Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By homer timpson
    • 2 Post By homer timpson

New install with TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900

This is a discussion on New install with TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm finally going to get Fibre after 10 years on 3MB ADSL - the order is currently being processed. I ...

homer timpson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Johnstone
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Houston, Renfrewshire - not bleedin' Texas!!
      Thanks

New install with TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900

I'm finally going to get Fibre after 10 years on 3MB ADSL - the order is currently being processed.

I have a new vDSL faceplate and filtered phone extension out for dispatch via runitdirect.
      Having read about the SR102 wi-fi limitations, I made an impulse buy via Amazon Prime Deal of the Day and got the TP-LINK Archer C9 for 67.

I will probably install DD-WRT once I have the installation up, running and settled - first things first though!!

My current setup is a Sagem F@ST 2504 downstairs wired to Sky+HD, Bluray and XBox360 and a Devlo 500 mini Homeplug which is wired through a stud wall into the hallway.
      Upstairs are two other Devlo homeplugs feeding a Sky+HD multiroom box and a destop pc - my PC is in another bedroom on a wireless usb dongle.

I am swithering between:

A) Putting the TP-Link upstairs and connecting it to the Sky Hub via a Homeplug. (Where it will be situated will allow me to hard wire both my PC and the Sky+ box and use the other Homeplug already in use for the 2nd PC)

or

B) as my bedroom is immediately above the lounge where the new Sky hub will be - running external cat6 straight up to a new wall plate and using this to hook up the TP-Link and connecting the two PC's and Sky box as described above.

I should be able to protect the cat6 via suitable trunking and, in addition, 90% of it will be further 'protected' by being run alongside a main downpipe.

A) has its merits, as the Homeplugs have worked well for the past 2 years - hopefully they'll continue to do so with the fibre install and the TP-Link.

B) is more work - but being wired directly always has better stability.

Homer
      Scubbie likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: New install with TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900

I would go with B, but I would not bother with Cat6, Cat5e is more than sufficient. In addition Cat5e can turn through a smaller radius than Cat6 so there is less chance of damaging it, plus its a lot easier to fit your own plugs.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Tom.

Would this be overkill?

SWA (steel wire armoured) Cat5e 4 Pair Solid Cable

I would prefer a hard wired faceplate at both ends rather than trying to crimp my own plugs.

Regards

Homer

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would say so, that's really meant for underground installations. This would be more than sufficient - CAT5e Cable, Internal, 20M Length Its good quality copper supplied by a reputable firm.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You say it is to be protected by a down pipe so I'm assuming that the run is (in part at least) external so external grade Cat5e should be used. I agree with Isitme though that armoured cable in this situation is overkill.

Thanks

Yes,

The main gutter downpipe will give it additional protection from the elements if I clip it closely beside it, so decent quality external grade cat5e will be needed for the 3/4 feet that will be exposed.

Thanks for your input.

The external grade cable from runitdirect will no doubt suffice, plus they have suitable faceplates etc for terminating the cables.

Homer
      Isitme and seawright like this.