Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Just moved - my DSL-AC68U experience

This is a discussion on Just moved - my DSL-AC68U experience within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just moved over to Sky fibre today. As I wanted some additional features not available on the SR102 (AC wireless, ...

sculler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just moved - my DSL-AC68U experience

Just moved over to Sky fibre today. As I wanted some additional features not available on the SR102 (AC wireless, VPN, DHCP handing out OpenDNS servers).

I've been testing things out the past week whilst still on BT infinity - ready for the move.

I had an ASUS DSL-AC68U spare - used before on ADSL, but left the BT HH5 in place when I moved to infinity. So, whilst still with BT, I replaced the HH5 with the ASUS to see if that worked as the main router/modem.

Results = it did work, but I ran into the known issues with the DSL-AC68U VDSL modem (stats showed lots of CRC errors, and interleaved). So, decision made - I would not be using the ASUS as my modem.

Next step - plugged the HH5 back in and set it up to use primarily as a modem, so I switched off wireless/DHCP. I then configured the ASUS WAN interface to use ethernet and put the WAN connection onto the same network as the HH (192.168.0/24). This worked fine.

So, this morning my BT connection goes down and I plug in the Sky hub. Plugged my mac into it to check the basics work - all okay. Next thing is to set it up in "modem-only" use - I switch off wireless/dhcp.

Plugged the ASUS into the sky hub and we're good to go. Works like a charm.

One thing I didn't do, which the guide on this site states to do (the "Setting up a Dlink DIR 613" guide) - I skipped the step on the Sky hub which adds the ASUS's IP as the "Default DMZ server". It worked without needing to do this.
      One caveat though - I do forward one TCP port to an internal client, and I had to set a rule on the Sky hub to forward that port to the ASUS's IP address (and I also have a forwarding rule to forward that port to the end device).

So far, so good. Will see how speed go over the next week or so. As a backup, I've also purchased a BT openreach modem off ebay, just in case ...

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Just moved - my DSL-AC68U experience

One thing I didn't do, which the guide on this site states to do (the "Setting up a Dlink DIR 613" guide) - I skipped the step on the Sky hub which adds the ASUS's IP as the "Default DMZ server". It worked without needing to do this.
      The reason this is suggested is that if you don't use the DMZ your requests are going through the Hub's firewall and the second routers firewall. This can lead to problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

sculler is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Just moved - my DSL-AC68U experience

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The reason this is suggested is that if you don't use the DMZ your requests are going through the Hub's firewall and the second routers firewall. This can lead to problems.
      Yes - good point. So far this hasn't caused an issue, but I'm going to start testing a VPN. Any issues and I'll try the DMZ option.