Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is my fibre cabinet full?

This is a discussion on Is my fibre cabinet full? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So, after 14 months of being a one man denial of service attack on the BT fibre availability checker, fibre ...

darthfoolish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Is my fibre cabinet full?

So, after 14 months of being a one man denial of service attack on the BT fibre availability checker, fibre became available for my property around early May.

I ordered BT infinity as soon as I could, and was given an engineer visit day of 23rd May. On that day, I was phoned by Openreach and told that no engineers could make it that day.

I already had Sky Broadband, and wanted to move to BT to save some money, but had I known at the time that Sky don't require engineer visits, I would just have ordered Sky Fibre.

So, I cancelled the BT order, and went to order with Sky, since I couldn't afford to waste more precious holidays waiting for Openreach to deign to appear.

Only to find out that now you need to have line rental with Sky to get fibre.

So, I changed my line rental over, which became active today.

I went in to MySky to attempt to order Fibre, but it wasn't coming up as an option.

So I phoned Sky, who told me that it wasn't coming up as an option for me, but they couldn't tell me why, although potentially it could be that there was no availability at my cabinet!!!

The customer service guy has filled in a CRF form, and I am to expect a call back within 2 days.

So is it possible that it's just too early after the line rental activation, or could it be that my cabinet has filled up in just over a month?

In an area with a high proportion of elderly residents I might add.

Getting very nervous!!

It is cabinet 2 on WSAYR, if that's any help to anyone.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Is my fibre cabinet full?

Were there any messages on mysky like this?
      Sky Broadband

We are currently unable to offer you any Sky Broadband upgrades

This might be because you currently have a Sky Broadband order in progress or have upgraded within the last 30 days.
      Usually when i check availability i'm given the option of an upgrade to fibre, but am currently seeing the above message because i recently changed my phone package.

I'm sure if i phoned in i'd be able to order fibre, so is probably just a quirk of the system or website.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Were there any messages on mysky like this?

Usually when i check availability i'm given the option of an upgrade to fibre, but am currently seeing the above message because i recently changed my phone package.

I'm sure if i phoned in i'd be able to order fibre, so is probably just a quirk of the system or website.
      Yes, that's what I'm seeing on the website, and I thought if I phoned, they'd be able to tell me what was up.

But they couldn't, hence the CRF form.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

No guarantees, but i suspect you'll be ok then.

I'm sure i've read on the forum more than once, of similar complications that ended well.
      In those cases i believe it was the fibre team who managed to fast track the order, so hopefully that's where the form has gone.

If sky fibre was showing as available prior to the phone rental order, it would be extremely unlucky for all of skys slots to have been taken in that time.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No guarantees, but i suspect you'll be ok then.

I'm sure i've read on the forum more than once, of similar complications that ended well.
      In those cases i believe it was the fibre team who managed to fast track the order, so hopefully that's where the form has gone.

If sky fibre was showing as available prior to the phone rental order, it would be extremely unlucky for all of skys slots to have been taken in that time.
      Can't remember if Sky fibre was showing, but BT fibre was showing as available from early May.

I don't think it would have been showing as available, as I didn't have line rental with Sky until yesterday.

Are there a certain number of allocations per ISP in the cabinet, or is it a big pool that any ISP can dip into?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by darthfoolish
      Can't remember if Sky fibre was showing, but BT fibre was showing as available from early May.
      That's a little different then.
      Sometimes there is a delay between an exchange / cabinet going live for for one isp (usually bt) and another.

I don't think it would have been showing as available, as I didn't have line rental with Sky until yesterday.
      I believe it would have, just with the accompanying caveat that sky line rental is a requirement.

Are there a certain number of allocations per ISP in the cabinet, or is it a big pool that any ISP can dip into?
      I believe it's up to each isp how many slots they acquire, but there would never be a situation where one could take them all.
      TBH i'm not 100% on how this procedure works.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

You can't order Fibre until (usually) 3 days after the previous order apparently completes as the final completion comes through about 3 days after the actual switchover.
      They don't need to send forms away they just need the Migration completed to come through.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      You can't order Fibre until (usually) 3 days after the previous order apparently completes as the final completion comes through about 3 days after the actual switchover.
      They don't need to send forms away they just need the Migration completed to come through.
      Thanks, that puts my mind at ease a bit more.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I believe it's up to each isp how many slots they acquire, but there would never be a situation where one could take them all.
      TBH i'm not 100% on how this procedure works.
      It's done on a first come first served basis. Ofcom specifically prohibits any sort of pre - allocation.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      It's done on a first come first served basis. Ofcom specifically prohibits any sort of pre - allocation.
      Apologies for going off topic.
      So assuming that all isp's receive notification of a cab going live at the same time, what happens when the cab in question has only 1000 slots & say, bt are the first to ask "can we have 850 please"?

'First come first served' seems a little too basic an explanation for something so important.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast