Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New to sky fibres

This is a discussion on New to sky fibres within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am about to get sky fibre unlimited, I was wondering what the router is like. I have just had ...

waspsoton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cosham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus dsl-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New to sky fibres

I am about to get sky fibre unlimited, I was wondering what the router is like. I have just had the hub 5 which wasn't great. I run a plex server in the house so hoping the wireless signal is good. If it isn't what is the best router I can get??

thanks

lee

2. Advertisement
      dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: New to sky fibres

Ordinary household use here and have read of people being concerned with Sky wireless connection but I have had no problems here.

theoddbot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: RT-AC68U
      Thanks

I found the speeds from the hub to be very slow and flaky, I could never achieve anything above 20Mbps download on wireless.

I'm currently running the Asus RT-AC68U without any problems with speed, wireless is fantastic and I get speeds of about 77Mbps on wireless

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

@waspsoton: Compared to other ISPs, the Sky hub is rather poor. It does a decent job for the most part, but a lack of decent wireless capability seems to be where a lot of the complaint are. The hub is Wireless 'N', but tops out at 144Mbps if paired with a suitable device but is often 72Mbps. This obviously translates in to a lower throughput speed. It also lacks gigabit ports which are pretty standard nowadays.

That being said, I've found by SR101 to be stable enough and generally perform OK. I do have a second router that's used to extend the wireless coverage.

As theoddbot suggested, the Asus seems to be a popular router that's got lots of grunt. Believe others use Netgear nighthawk routers. Check some of the posts on the forum. Officially, you are not allowed to connect a 3rd party router directly to Sky's fibre service, although many on this forum have. Others use the SR101/SR102 to connect to the service, but connect in their own router for wi-fi etc.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have the SR101 on Sky Fibre (with separate BTOR modem for vDSL). I found the wireless reach to be quite poor at the upstairs rear of the house. Eventually turned off SR101's wifi and replaced it with an Apple Airport Express unit (which is also concurrent dual band 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz wifi) and found much improved coverage in the black spots.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Right ok looks like I shall be buying a new router. Can I just buy any router and use the sky one as my modem?? I don't really want to spend loads and looking at the asus ac68u that's a bit out of my price range. I really just need a router with gigabyte and a good wireless signal. Thanks for the help

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

According to Sky's T&Cs you shouldn't use any other router, but if you take a look around this forum you'll soon find that people tend to ignore that.

The current choices are:

1. to use a suitable router with a VDSL Modem
      2. use a BTO Modem and suitable Cable router of your choice
      3. use the Sky SR102 to 'dial' the connection and log in, and use any Cable router

By a "suitable" router I specifically mean one that supports Opt.#61 which Sky uses to pass on the login details to their servers. A few routers now support this, but not all. If you are into Custom Firmwares, then these do allow this option.

The third option is explained in more detail here: Using the DLink DIR613.

There are a few threads to help you with capturing the log in details from your Sky router. There are also a few threads for different custom firmwares and routers to help you to set them up to work on Sky's Fibre Broadband products.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I will Prob go and just get a router and use the sky one as a modem for now