Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changing over to Sky Fibre unlimited - but now have concerns ..

This is a discussion on Changing over to Sky Fibre unlimited - but now have concerns .. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I'm a little concerned about the very poor reviews & reports about this Sky router - is it really ...

swayzak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Changing over to Sky Fibre unlimited - but now have concerns ..

Hi

I'm a little concerned about the very poor reviews & reports about this Sky router - is it really that bad ?

Will I notice a deterioration network / wifi quality (compared to basic broadband via O2 Thomson router) ? My wireless home music system (Squeezebox) is utterly dependant on a stable wifi network with sufficient coverage (several players across the house)..

I use a a home plug to extend the wired network, which works well. Presumably this will work OK with the Sky router ? I have tried extending wifi network with the homeplug (same SSID & password, different channel) but Squeezebox ecosystem didn't like it, so I only use it extend wired network.

Can I make changes in the SR102 router e.g. SSID name, channel number etc. ? Can I easily fix IP addresses for my Squeezebox devices & laptop running the music server ?

I could do all of this stuff (and more) with the old O2 router but am getting the impression the Skyhub is "locked down" from the user ...

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Changing over to Sky Fibre unlimited - but now have concerns ..

Would it be possible to still use the Thomson router with it connected to the Sky Hub?

swayzak is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dnpark38 View Post
      Would it be possible to still use the Thomson router with it connected to the Sky Hub?

How would I do this ?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Check out this thread:
      How to connect two Routers together

offbeatdave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Was it the Thomson TG582N which loads of ISPs (e.g. Plusnet) provided? If it is, then my experience (of my parents' routers) is that the current Sky router has better wifi range and speed is as good or better.

Adding IP addresses for devices is simple - it's just a case of adding them by MAC address. I did this before the service went live by hooking it up to my laptop with a cable. I shall be doing the same for my 41 devices when my own switch to Sky Fibre goes through in a week or so. SSID, channel etc. for wireless are easy to change. Again, I did this beforehand and some wireless devices even hooked straight back up as I used the same name. Some needed the 'old' network forgetting and re-adding.

The firmware seems to be a version of Netgear's - the options and wording on the various advanced pages is identical. Really the only bit locked down is the username and password, locking it to using it for Sky Fibre only.