Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup

This is a discussion on Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; thanks for this post, finally ditched the sagem router as the wifi was very bad and going stale multiple times ...

frazered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockton Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup

thanks for this post, finally ditched the sagem router as the wifi was very bad and going stale multiple times a day. this asus kit quicker and easy to set up and seems rock solid so far

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Adding entware and a usb key also gives some excellent control over Iptables etc... excellent for making all your home networked Win 10 PCs privacy proof(well mostly) and blocking any other troublesome IPs. This thing used to fall over all the time regardless of DDWRT version, Merlin's lates beta has been rock solid for me for weeks now.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

It's amazing what lengths the hobbyist network administrator has to go to - to keep Windows 10 at bay.

There are better alternatives out there you know

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EADER
      Router: Hacked ECI Modem/pFsense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Yep, if I wasn't such a gamer I would have transferred years ago. This is the final straw in my book, if people don't start dropping Windows now, they never will. I can't believe people are happy with every keystroke being recorded.

Ewol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It actually was the final straw for me. I'm also a gamer, but I decided to sacrifice that part of my life (or at the very least severely limit it) than have my every action logged and stored. I don't regret my decision, but I do find myself not having as much to do.

Taz_Overlord is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I've created this account just to comment on this.

My Asus RT-AC68U arrived today. Aa a joke, I simply plugged it into the LAN1 port on the back of the SR102. Logging into the router, it prompted me to download and update the latest firmware. I thought it was a bit odd because clearly it was seeing the Internet.

It's all literally worked out of the box just 'bridging' the SR102 into the AC68U. I even turned off the WAP on the Sky Hub.

I connected everything to the Asus WiFi network and router with all the wireless N running at 2.4 GHz and the wireless AC hogging the 5 GHz / 80 Hz bandwidth. That's three Android smart phones, one Google Nexus 7 tablet, one Asus mini laptop, Samsung smart TV, that Sky wireless dongle thingy for catch-up/In demand, and a hard wired PC. All the speed tests came through near the 40 Mbps on the modem up link.

And I'm sitting here in bed able to access and control both the SR102 AND AC68U from my phone.

I was prepared for war and fully capable of flashing new firmware and setting up a DMZ to sit the router in. But it wasn't needed.

Something has changed, for the better. I'm generally not a lucky person. But truly delighted with the new Router. The signal strength is noticeably stronger (using WiFi Analyser here on the phone). . And I'm not getting the WiFi drops every 10 minutes on the phones or tablet. Joy!

P.S. Loving W10.(:

aciidsn3ak3r is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYCSG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: Asus RT-AC66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Overlord View Post
      I've created this account just to comment on this.

My Asus RT-AC68U arrived today. Aa a joke, I simply plugged it into the LAN1 port on the back of the SR102. Logging into the router, it prompted me to download and update the latest firmware. I thought it was a bit odd because clearly it was seeing the Internet.

It's all literally worked out of the box just 'bridging' the SR102 into the AC68U. I even turned off the WAP on the Sky Hub.

I connected everything to the Asus WiFi network and router with all the wireless N running at 2.4 GHz and the wireless AC hogging the 5 GHz / 80 Hz bandwidth. That's three Android smart phones, one Google Nexus 7 tablet, one Asus mini laptop, Samsung smart TV, that Sky wireless dongle thingy for catch-up/In demand, and a hard wired PC. All the speed tests came through near the 40 Mbps on the modem up link.

And I'm sitting here in bed able to access and control both the SR102 AND AC68U from my phone.

I was prepared for war and fully capable of flashing new firmware and setting up a DMZ to sit the router in. But it wasn't needed.

Something has changed, for the better. I'm generally not a lucky person. But truly delighted with the new Router. The signal strength is noticeably stronger (using WiFi Analyser here on the phone). . And I'm not getting the WiFi drops every 10 minutes on the phones or tablet. Joy!

P.S. Loving W10.(:
      This worked "out of the box" because your still using the SR102 modem.
      This thread is for people wanting to do away with the Sky supplied modem/router and use an Openreach modem instead.

The Openreach modems are, funnily enough Openreach supplied and generally better kit.

I would recommend getting an Openreach modem and doing away with your SR102.
      I did and wouldn't look back.

Taz_Overlord is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aciidsn3ak3r View Post
      This worked "out of the box" because your still using the SR102 modem.
      This thread is for people wanting to do away with the Sky supplied modem/router and use an Openreach modem instead.

The Openreach modems are, funnily enough Openreach supplied and generally better kit.

I would recommend getting an Openreach modem and doing away with your SR102.
      I did and wouldn't look back.
      Cheers for that. I had read that daisy chaining another router to the hub would not work and that disabling the WAN on the HUB would make the Sky+ go mental. But so far so good.

I might explore the Openreach modem suggestion, once I determine which hardware my exchange is using. But it's not urgent as I was thinking it would be. Panic over.

I'm now very tempted by the EA-AC87 so I can use an Ethernet plug on the Samsung telly (horrible WiFi reception), Sky HD Box and Playstation.

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

dont over pay for a hg612 on ebay tho, a billion 8800nl is an alternative uses a slightly newer broadcom chipset and can be put in bridge mode it costs about 55. I wouldnt pay more than 25 at the most for a hg612.

Xion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB
      Thanks

Hey all, first post! We are moving to a new house, which we already have the keys for and setting up before we move in and having the phone/fibre broadband sorted on Monday. We're moving to Sky for the first time for fibre broadband and the phone line, it was only after we ordered that I read up on all the issues with the terrible Sky Hub 2.1 box we were sent through the post. I currently use an ASUS RT-N66U with the White BT OpenReach modem. Think I'll end up getting the AC68U now!! I don't understand why Sky are so backwards....its 2015 for gods sake, where WiFi devices / streaming is pretty big in most homes...

By the way, what are the engineers like when you mention about the Sky Hub and ask if it can be replaced? When the BT guy came to setup our current fibre broadband he straight away said to ditch the default router and just said to get a replacement one with the WAN port that was needed haha. Great thread by the way, thanks a lot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast