Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Fibre - Netgear R7000 Nighthawk Setup and Sky Hub SR102

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre - Netgear R7000 Nighthawk Setup and Sky Hub SR102 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So gents (and ladies), I'm upgrading from Sky Broadband (4Mbps/1Mbps) to Sky Fibre (40Mbps/10Mbps) next week However, I want to ...

SHawking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Fibre - Netgear R7000 Nighthawk Setup and Sky Hub SR102

So gents (and ladies), I'm upgrading from Sky Broadband (4Mbps/1Mbps) to Sky Fibre (40Mbps/10Mbps) next week

However, I want to set-up my own router which has a great QoS system in place (the Sky Hub SR102 has no such QoS features sadly), as my household consists of gamers and video-streamers, who are usually at each others throats about 'hogging' the internet bandwidth.

Having read the forums for the past day (seriously I think for at least 6-8 hours in total ha!), I'm a bit confused as to whether I can use my own router or not. I know how to extract my username and password from the Sky Hub SR102, but I wanted to know if I can use the set-up below, or if I need to also buy a separate Modem/Openreach Modem? Or unfortunately, does my set-up mean I can't use anything but the blasted Sky Hub SR102?

Here are the details:

Sky Router: Sky have sent me the (Black) SR102 Sky Hub in the post.
      My Own Router: The Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. I believe this router also has DD-WRT support.
      BT/Master Socket Faceplate: Type 5 (SSFP Infinity). Here is a picture - What type of master socket have I got? | Help | BT.com Help. I also have fibre to the cabinet, and then copper from the cabinet to the house.

At the moment, Sky have said that no engineer visit is required to my home and that I only have to wait until my activation date to get fibre.

Any help would be much appreciated, and I would of course be happy to provide any other details needed; thanks
      Last edited by SHawking; 01-08-14 at 06:12 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre - Netgear R7000 Nighthawk Setup and Sky Hub SR102

You have 2 options, either piggy back the Netgear on to the Sky Hub using one of these methods How to connect two Routers together or Using the DLink DIR613. The former requires you to connect to an ethernet port on the Netgear and the latter to the WAN or internet port.

Your second option is to buy a BTO modem and connect the Netgear directly to it. To do this you would need to ensure the router can be flashed with OpenWRT. In this case you would need the username and password from the Hub to put into the Netgear.

If you have a Type 5 NTE5 vDSL master socket your are lucky and should have no problems, provided it is properly fitted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks so much for the reply IsItMe

I was thinking about piggy-backing the Netgear router to the Sky Hub SR102 (I believe in previous threads it was referred to as DMZ?), but wanted to know;

- Will this slow down my download/upload speed, or reduce my ping in any way? I'm mainly a gamer, so low ping is my main objective.
      - I'm looking to use the advanced QoS features on the Netgear, so will DMZ allow me to do this? I believe I can port-forward, which was my only other concern.

If piggy-backing doesn't cause any reduction in speed/ping etc, then I might as well do this, as it saves me about 30 (as I don't have to buy a BTO modem). Are there any advantages of the BTO to Netgear set-up, over say the Sky Hub SR102 to Netgear setup?

Thanks again for your reply and knowledge mate; it's honestly very much appreciated!

Thanks

You would use the DMZ and get use of the full facilities of the router if you use this method Using the DLink DIR613. If you use the other method you do not use the DMZ, as the router would then be unprotected. The main advantage of using a BTO modem is that you will not have any problems with double NAT. Using the DMZ method you may get double NAT problems with some applications, some VPN clients and other apps will complain. It can also be difficult to access any servers behind the second router. The difference in latency will be minimal will either method.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, thanks for the explanation mate.

I've decided to go forward with the BTO modem method (as it seems the simplest and prevents issues like double NAT etc), and have just ordered one; I've also successfully extracted my username and password from the SR102 (great resource this site!).

The only issue/concern I have now is with regards to the router I wish to use. It's the Netgear N7000, and it has DD-WRT firmware; please Downloads: MyOpenRouter. I'm just wondering, will this mean I am good to go as far as setting up my Sky broadband (since I have my username and password, and a BTO modem on the way)?

Also, I get my fibre itself activated on Thursday; do you suggest I set-up everything before my activation date (i.e. tomorrow or Wednesday), or should I wait until after I'm activated? I'm a bit hesitant in doing the latter, as I know the DLM test will be on-going at this point, and I've read that having your router down/switched-off can mean lower speeds as the DLM test thinks your line cannot handle the speed etc.

Thanks again for the help and for those reading (in the same and/or similar situation), I plan on making a YouTube video/guide for this site, on how I set everything up with a Netgear router. This site (and users like 'Isitme' above) have been an invaluable help, so I'd love to pass along the assistance

SHawking01 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear R7000 + BTO Modem
      Thanks

[Ignore].

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK, thanks for the explanation mate.

I've decided to go forward with the BTO modem method (as it seems the simplest and prevents issues like double NAT etc), and have just ordered one; I've also successfully extracted my username and password from the SR102 (great resource this site!).

The only issue/concern I have now is with regards to the router I wish to use. It's the Netgear R7000, and it has DD-WRT firmware (it's not allowing me to a post a direct link to the firmware page, but a quick Google search will show the DD-WRT firmware that has been developed for it). I'm just wondering, will this mean I am good to go as far as setting up my Sky broadband (since I have my username and password, and a BTO modem on the way)? I don't know if the R7000 has the 'right' kind of DD-WRT firmware, as I haven't seen anything about being able to connect through a MER protocol; however, this could just be because I'm incredibly ignorant on the topic.

Also, I get my fibre itself activated on Thursday; do you suggest I set-up everything before my activation date (i.e. today or Wednesday), or should I wait until after I'm activated? I'm a bit hesitant in doing the latter, as I know the DLM test will be on-going at this point, and I've read that having your router down/switched-off can mean lower speeds as the DLM test thinks your line cannot handle the speed etc.

Thanks again for the help and for those reading (in the same and/or similar situation), I plan on making a YouTube video/guide for this site, on how I set everything up with a Netgear router. This site (and users like 'Isitme' above) have been an invaluable help, so I'd love to pass along the assistance

Thanks

I haven't seen anything about being able to connect through a MER protocol; however, this could just be because I'm incredibly
      The MER thing is a bit of a red herring, Sky use it incorrectly to describe the protocol they use. The main thing is that the router should be able to support Option 61, which as far as I know, all flavours of DD-WRT do.

I'm a bit hesitant in doing the latter, as I know the DLM test will be on-going at this point, and I've read that having your router down/switched-off can mean lower speeds as the DLM test thinks your line cannot handle the speed etc.
      If you are using a BTO modem there is nothing to worry about in that respect as the DLM stops at the Modem. You can do what you like with the router, it will have no effect. If you were using the SR102, too much rebooting is not advised, as the modem and router facilities are combined, rebooting the router automatically reboots the modem, which can effect DLM.

TomD

Useful Utilites

sid247 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: SR102
      Thanks

Hi....i'm new to the forum and joined as i have the same dilemma as above.

Currently i have the SKY SR102 and the Netgear R7000 set up in the DMZ as i prefer the functions of the R7000. The issues i am getting are double NAT, unable to view my CCTV/IP camera's, OwnCloud, Servers, etc as the correct external IP address/DNS is not being forwarded.

I have purchased a HG612 3B and flashed it with A2pv6C035m from Huawei HG612 Hacking | Unlocking the BT Openreach Huawei HG612 VDSL2 modem router
      I am able to connect to it via LAN2 and changed the LAN ip address to 192.168.1.253 (as my R7000 is on the 192.168.1.x subnet).
      I have the connected the DSL cable from the BT faceplate to the DSL port on the HG612 3B and the power light is solid green, and the DSL light is solid green and also LAN 1 is solid green. When i connect LAN2 to my laptop i can browse the Hauwie unlocked GUI and can see it says connected and have my downstream as approx 41200 and upstream as approx 9763.

I have then connected the LAN1 from the HG612 to the WAN port on my R7000 and logged in to the R7000 internet settings and entered my username and password under both PPTP and PPPOE but i cant seem to get an internet connection?

Can someone please advise where i am going wrong?

Thanks
      Sid

jkhl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

You need to flash your router with dd-wrt, and then follow the instructions in that thread. The standard firmware will not work.
      Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk (with free typos)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast