Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Fibre - Netgear R8000 Nighthawk Setup and Sky Hub SR101

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre - Netgear R8000 Nighthawk Setup and Sky Hub SR101 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i am new to this forum. I bought a nighthawk r8000 and have tried to connect It to the ...

Sok786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Fibre - Netgear R8000 Nighthawk Setup and Sky Hub SR101

Hi

i am new to this forum. I bought a nighthawk r8000 and have tried to connect It to the broadband, but with little joy. I have obtained the sky log in and password via Internet , but when I connect the bt open reach modem to the router , it does not show any internet connection.

tried netgear support but they were of no use

appreciate any assistance and an idiots guide is even more appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,205 Times in 2,074 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre - Netgear R8000 Nighthawk Setup and Sky Hub SR101

I do not believe that Netgear have yet added support for Opt.#61 in their standard firmware, so sadly it won't natively connect to Sky's servers on its own.

You do have the following choices though:

• Connect the R8000 via the Eithernet WAN port to the SR101 and configure the SR101 so that the Netgear is in the SR101's DMZ server settings
      • Download and install a suitable custom firmware such as Tomato, OpenWRT or DD-WRT
      • Get a different router that is known to work with Sky's servers

Netgear have previously been asked to provide support for Sky's Fibre system. They can't be bothered. Other manufacturer's have stepped up and do provide the required support.

Of course it would be better if Sky would change their current policy and provide official guidance & allow people to use a non-Sky routers on their fibre based network. This is being chased but they are very slow to change this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks

Again- appols for the newbie questions

Of the first two options which allows me to use the routers functionalities best please?

option 1 - how do I do that please? I guess what this will do is show the router as an extension of sr101 ?

option 2 I guess I just connect the router to a pc and copy the firmware onto the router? Are the firmware easy to locate? Which one would you recommend? I will try to find somewhere on Internet to download it from

thanks in advance

Thanks

Ok, for the first one, which is by far the easiest, follow the guide in the thread linked below:

Using the DLink DIR613.

It is how I've currently got my own set up with a WNDR3800 and it works Ok. If someone is connected to the SR101 by say Ethernet (the WiFI on mine is switched off) they will only see that my router is connected, but won't have access to anything else unless they refer to the router's IP Address & use the correct port number. My WNDR3800 runs my home network, passing the Internet traffic through the SR101.

Check out the respective sites and forums for Tomato, OpenWRT and DD-WRT to see first if there is a custom firmware for your router. There may not be and I dubt that the firmware will be anything as comprehensive as the one from Netgear. The instructions for installing the custom firmware will be on those sites. Be VERY careful though. Whilst there are tools available to help return the router to 'normal' should you not like the custom firmwares, its not easy.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks very much. Will try that

as a separate - are any of the tri band routers in the market compatible with the sky broadband?

Thanks

This is the first I've seen.

There are a number of good routers that support 1.3gbps on the 5GHz band which work, but currently most people can't truly benefit from such a connection.

Personally I think that it also opens up a major issue that might be worth discussing elsewhere on the forum. The whole point of encouraging people to use the 5GHz band is because the 2.4GHz band is too busy in some areas and speeds are affected with both slow devices sharing it and other people streaming content.

If everyone had two blocks covering the 5GHz band, then there would be far fewer gaps than there is available on the 2.4GHz band, defeating the whole point of using it in the first place.

This is just my personal opinion.

Gaunty51 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham
      Router: NetGear Nighthawk 8000
      Thanks

Really easy with the r8000. In advanced settings it gives the option of being an AP (Access Point). Simply connect the two routers using a LAN cable, the yellow one. Then click on AP in the settings in the admin console/genie and it will configure itself. Should take no longer than a few minutes.