Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup

This is a discussion on Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi MakkaUK, Thanks for use responce and comments, I appreciate what your saying about the wireless speeds there are so ...

Fodenman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beulah
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Asus RT-AC68U & Sky Fibre setup

Hi MakkaUK,
      Thanks for use responce and comments,
      I appreciate what your saying about the wireless speeds there are so many factors to take in to account when looking at this but I think you have missed the point, my hardwired speed also dropped by about 50% as I said in my post, which led me to the conclusion that the Asus modem wasn't up to the job, when I went back to the openreach modem the speeds came back immediately, now not being very techie Sky may have some settings back at the exchange that made the difference between the openreach and third party modem I don't know.
      Originally the point of buying a new router was to extend my wireless range as the SR101 range is rubbish and it will only go wirelessly to 40mpbs max, I chose the Asus N66U because I had read on a few forums it could be set up on Sky Fibre Pro and that it had a really good wireless range and just like you I was surprised at the speeds I got, as I liked the build quality I thought I would try another Asus with out a built in modem and although more expensive I decided on the AC68U, at the moment I don't have anything that's AC enabled but it's future proofed (and I can always buy a dongle for my laptop) and from what you have said It appears it has a good wireless range, all I was looking for in the speed range from any members who have this router is confirmation that they were getting roughly the same speeds wirelessly/hardwired from the new AS68U that they were getting from there old Sky router not ther exact speed and if there was an increase in speed that would be a bonus. So how do your speeds compere now with the AC68U against the SR102.
      I don't really want to buy another router to be disappointed and have to return it.

once again thanks for replying

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Are the AC dongles expensive I'll probably get one for my laptop.
      From about a tenner http://www.amazon.co.uk/ESYNiC-11AC-...53145-2584269?

To a lot of tenners - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Dual...etwork+adapter

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

MaccaUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Ok, I did misunderstand your request.

From my understanding, the BT street cabinet that you connect to will be one of two chipsets. BT will have provided you with an Openreach modem with the same chipset manufacturer so that they work well together. If you do not match the chipsets then you will not get the best performance from the modem. I suggest this is what happened with the N66U modem.

That is one of the reasons I decided to stay with a two piece solution (Openreach modem + AC68U router). Also, it means I can make as many changes to the router as I like and reboot the heck out of it without the exchange kicking in the DSLAM which lowers your speed in order to make your line stable (I think that is the correct terminology). If the exchange sees your modem connecting a lot it will assume an unstable line and lower speeds in order to increase reliability.

I am not on Fibre pro, so I am limited to 40mbps down. I have just run a Speedtest on my Win 7 laptop that is hardwired to my AC68U and got this: Down 30mbps, Up 4.3mbps, Ping 38ms. I also just ran the same test using the Speedtest app on my iPhone 6 which is sat 3 feet from my AC68U and got this: Down 21.5mbps, Up 4.4mbps, Ping 43ms. I was running internet radio on my laptop (as well as email, Chrome, etc) during both tests.

Fodenman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Beulah
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Ah I understand now, I have seen posts where people were talking about ECI modems and Huawei modems and router chips, it makes sense now, you may be right I have a Hauwei modem so that may have been the problem, the speeds your getting are not bad also it depends on how far you live from the exchange I'm lucky I live less than a mile from mine that's why my speed is so good, I sit about 15ft away from my router so my laptop wireless is good but in my bedroom I have a sky HD box which takes most of the night to download a programme on catchup and a android M8 media box that I stream from and the buffering when you try to watch something drives me mad, I would hard wire it but as all the furniture is fitted it's not really feasible to start pulling up floor boards etc.I just did a speedtest.net check on my laptop in the dining room and got 62.5 down 18 up on my samsung galaxy S3 phone 27.24 down 12.23 up but if I go to my bedroom it's only 0.35 up and barely registers down all wireless on my Android media box. I think I am going to get thev AC68U and give it a go I will post some results when I have it all set up.

Thanks

Regarding the Sky On Demand speeds, I had issues when I changed to the SR102. It did NOT improve when I got the AC68U. See this thread for the details of my challenges there - SR102 causing slow On Demand?.

My iPhone and iPad were achieving download speeds of 20mbps in the same room as the Sky box, so I know it was not a wireless bandwidth issue in that room.

nl74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: strood
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

Really useful guide, thanks.

Out of interest did you reset the NVRAM after you installed the firmware. I just got a new AC68U working on my sky fibre but there was no option to reset this. Seems to be working ok though.

Thanks

I have never reset the NVRAM on my AC68U, no.

wormy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: mytholmroyd
      Router: asus ac68u
      Thanks

i have the asus ac68u connected on sky fibre on its own

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
      i have the asus ac68u connected on sky fibre on its own
      Then you are using a DSL-AC68 not an RT-AC68. The RT does not have a modem.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
      --------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Wormy, perhaps you would like to add instructions for the DSL-AC68U for anyone who decides to go with that version. I was tempted but decided I wanted a two piece solution so that I can mess when the router without risking my sync speeds.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast