Archer C9 Wireless router) and if so, then I think I'd look at getting something else rather than the SR102? (the TP-Link VR900 looks favourite).

Thanks in advance for any info

Update: - just had a quick look around the web and according to Mr Google, the SR102 already supports G.Inp. Just guessing that the new technology has been rolled out across BT's Fibre network and would assume that mine, along with others already have the G.Inp enabled?
      Last edited by sam_skyuser; 07-10-15 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks

Unless you are on an ECI cabinet, in which case no G.Inp at present, only Huawei cabinets currently support G.Inp.

Thanks

Unless you are on an ECI cabinet, in which case no G.Inp at present, only Huawei cabinets currently support G.Inp.
      Thanks for that. The next time I go past our local cabinet, I'll have a look and see if it says what type it is.

Our area was enabled about 20 months ago now and I remember at the time checking at the BT site to see if Fibre was available in the area and I seem to remember the results also included the actual cabinet number and other info about the area being anabled. Trying to remember if it mentioned anything that indicated if it was ECI or Huawei ?... hmmmm... going to have a nose around :-)

Thanks again.

Update: (again thanks to Mr Google :-) ) ..... have found out my cabinet number served by my Exchange. It didn't tell me what type of cabinet it was but the BT Broadband checker gave estimates up to a high reading of 69 megs up / 19 down . The down reading certainly offers hope of improving on the 55 megs I'm getting at the moment? :-)
      Last edited by sam_skyuser; 07-10-15 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks

You may find this page helpful, there is a link to cab lookup on the left hand side, you can enter your postcode etc and it should give you an idea.

::. Kitz - FTTC Fibre Cabinets .::

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

coipu (07-10-15),sam_skyuser (07-10-15)

Thanks

You may find this page helpful, there is a link to cab lookup on the left hand side, you can enter your postcode etc and it should give you an idea.

::. Kitz - FTTC Fibre Cabinets .::
      Many thanks.... thats a great link! Cheeers :-)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I get that, FTTC is simple enough to grasp, but Sky still chooses (I believe) the default DLM profile applied to lines, and I'll bet you it isn't "speed"
      There are 3 profiles a line can be set to -
      Dynamic Line Management (DLM) features

- Standard best overall balance
      between speed and stability for general
      internet users
      - Stable prioritise stability over speed for
      IPTV video conferencing, home workers
      and businesses transferring data and IPTV
      - Speed prioritise speed over stability for gaming.
      From page 2 here - http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...0%20111108.pdf

I am pretty sure Sky use the first one, the third would bring them nothing but headaches.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast