Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Saraya

BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check

This is a discussion on BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check - ISPreview UK Consumers wanting to know whether or not ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check

BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check - ISPreview UK
      Consumers wanting to know whether or not they are covered by and can receive a superfast broadband connection using BTOpenreach’s ‘up to’ 80Mbps Fibre-to-the-Cabinet (FTTC) technology will, from today, now be given a more useful result after the national UK telecoms operator updates their availability test to include Street Cabinet status.

At present, if a postcode is entered into Openreach’s Checker, all the results come back at an exchange level. As a result of this an entire exchange area is listed as ‘Accepting Orders’ once the first cabinet served by the hybrid-fibre providing exchange is enabled to take fibre orders.

However this system, which worked fine for older ADSL based broadband lines that ran from the exchange, can be potentially misleading for those seeking to find out whether or not FTTC is available. This is because FTTC lines reflect actual coverage from the local Street Cabinet and not BT’s Telephone Exchange (e.g. it might claim you can get FTTC but if only 1 out of say 50 cabinets have been upgraded then you probably can’t).

But, effective from later today, Openreach will update their “fibre availability map” on the superfast website to show cabinet level results where an exchange area is enabled. This will give users a more accurate view of the current status of the cabinet which serves their property. Depending upon the status, the user will then be advised that their cab falls into one of the eight following categories:

Availability Categories

• Accepting orders: Great news. Superfast Fibre is in your area and your cabinet is enabled and accepting orders. Contact your preferred communications provider for your home or business to order.
      • Enabled area: Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but your cabinet is not ready yet so you can’t place an order today. It is in our plans to be upgraded and we update this info weekly, so please check back later.
      • High demand: Your area is enabled for Superfast Fibre but demand is high on your cabinet right now. This means you can’t order Superfast Fibre today but we’re working to increase capacity as soon as possible. Click here to find out more.
      • Under review: We’re in your area but we’re still assessing whether or not we can upgrade your cabinet. This means you can’t order Superfast Fibre. Click here to find out more.
      • ?: Superfast Fibre is in your area but we can’t tell by your postcode if you can get it right now. Please contact your communications provider, who can check using your phone number. Check out our FAQ for more information.
      • Coming soon: Your area will be enabled within the next six months and we’ll provide more details nearer the time. At the moment you can’t order Superfast Fibre.
      • Planned area: Your area is in our future plans and should be enabled within the next 18 months. We’ll provide more details nearer the time. At the moment you can’t order Superfast Fibre.
      • Exploring Solutions: We’re keen to bring Superfast Fibre to your area and are exploring how best to achieve that. We may deliver it as part of our commercial programme, or by working in partnership with your local authority. At the moment you can’t order Superfast Fibre. For more information visit the FAQ section.

Openreach sees this as being one of the ways in which they can help to address the on-going calls for more coverage information to be release as part of the Government’s Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) programme, although it remains to be seen whether the extra data will be enough to silence the operators critics (it would have been nice had they done this right from the start).

NOTE: The new service is currently beta and doesn’t really add much in terms of new details, it should just be more reflective given the use of cabinet-based coverage.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: BT Openreach Launch UK Street Cabinet Level FTTC Broadband Check

I get a grey "NC" pin Name:  pin-nc.png
Views: 3557
Size:  4.1 KB which isn't listed in the map key.

Thanks

Wasn't that 'Not Currently in any plan'?

That's rather annoying as I got 'UR' (nder review) for another property near you.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSOAK
      Broadband ISP: NowTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NowTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

I've got 'EA' but I know I won't get it as I live on an unadopted road so no one will do anything (not that Virgin know this as I keep getting junk mail saying I can get fibre)!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

seawright is online now Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Wasn't that 'Not Currently in any plan'?

That's rather annoying as I got 'UR' (nder review) for another property near you.
      Just tried it again and it's now coming up as 'UR' so I guess that Openreach are still fine tuning the site.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      I've got 'EA' but I know I won't get it as I live on an unadopted road so no one will do anything (not that Virgin know this as I keep getting junk mail saying I can get fibre)!
      Living on an unadopted road wouldn't stop you getting gas, water or electricity so why should it stop you getting FTTC?

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I was getting nothing until I accepted the 'cookies'. Works for my current address, but as I have FTTC, I know I can get it!

Tried it on my old address and it stated that it did not recognise any residences or businesses for that postcode. Looks like my old place won't be getting fibre for a while

Thanks

I've just checked an address I happen to know is on an unadopted road and it can get FTTC, so there should be no reason why your old address can't.

Do remember that with FTTC there is no unusual work required for the copper telephone cable. So long as BTO can install a suitable Fibre cabinet near to the existing BTO green street cabinet, then there should be no issues.

Obviously there would be a different issue for BTO's FTTP, VM and what Sky or City Fibre might wish to do, but they aren't the topic of conversation here.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Saraya is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

This site is so far quite inaccurate. Nic Elliot writes a nice article here talking about it : https://evolving.net.uk/openreachs-f...t-needs-to-be/
      Scubbie likes this.