Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup

This is a discussion on Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have successfully configured my Asus RT-AC68U to work with my Sky Fibre through the Openreach modem twice now (once ...

MaccaUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup

I have successfully configured my Asus RT-AC68U to work with my Sky Fibre through the Openreach modem twice now (once at purchase and today after a factory reset) so I thought I'd post some basic instructions. It was amazingly simple.

I'll start by saying this router is brilliant. I have loaded a customised version of the Asus firmware from a programmer called AsusWRT-Merlin and have no problems with it. Loading the custom firmware is as easy as updating the router firmware from Asus themselves, it is all automatic. The router achieves good speeds, enjoys uptimes of months at a time, and has almost every option an IT pro could want (some of the really advanced ones may be available through scripting rather than GUI but I have not found a need for this yet).

This is a separate router from the Openreach modem, like the SR101 was, so you need to run both the modem and router. The Asus plugs into the same port on the Openreach modem as your Sky router does, using the same cable.

When you log into the Asus for the first time (default IP is 192.168.1.1) it will open a wizard to help you set it up. Try and get out of this wizard where possible. For me I did it by clicking through a couple of the wizard screens, then disconnected my computer and clicked Next on the current wizard screen - the page failed to load. When I connect my computer again and navigated to 192.168.1.1 it asked for credentials (user:admin - pass:admin) and then went straight into the menu main.

Once in the main menu, go into the WAN section on the left under Advanced Settings. All the settings I needed to get the connection up and running were here. Once I had got these right it took about 30 seconds to connect (you can check Internet Status says Connected by going to Network Map on the top left). I will list my settings here so you should just be able to mirror them:
      • WAN Connection Type = Automatic IP
      • Enable WAN = Yes
      • Enable NAT = Yes
      • Enable UPnP = Yes
      • UPNP: Allowed internal port range = 1024 to 65535
      • UPNP: Allowed external port range = 1 to 65535
      • Connect to DNS Server automatically = Yes
      • MTU = 1500
      • Authentication* = None
      • Host Name =
      • MAC Address =
      • DHCP query frequency = Aggressive Mode
      • Manual clientid (for some ISPs) = 7c4xxxxxxxxx@skydsl|77xxxxxx (this is the the Sky username and password captured from your SR101/102 using Wireshark - see other links on this forum for instructions on obtaining it).

That was it. I applied these settings then waited what felt like a life time but was probably 30 seconds and the connection came up. You can then make any other changes you want such as SSID names, wireless keys, or IP addressing. But to get the connection up I just applied the above to the default setup and it worked.

Good luck

[MaccA]

Update: I should add that a lot of these settings above are the defaults. They may be changeable without affecting your connection but I haven't needed to yet and the above definitely works for me.
      Last edited by MaccaUK; 21-07-15 at 03:18 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaccaUK For This Useful Post:

aciidsn3ak3r (08-08-15),fibre11 (15-12-15)

3. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup

This is becoming a very popular router so I think this is worth 'sticking' for the benefit of other members.
      Stuck.

To make it easier for Fibre users to find, I have moved this to the Fibre section.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

MaccaUK (21-07-15)

Podestas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wideopen
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No a bad spec but a little pricey wouldn't you say.

Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router

• The world's fastest Wi-Fi router, with combined dual-band data rates of
        1900 Mbps for three times faster performance than 802.11n routers
      • Broadcom® TurboQAM™ technology increases wireless-N data rate to
        600 Mbps for 33% faster performance
      • Five Gigabit Ethernet ports for fast, stable wired network connections
      • Dual USB ports with USB 3.0 for ten times faster data transfer than USB 2.0
      • Dual-core processor for fast and responsive performance with Wi-Fi, Ethernet and USB devices
      • ASUS AiCloud cloud service to access, sync, share, and stream your data wherever you are, even connect to other compatible routers creating a private cloud server with family and friends
      • Pros

• Benchmark wireless performance
        • Class leading USB speeds
        • Intuitive CD-less setup
        • Remote media streaming
        • Very well built
        • Key Features: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi; Dual core 800MHz CPU, 256MB DDR3 RAM; 1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0; WPA/WPA2 and WPS security; 4x Gigabit Ethernet Manufacturer: Asus

average price £130

Cons

• No Cloud-based access to settings
        • Aggressive look may alienate some
        • Inevitable price premium

Thanks

It is a pricey router, but that is what you have to pay to get all these features. If you don't want 11ac then there are probably cheaper options, but I didn't find any. And the support for WRT makes this very flexible.

I don't know what you mean by 'No Cloud-based access to settings' but you can access the admin console remotely, and it has AICloud 2.0 for remote access to your files. Also, using the Asus Merlin WRT you can do pretty much anything with this router, due to custom scripting.

I'm very happy with it and the price I paid.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

It's £129.99 now - it was £189.99 when I was looking to buy a router a long while back, I ended up with an RT-N66U and kinda regret not buying the AC68U in the first place because I'd have AC wireless now!

aciidsn3ak3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYCSG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Asus RT-AC66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

i got the AC-66U and it was the best investment I have made for my network. Wireless is so much quicker. Pretty much on par with wired!

Fodenman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beulah
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aciidsn3ak3r View Post
      i got the AC-66U and it was the best investment I have made for my network. Wireless is so much quicker. Pretty much on par with wired!
      Hi guy's
      I'm a new member on Sky Fibre Pro and wanted to ask what your wireless/hardwire speeds were like in relation to your package after connecting the RT-AC68U through your openreach modem, I recently bought an Asus DSL N66U which was quite easy to set up connecting directly from the phone line using the built in modem, but found my wireless speed dropped from 66mpbs to 30mpbs and 70-72mpbs to 25-30mpbs I don't think the modem was up to the job (also I should add I managed to get the wireless speed by adding an 300mpbs AP and plugging it into SR101 which as we all know maxi's out at 40mpbs wirelessly) just to check I reconnected to the SR101 and the speeds came back, I contacted Asus Tech and they told me how to make a few changes to the settings but it didn't make any diffrence and they basically gave up, by there own admission through lack of Sky Fibre knowledge/settings etc. fortunately I still had time to return it for a refund which I did. I liked the router quality/build software etc So I was looking for a replacement that I could connect to my BT openreach modem and spotted the RT-AC68U and from the reviews on here it sounds just the job, as I am sure you understand I don't want to make the same mistake again so thought I'd ask you guy's what experiences you've had with regard's to your internet speeds before jumping in.

I would like to thank you in advance for any help or info you can give me.

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

2.4ghz will be flaky its the nature of it.

5ghz will be much faster especially on AC.

So I dont know how to answer your question as it depends on what clients you have.

My ps4 is connected via 2.4 wireless, is pretty slow, which is within my expectations. Phones and laptop + amazon firetv box on 5ghz, and they are fast, can download at line speed circa 60-70mbit. My laptop can reach 300-400mbit on lan transfers over wireless, using a BT AC dongle.

Also the asus dsl modems are not very good, some of your issues may have been down to sync speed issues.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chrcol For This Useful Post:

Fodenman (15-08-15)

Fodenman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beulah
      Thanks

Hi Chrcol,

I haven't got anything special 2 sky+ HD boxes which are hardwired so there's only 2 tablet's and 3 Media boxes which I use for streaming TV etc, there was one other thing I meant to ask in my original post and that was what the wireless range was like, the SR101 is ok if your sitting on top of it. Are the AC dongles expensive I'll probably get one for my laptop.

thanks for replying

Thanks

Measuring download speed over wireless should have no reflection on your modem. You need to measure download speeds when connected to the router via an ethernet cable to understand how the modem is performing.

Wireless has so many variables: the client radio, the frequency, the number of obstructions between you and the transmitter, the material those obstructions are made of, the number of neighbours wireless networks, the power of those neighbour wireless networks, the number of clients on neighbours wireless networks...

It is pointless me telling you what speeds I get from my AC68U wireless because of all the above variables. The fact you get better speeds from the SR101 than a third party router is the important part (and surprising) as this does reflect that the 3rd party device is inferior. That should be your benchmark, you need the new device to provide as good or better speeds than your SR101 does (in the same location at the same time of day).

I can't believe the that the AC68U would be slower than the SR101 given the superior hardware and antenna's it has. Don't be fooled that 11ac will make the difference, my devices never connect at the speeds offered by 11ac because so many things have to fall into place for 11ac to work.

Range wise I am happy. I have a long thin house with lots of brick walls in it (not stud partition walls). The AC68U located in the middle of it. It covers every room in the house easily as well as over 15 meters out the sides of my house.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast