Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Fibre Pro - Static IP, Need to put a firewall in place, not just the one in the router

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Pro - Static IP, Need to put a firewall in place, not just the one in the router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am now in the fortunate position to have a static IP and this has once again ( after a ...

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Sky Fibre Pro - Static IP, Need to put a firewall in place, not just the one in the router

I am now in the fortunate position to have a static IP and this has once again ( after a few years break ) allowed me to run my own mail server. There are many advantages for me in doing this so let's not go into that bit.

Apart from a mail server I run a VPN to allow my wife and myself to access our own home devices when we are away. Looking at my logs, I can see that some little geeks in the PRC are trying to access my VPN, with no success I hasten to add.

My set up at present is the standard BT fibre modem to the Sky modem, then DMZ into my Asus router. It's at the Asus router I can see the attempts and I know the IP addresses of the offending systems.

Does anyone know of a good router that will allow me to enter blocks of IP addresses that will automatically be blocked? I do not know anyone in China so there's no great loss there, but it will also allow me to block other bits of the world that are prone to this sort of attack, Nigeria for example.

I have tried it with the sky router, but it does not accept the blocked addresses when there is a DMZ specified.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      batfin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newtownards
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

If the asus router supports the merlin firmware you could do away with the sky router,I'd take a guess (wrongly perhaps) that the asus router would have much more scope for more advanced features like this?